Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spohn Rear Suspension - Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spohn Rear Suspension - Opinions?
    Posted: 03-August-2016 at 1:00PM
I am considering replacing my rear suspension with the Spohn kit:

I know a few people here have used them.  Can anyone give me there opinion on how well the setup works?  Is there any increase in harshness, vibration or road noises?  Any opinons on the long term durability of the Del-Sphere joints?

Please chime in with your two cents!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 3:02PM
Anyone?  I know there are several members here how have bought these...
Vince

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 3:38PM
I hope someone chimes in with real hands on experience as well, I like the looks of this setup as well. The lowers look like they may be easily made too.

Edited by MrSmog - 06-August-2016 at 3:39PM
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 4:12PM
I like their uppers, but I think I'd be more comfortable using Metco lowers instead of the Spohn lowers. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 5:11PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

I like their uppers, but I think I'd be more comfortable using Metco lowers instead of the Spohn lowers. 

Whys that? I'd be afraid to mix and match to be honest. I bet they are designed to work as a set.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:24AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

Whys that? I'd be afraid to mix and match to be honest. I bet they are designed to work as a set.

Well...their heim ends on those lowers are castings, and just look kind of weak to me. They would probably be more than fine for road racing, but for hard core drag racing, they make me nervous. Those ends would be talking ALL the force of a hard launch. I had a 700hp Crown Vic that pulled the front wheels, and I'd be really weary of breaking those ends. I did have the metco upper and lowers in that car (metco doesn't seem to make uppers for the Torino though). 

I would bet nobody has broken those ends, it's just the drag racer in me though that questions their strength I guess. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:55AM
I used to drag and street race quite a bit and actually made some adjustable traction bars for a v8/5spd dakota I used to race. I used ends like those and even though it wasn't 700 hp, it did launch pretty violently due to bein a stick on slicks. they never failed but they do look like a weak point at first glance. I guess there are upgraded ends you could use out there ?????
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 5:13AM
Metco ones definitely look better

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCA0010&cat=93
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 1:03PM

Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

Well...their heim ends on those lowers are castings, and just look kind of weak to me. They would probably be more than fine for road racing, but for hard core drag racing, they make me nervous. Those ends would be talking ALL the force of a hard launch. I had a 700hp Crown Vic that pulled the front wheels, and I'd be really weary of breaking those ends. I did have the metco upper and lowers in that car (metco doesn't seem to make uppers for the Torino though). 

I would bet nobody has broken those ends, it's just the drag racer in me though that questions their strength I guess. 
700 H.P. Crown Vic!!!!! PIX!!!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 1:36PM

Spohn Del-sphere joints are one-piece forgings not castings. 

Metco arms look pretty but aren't great for anything but straight line driving IMO.  Our Torino's have four link rear suspensions, where the lower control arm must move in a different arc from the upper.  On stock cars this is done through the soft rubber bushings and flexible lower arms.  The stiff Metco arms  with poly bushings can induce suspension bind. 

The other issue is that OEM control arms have pinion angle adjustment built into the bushings.  All aftermarket bushings, rubber or poly do not.  Spohn arms deal with the bind with Del-sphere joints allowing 28 degrees or movement at each joint, while keeping the rear axle firmly planted.  They also allow pinion angle adjustment.

I am not looking to drag race, just trying to get the best handling out of my car while keeping it streetable, and reliable.  I also don't see much me wanting more than 400 hp when I do my engine build.

I know I have talked to John (Backinblack) who runs these arms and he has nothing but good to say.  Just looking to see others experience before I plunk down that kind of money.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:05PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

700 H.P. Crown Vic!!!!! PIX!!!!!

Don't want to highjack, but it is a bit relevant since I did have aftermarket arms.

Here's a few pics....  Whippled, built, 5.4 Lightning motor.

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:14PM
Thumbs Up looks like it hooks pretty good!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:20PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Spohn Del-sphere joints are one-piece forgings not castings. 

Definitely looks like a nice product! I'm impressed with the design. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 10:26AM
I have them on my 1972.  Work great - reduce body sway and help the big block launch.  Well made and no fitment issues.
Anton Olafsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Olafsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 10:58AM
I put them under the 429 torino. So far very happy.
Regards from ICELAND
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 2:35PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Either one of you have a comment on how the street ride is?  Any extra harshness compared to the stock setup?
So far, three people that have purchased them report positive results, which is great to hear.  I think these will definitely be on my on my list to purchase.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 2:40PM
how much is the cost of the complete kit to change it over?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
Anton Olafsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Olafsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2016 at 9:51AM
I never drove the car before. But the car is very streetable. The owner says it handel much better now. But the frame was Wery rotten in the back so that Also helps. ..
Regards from ICELAND
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2016 at 10:01AM
Spohn stuff seems fine on the street to me.  On the other hand, I don't give a flip about "harshness".
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2016 at 2:59PM
Originally posted by cggrob cggrob wrote:

Spohn stuff seems fine on the street to me.  On the other hand, I don't give a flip about "harshness".

Thanks for the feedback!  Seems like nothing but positive so far.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 3:42PM
can someone tell me, how much is the cost of the complete kit to change it over from stock to whatever they have to offer? i dont have internet, so i am accessing this on my phone, and i cant get the spohn site to work very well for me to do my own research.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 5:12PM
1-888-365-6064
per their web site:
 rear lower arms      #FT 205           $249.00
lower hardware kit  #FT 981           $  15.95
upper rear arms      #FT 607           $199.00
upper hardware kit #FT 975           $  15.95

$479.90 + $14.95 shipping

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 5:39PM
these are for the rear of the car? do they offer any front suspension parts?

thank you so much john!!  Thumbs Up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 5:46PM
for the rear!  i didn't see any for the front but there is a company that made tubular upper arms for the front and a spherical strut rod for our cars there is a thread here somewhere?...little shop mfg

http://www.littleshopmfg.com/strut-rod-isolators-for-ford-cars/

http://www.littleshopmfg.com/gran-torino-upper-control-arm-pair/

Edited by californiajohnny - 01-September-2016 at 6:16PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 6:03PM
if you find that thread, let me know, i would love to check it out!!!  Thumbs Up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 6:17PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2017 at 3:06PM
Christmas came early!

When I finish rebuilding/restoring/installing the third member, I'll take it through to twisties near my house and post some feedback!!!!  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2017 at 2:38AM
Please report back.  These are on my long term bucket list. 

What are you running for springs and shocks?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2017 at 6:46AM
They aren't too far from me and I've been seriously considering them.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2017 at 12:15PM
"christmas came early" i think santa's been drinkingBeer...he dropped them off at the wrong damn house!!! lolLOLWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>