The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recurved Duraspark distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recurved Duraspark distributor
    Posted: 01-May-2016 at 6:41PM
Is anyone running one?

I was thinking about going with the timing specs in the old Ford performance guide that called for 16 btdc and 20 centrifugal coming in by 2800 rpm. My stock static timing was 16 btdc as well. I'm just wondering if 36 total is too much with 10.5 to 1 on 93 octane gas.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 10:54PM
I've aimed for about 32-34 with 16 initial in my 10.75:1 429 for what its worth
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2016 at 12:29AM
I am running a recurved Duraspark, used this info to set mine up:
 A lot of factors have to figured out and/or how they interact with one another, I have seen aluminum headed engines like total timing around 32 degrees BTDC, whereas a low CR iron headed engine may like 40 or more degrees of total timing. With an aftermarket cam, 16-20 initial is a good place to start with 34-36 total, basically mirroring what Nuggets suggested. A somewhat aggressive advance curve(as compared to the factory setting) with total "all in" by 2800-3K is usually a good target point but may need a tweak higher or lower for your particular combo. Good luck. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 1:20PM
That's pretty much what I've committed to at this point. I've been warned to check for potential detonation at part throttle but I figure I can tweak that with the diaphragm.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 4:12PM
Yes, you can adjust the spring tension within the vacuum diaphragm canister but it is not easy to restrict total travel length/degrees of advance. If you remove the vacuum canister/diaphragm housing from the distributor, look at the actuating arm, there should be a # embossed into the arm and the # represents 1/2 the total degrees of vacuum advance the canister will allow. If you need a "can" with less overall advance/travel, get one for a '74 F-100 w/ a 390 engine, it gives one of the least overall vacuum advance(12 degrees total, IIRC). Good luck 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 9:31AM
Awesome piece of information!

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply