The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tired of looking at your late model front end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired of looking at your late model front end
    Posted: 20-May-2016 at 4:18AM
Hear is a change in design for the front end. we all love our cars but  ford dropped the ball with the later torinos models front ends.  I took a bumper off of a 1970 olds cutlass and shape it to give  the car a earlier look.  The one thing i was unsure of was having to cut the fram back to get the bumper to sit far back enough. I had to cut the the center hump out of the bumper and trim off the wraparound the fender part but the hard part was cuting the fender angle out of the bumper it would have bin easier to bend the fenders in and trim a piece off .  I painted it black to resons one the car had to much chrome and two i didnt want to do the brass work necesary to have it chromed. I hope this helps every one stop only taking pichers of the back end of there torino and maybe more of there front end " border="">

Edited by hammer - 22-May-2016 at 5:15AM
76 gran torino brougham
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2016 at 7:45PM
Clapwell done, i like it
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 1:06AM
It loos so neat you could swear it came off the showroom this way. I'm cutting my bumper too but no you got me thinking about adapting one.
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 4:06AM
there was two poasable options one was on a skylark and one was this one that i could fined i walked around a couple car shows with a pic of my  front end looking for posable maches. the skylarke may have fit better but it had to be nerowed on both sides and still you need the brakets to modify 

Edited by hammer - 29-May-2016 at 4:43AM
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 4:16AM
 this is the hardest place to post pics ever

Edited by hammer - 29-May-2016 at 4:34AM
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 4:56AM
i you use the skylark or something els post pics i personaly think this is the one to go with
76 gran torino brougham
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 6:18AM
Maybes it's because I have always loved the smog era cars, most of which had 5 mph bumpers but I honestly don't see all the hate for the bigger bumpers? maybe a tuck closer to the body on some models but they are what they are, just run em. If I wanted a smaller bumper'd car, i'd have bought one. Now the bumper above looks good, but would be better IMO if it had been taken to the next level and done in chrome. The rear could benefit from chrome as well. That car would really POP if it had the trim done original around the windows.
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 6:33AM
This was my first car that I owned and I loved the car for 25 years but I wanted a change in look. I blacked out the trim with 3m super 88 vinel tape so I didn't destroy the trim if I wanted to return to chrome. The big deal with modifying a bumper like this is the massive amount of brass work it take to chrome it so I went with black and every one els has chrome.
76 gran torino brougham
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 9:42AM
I like it too.

Could you post a picture with a straight on front view?

The all black hides the depth perception and it is hard to pick up some of the detail on the fender edges and the valance.

Thanks for posting it.

Mike H.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 1:55PM
Originally posted by mtburger mtburger wrote:

I like it too.

Could you post a picture with a straight on front view?

The all black hides the depth perception and it is hard to pick up some of the detail on the fender edges and the valance.

Thanks for posting it.

Mike H.
yeah it is a little hard too see. any pics of the bumper before paint after you sectioned it? BTW it actually looks like a really dark purple! is it purple or black?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 5:34PM
a GS style Ram Air or cowl induction would work with the look Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 6:58PM
i will post a pic with a better camera of the painted bumper 
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 7:07PM
sorry i didnt get any pictures of the cut up bumper and it is a dupli color bedliner black the texture hides blemishes in welding. 
the car is dodge mistic purple and a high end dupont clear coat

Edited by hammer - 29-May-2016 at 7:20PM
76 gran torino brougham
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 4:15AM
i love it...  i am planning on doing something similar to leela.  great work

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 4:55PM
thanks i was thinking the same thing with the ram air hood would look nice
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 6:01PM
if you look at this bumper the same one that i used i had to cut the hump out of the center then i cut the curv off the edge then i had to cut up the side and pull the side out on the bottom the one problem is that the torino fender sits lower than the bumper so you have to makr riges to hang lower on the edge. the skylark bumper sits lower and fender angel maches better and you dont have to cut the rige out the only reson that i didnt use this is i didnt know about this when i bought the other one. this is where i found my bumper
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/parts-sale/32018-1970-72-cutlass-bumper-cores.html

Edited by hammer - 30-May-2016 at 6:23PM
76 gran torino brougham
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2016 at 9:03AM
Unpopular comment here...I don't care much for it. I think it is too tucked. I would prefer stock over this. Sorry guys, just voicing my opinion.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2016 at 2:43PM
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2016 at 5:02AM
ok it is hard to get a picture of this with out shadows
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2016 at 5:14AM
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2016 at 5:24AM
you can see where the fender sits lower than the bumper i need to cut it agine and make it extend down more this is were most of the cuting and welding was done on this bumper i had to make 3 compounding cuts so i wouldnt get my self in trouble when i bent the side out

Edited by hammer - 04-June-2016 at 4:43PM
76 gran torino brougham
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 10:46AM
STANDING OVATION!!!!

One of the coolest mods I have EVER seen on our cars!!

Drop in a set of THIN LED driving and fog lights in the bumper slots.
Wire the fogs alone and the driving to come on with the Low beams and POW!!
I mean, stack a driving and a fog in each hole.
they make thin led set ups that are 1 row tall that would fit NICELY!

IF I had a 74-76 I would be online finding one of those bumpers right now!!!

BTW...
WELCOME to the Family!

Your account should be activated now, sorry for the delay!

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2016 at 7:49AM
Thank you very much for the support hard work pays off
76 gran torino brougham
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2016 at 2:58PM
keep the pics and info coming! i like it Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2016 at 4:48PM
the Olds bumper gives it some flavor of the 72 & 73 base model front clip
72 GT Ute

hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 11:07AM
thanks i will post more on where the cuts where made to keep the curves maching and the bumper brackets
76 gran torino brougham
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 12:44PM
I'm wondering if a Skylark bumper 71-72 might have been easier. same basic shape/size without the center bump-up. Neat idea and great execution.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 2:16PM
yes i think  the skylark would have bin easier but any way you do this will have its chalenges
76 gran torino brougham
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 2:30PM
and the skylark bumper is taller to if you look at the picture on this page my fender hangs bellow the bumper
76 gran torino brougham
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 3:11PM
is the skylark bumper taller? i looked at a buddy's 71? skylark a couple of weeks ago and it looked shorter! but not sure on the year, i'm curious so i'll look more closer at his car at the next show!
 any reason why you left the opera windows???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>