The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

offenhauser dual port intake opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: offenhauser dual port intake opinions
    Posted: 01-June-2016 at 4:50PM
the engine im gonna use is a 351cj bottom end with 2v heads of a unknown year and currently has a stock 1970 4v intake. I'd like to get the proper intake on, boost bottom end as much as possible. has anyone used this offenhasuer dual port intake on their cleveland, hopefully on a 2v headed cleveland, like to hear opinions from those with first hand expierience. thanks
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2016 at 5:27PM
I don't have hands on experience but I've been doing a lot of research lately. Hopefully I've have mine running this June (finally).
Anyway here's some intake reading for you if you interested.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1334639538/Old+skool+Edelbrock+performer+4V+intake+question
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2016 at 5:57PM
thanks, thats one I haven't seen. this guy also has a edelbrock dual plane, probably a performer or the f351 which is the precursor to that. not sure which i'll get, maybe both and see which one is better, sell off the other. I have no experience with clevelands and am more of a down low torque motor man, especially in a heavy car like a torino, but i want to work with what i have for now and if it works, then leave well enough alone. not tryin to make a strip terror, just a nice cruiser that can light the tires up, one I don't have to rev and feather the hell out of the clutch to get it goin (may run more gear then my current 3.25's) and is just all around gutty enough to resemble a performance car from this era. if it ran 15's or better, i'd be tickled pink. The low end punch is what i want to boost most.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2016 at 6:28PM
i have an offenhauser on my 351W. i know it's not quite the same as a cleveland, but i'm happy with it. 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 10:43AM
Whatever intake you get, if you are running 2V heads, make sure it is for 2V heads.
Your existing combo, factory 4V intake on 2V heads... not a good match (TERRIBLE port match).
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:09AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Whatever intake you get, if you are running 2V heads, make sure it is for 2V heads.
Your existing combo, factory 4V intake on 2V heads... not a good match (TERRIBLE port match).

That was the reason I wanted a different intake. He also had a edelbrock performer for 2v heads, so i played it safe and got that. I like the theory behind the dual port offy intake, but just couldn't get firsthand opinions. All the forums have the "my friend ran it and..........".  Its 100.00 and he'll ship if anyone else might want it.

should I run the valley pan gasket or just the standard gaskets?

Edited by MrSmog - 02-June-2016 at 11:17AM
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:23AM
I wouldn't bother with the offy......just run an Edelbrock RPM intake or the Xcelerator isn't bad either

Issue with the offy is its trying to do too much so its a constant compromise 

As to gaskets, on my 351 I had valley pan on the 429 I'm using standard gaskets (Fel Pro) and then a smear of high temp, fuel resistant Renz instant gasket paste just to make sure it definitely cant leak!

Torqued before running up to temp and then torqued again when hot

For the china wall end seals, again thin smear on top and bottom of them help with sealing, stick them to the block first and allow to set for a few minutes before dropping the manifold on with a smear
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:39AM
those are both mid to high rpm range intakes, I want to boost LOW end torque for better off the line punch. as for the end seals, I usually toss them completely and use high temp rtv in a nice thick bead. Then wipe off the excess after manifold is torqued down. has worked flawlessly for the past 25 years and 20+ cars I have built.   Clevelands are just uncharted territory to me and my only experience with them was a friend who had one in a 69 falcon wit ha big shot of nitrous, clevelands love nitrous LOL

Edited by MrSmog - 02-June-2016 at 11:40AM
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:44AM
They claim to be but the RPM really isn't, it will work for low end

Your best bet if you want to keep it stock would be to get a standard performer which is still better than the offy, port match it to your heads and stick a good edelbrock 600 or 650 on top of it

I had the Xcelerator on my 351 and it was fine, highway gears and it still pulled just fine
Barnaby

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:52AM
re-read my post above your first reply, i got the performer he had. I have the brand new 600 holley that was on the cast iron 4v head/4v intake and along with the CJ bottom end and I assume the stock CJ cam, should work out pretty good for what I want to do. The performer is much better suited to low end then the performer rpm, but i imagine the performer rpm would be a good choice for a hotter engine that still wants to retain some low end as well.

Edited by MrSmog - 02-June-2016 at 11:54AM
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:54AM
In that case if you've got the performer already I wouldn't bother looking at the offy
Barnaby

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:56AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

In that case if you've got the performer already I wouldn't bother looking at the offy

The man that had the offy also had the perfomer, looked at both and decided on the edelbrock as the safer bet. You have ran the offy dual port? or just goin off internet information/misinformation/opinion?

Edited by MrSmog - 02-June-2016 at 11:57AM
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 11:59AM
I would assume the 351c version is no better than the Buick 215 version, the 215 version is a pig.....not worth the ally its made from
Barnaby

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 12:03PM
Hard to base an opinion on two different engines but thats the sort of opinions I ran into on the offy dual port when i searched the ford forums. Thats why I asked for first hand experience based opinions on this thread.
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 4:44PM
My dad has an Offy 360 on his 4V Cleveland. It runs very well I must say. While the 4V is a total different beast from what you are building. I am building an Aussie headed 351 and am using a f351 intake because I have it already. I will let you know how it works out.

Edited by antlerfiend - 02-June-2016 at 4:45PM
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 4:53PM
If i could find a good deal on a set of those aussie heads, i'd be all over em.   I think the f351 is simply a performer, should have plenty of bottom end snap with the compression those heads will give you. I read the offy dual port gave really good mpg results, your father ever comment on that?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2016 at 5:23PM
actually since alex mentioned it... the offy 360, that's what i have  IIRC the offy dual port has divided runners? the 360 is different, it is like a separated (divided) single plane but is actually a dual plane manifold. the only reason i chose the offy for my windsor is because they are about the only one that have the 16 bolts for the older motors, the newer ones only have 12 bolts Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2016 at 3:11PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i have an offenhauser on my 351W... 
Haha kinda way different than the std 360/180 Offy's Johnny, but they do look like they used the same core boxes for the outside. theory is that the primaries run in the lower plane where the engine heat helps atomization and the secondaries run in the upper plane where they stay cool for power. being split, the primaries see better velocity through the runners than if the intake was not split like the 360/180's. Dan Jones or I forget his first name McLain (Pantera guys) did some extensive work on one, cutting it open to port the primaries for better distribution & flow, it is fairly restrictive as cast. they also trimmed back the dividers near the end of the runners to allow better flow into the heads / valve bowls, result was overall improvement but still no Mega-Manifold

Yup I've run the Dual Port on a 351-2V, it's the King of low end with the expected sacrifice at the top

72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2016 at 4:00PM
man I haven't seen a predator carb in a long time lol    yea I think the restricted top end is probably worse on the 2v heads vs the 4v heads. be a good candidate for extrude hone to thin the runners down to less that top end restriction. oh well, im sure the performer will work for what i want.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2016 at 12:59PM
the restriction is due to the internal design where the secondaries on the upper level need to pass around the primary plenum drop down to the lower level. it gets pretty tight for the air to make it from the back of the manifold to the front cylinders

aside from maybe the SP2P intake shown in the Hoovering thread link above, the Dual Port doesn't have much competition in the Low End dept. and it does definitely give up on the top end as some comments above indicate. the Performer is actually not too bad of an intake for what it is, I never gave it any respect until I saw a 3rd party comparison post by a guy I believe. I don't recall the specifics but the Performer didn't blow the combo at all! it held in there with some highly regarded manifolds & I want to say it ran in the 12's on that car / that day during the intake swap session  

possibly just as or even more important than the intake, the cam in a 351C can break the combo if it's got too much overlap for the TQ converter & rear gear

do you know anything about the cam you're running?
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2016 at 2:18PM
I "think" its a stock cj cam. It does sound a bit choppy to me for a stocker, but i am not very familiar with clevelands like i said. I have heard other 351cj's in youtube videos for what thats worth and they sound about the same. When I swap the performer on i'll check timin and change the points, see if that helps things. Pretty sure I'm gonna swap some 3.70's in the rear since 90% of the drivin around my area is 55 or lower. My car is a 4 spd too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 4:18AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

When I swap the performer on i'll check timin and change the points ...

do you have the factory dual point dizzy?

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-June-2016 at 4:19AM
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 4:27AM
yes and will eventually swap it out for a electronic of some sort.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 4:48AM
after you pull it out i'll hold on to it for ya Hahaha

I'd just get another factory dizzy & put a points eliminator module in it, keep the stock look
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 5:52AM
lol   Yea I'll probably keep it around for now, but if I ever decide to part with it, I'll give you a heads up. I had my eye on the pertronix units, maybe recurve the weights too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 4:28PM
it's a very hard to find collectors piece, especially if it's not jacked up Wink
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 4:53PM
yea i saw them goin for crazy money on ebay. I'll report back after i do the intake swap and see how the car acts. want to do things one step at a time so i can see where the problem was. z I'd like to swap all the base cj cars goodies onto one of the fastbacks before next winter.  I was lookin at this distributor but wonder if the factory tach will work with it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBF-Ford-351C-429-460-V8-Coil-Hei-Distributor-50-000-50k-Volt-w-Blue-Cap-/172029350977?hash=item280dbf9441:g:bT4AAOSwp5JWbm~l&vxp=mtr

Edited by MrSmog - 05-June-2016 at 5:37PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 5:55PM
yes it will! the factory tach runs inline of the positive to the coil just hook that wire to the terminal on that dist. marked "bat" check to see that you have 12 volts there if not bypass the resister wire from the ignition switch to the same wire outside of the firewall. ignore the terminal marked "tach" that's for the newer 3 wire tachs. BTW you can get the proper wire pigtail with the plastic clip at any auto parts store for a GM HEI distributor Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply