FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ranchero carb issues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Ranchero carb issues?
    Posted: 12-June-2016 at 2:06PM
^^^what they said! could still be a vacuum leak, but i'd check the carb issues first sounds like maybe some crud clogging a idle circuit
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 1:02PM
Replace the fuel filter.
If you are running on the gas that sat for years, drain it and re-fill with new, clean gas,
it should run better.
If the filter keeps getting clogged you will have to clean out the tank and fuel lines (Which is a really good idea if the car has been sitting anyway)
Check and replace any and all vacuum lines or caps.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 12:20PM
WELCOME to the Family!

Your account should be activated now.
Did you pull the carb COMPLETELY apart??
Did you blow carb cleaner through ALL the holes and passages followed by high pressure air and possible with a small wire to acts like a plumbers snake? if not it sounds like you have debris still in crucial passages.
Did you pull out the idle mixture screws? Did you count the turns IN as you seated them THEN pulled them completely out, cleaned the passages, cleaned the needles and springs, screwed them all the way in and then backed them out the original number of turns (somewhere between 1-2 turns).
Is the float adjusted/set properly?

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
eyemall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyemall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 6:10AM
I put the old gasket back under the carb. It still doesn't want to idle. It will run as long as your give it gas. But seems like the gas just shuts off when you let off the pedal. I pulled the top off of the carb while it was still on the car. There is still trash in the bottom even after all the cleaning. So I am going to pull it again later and clean it out again. 
eyemall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyemall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2016 at 3:13PM
I recently bought a 1977 Ford Ranchero.  It had been sitting for a long time. It was my aunt's car. She had bought it several years before she died and right before she passed sold it to my uncle. He was going to build it for his son, but had no time to work on it. I managed to pick it up for 300 dollars. The car would idle very good but wouldn't take gas. I know a little about carbs but almost nothing about Ford carbs. I decided to take a look inside. I found it was very dirty. Dirt Daubers had made nests  in the ports on the choke air horn and the dirt had fallen into the float bowl. I cleaned that out as well as found that the accelerator pump was stuck. Along with holes in the diaphragm. Also the choke pull down doesn't work. I got the parts to fix these issues except for the pull down.  When I placed the carb back on the car it started and would run. But it would only idle for a few seconds before dying. I remembered that there was a vacuum port on the bottom that had given me some problems when I was trying to get it home. The cap had dry rotted and fallen off, but I had improvised a fix. I did that again but it still will not idle. Could this still be a vacuum leak? Around the gasket? Also the carb on the car is a e3ue-da isn't that from a new model auto? Where do I look to find the block codes and what is a good site to look them up at?
 Post Reply Post Reply