The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power window unit removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power window unit removal
    Posted: 25-June-2016 at 7:31AM
should I or must I remove rivets before attempting to remove unit.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2016 at 11:15AM
yes you'll need to grind off the rivets to remove the regulator. and to reuse it just some short 1/4" bolts and poly lock nuts to take place of the rivetsWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2016 at 1:18PM
Also, if you look at the metal inner panel near where the electric window motor is located, you will see 3 small dimples in the metal. If you drill these dimples out with a drill bit that will allow a 5/16 deep dwell 1/4" drive socket to just pass through, it will enable you to remove the electric window motor from the regulator assembly which makes the assembly much easier to remove. Just a thought. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 5:02AM
Driver side has the holes already drilled,now I know why.Thanks. Side note anyone ever replaced standard for deluxe dome light.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 7:28AM
yeah bob, i swapped dome lights, i had to run a extra hot wire for the map lights you'll need that plastic insulator that is on the wires, it mounts the light and gets power through the screw keeping it insulated from grounding out
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 7:54AM
Ya that would mean removing head liner not sure its worth that much work.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 8:33AM
yeah that's true, i forgot i run my extra wire before i installed my new headliner Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 11:58AM
Back to window.Do I have to remove plastic piece from glass, before removal.Or how the hell do I get it out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 2:17PM
remove the two bolts on each plastic guides around the window track pipe looking thing then remove it if the three sided metal bracket is riveted to the glass it can be a bitch to get the window out with that bracket on there! i fought mine for a while, one was bolted one was riveted, so when i put the car back together i used the bolt things from my old corvette window...they fit the torino window perfect!!! much easier to unbolt that bracket take it out then lift the glass out Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2016 at 11:55PM
Mine is not metal its plastic,and it an't coming out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 2:47AM
the newer cars must be different? sorry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 3:38AM
Don't be sorry I am. Should have lift in car hope I can remove rivets without breaking glass
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 11:33AM
Don't know what rivets are made of but I could not drill them out so I just cut a section out of the door.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 11:49AM
The rivets in the doors I have seen are made of aluminum, if the center pin is still in the rivet it will be a major PITA to drill out the rivet. If so, just use a punch to remove the remaining piece of pin by driving it inward until it drops into the door's cavity, now the drill bit will be happy again Wink and should easily drill the rivet out(if the bit is still sharp).
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 2:18PM
I was afraid I would brake the glass.I just cam't believe they put glass in then rivet plastic to it.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2016 at 6:26PM
i used one of those small air cut off tools to grind off the rivet then knock it loose. yes i think on the older cars with the metal bracket i think they put the glass in then riveted it together Angry there is a wider section of the door but it is still about 1/8" wider than the opening!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2016 at 1:20AM
Mine won't fit. Am going to try a drumel tool.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2016 at 7:18AM

tried drumal tool.The plastic started to melt.Drove out pin and tried to drill out like normal rivets. The plastic melted before I got through rivet. Its out but plastic washers are destroyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply