The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 ram air gran Torino sport Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2016 at 4:02PM
My conclusion is he got it at the time of sale, over the counter if you will.    Obviously has been on the car since day one. Plumbing for vac motor all looks factory too. The dealer it was purchased at, is still in Dearborn and they still really cater to the ford employee crowd. I am still trying to track down the original owners family, maybe that can shed sone light on it.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 2:24AM
Vince, you are probably right. I remember cars having that additional sheet for dealer installed items, but that was most likely years later.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 2:23PM
Well I took carpet out, seats, floor insulation, etc. not a build sheet to be found anywhere. . Damn!   
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 5:14PM
I just completed the restoration on my 72 GTS. I was the first to disassemble this car. Even the sill plates had NEVER been removed. The first thing I did after removing the sill plates was removing the back seat which had NOTHING underneath it from the original owner and looked like it had never been removed. Next I pulled back the rear carpet, and sitting right on top of the sound/vibration material was a tally sheet of some kind showing some molding adjustments that the car needed at final QC. Thats the only item it ever found. NO BUILD SHEET ANYWHERE!Cry
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 1:32AM
Guys, I pulled a '72 GTS Formal apart several years ago and finally found a build sheet in the front seat seatback. Since the material was toast, I cut open the seatback and found it attached to the seatback springs. You probably have one there as well.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 7:15AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Guys, I pulled a '72 GTS Formal apart several years ago and finally found a build sheet in the front seat seatback. Since the material was toast, I cut open the seatback and found it attached to the seatback springs. You probably have one there as well.
That's where I found my build sheet on the 72 GTS.  Big smile
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
416torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 416torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 2:33PM
I found my build sheet under carpet and under the passenger side of dash pad
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 3:50PM
Originally posted by ramair351 ramair351 wrote:

My conclusion is he got it at the time of sale, over the counter if you will.    Obviously has been on the car since day one. Plumbing for vac motor all looks factory too. The dealer it was purchased at, is still in Dearborn and they still really cater to the ford employee crowd. I am still trying to track down the original owners family, maybe that can shed sone light on it.

That is my suspicion too, since that option should not have been available at the time this car was produced.  If that dealership still exists, any chance they might have any documentation, like a bill of sale or service records?  I am sure it's a long shot, but might be worth checking.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 4:27PM
it's been suggested on good authority that the factory Ram Air option was only available on a 351C-2V

it was an emissions issue with the 4V Cobra Jet
72 GT Ute

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 3:12PM
I was able to finally contact original owners son, he shed some light on the ram air unit.   He said his dad bought it later and installed it around 1980q
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

tonym9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonym9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2016 at 11:39AM
That ram air unit is one awesome find...rare indeed. Good luck on the build, lots of pics please.   ...drooling
72 GTSFB
Ricks72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricks72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 2:17PM
[hey new here just getting ready to restore my 72 gts with ram air and saw this thread just wanted to let all you know I just read an article in muscle car enthusiast 2004 that there where only "72 " ( I know it's weird 72 sold for year 72) Gran Torino's so equipped by ford that year with ram air units if I could figure out how to post pics I'd post the article with pics is there anyone on this site that maybe could put together a ram air registry would be cool to know about how many are left the old guy I bought mine from said most got thrown out because rain rusted them out and made block off plates thanks
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 3:10PM
We love to see some pics. You should go on the welcome mat and introduce yourself and tell us your torino story. We all love a good torino story...especially one with a ram air
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 5:01PM
welcome! ^^^yes
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2018 at 8:02AM
My '72 Montego GT had that exact same R under the hood and it did NOT come with the Ram Air
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
TorinoTime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2018 at 2:38PM
Only 72 with ram air? I have been wondering-seemed like very few just early on.

Greatdane302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greatdane302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2024 at 11:00AM
I ordered a'72 GTS with Ram Air and it was delivered mid-April 1972.  It had every option that was available for the 351C 4V CJ engine and auto trannie. Don't know if the ram air came in the trunk or installed.   Once I replaced the crappy OEM Firestone tires (recalled by Firestone after I sold them) with Michelins and was sure that everything was working as designed I was clocked at 143MPH on a two mile course.   I put over 250,000 miles on it with no engine or transmission work necessary.   Yellow with a black vinyl roof.  Love to find that car and restore it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12