The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from SC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from SC
    Posted: 06-August-2016 at 2:53AM
Hello all I'm Jonathan and I've been here before, and was rather a know it all back then but now the difference a few years makes on the brain...I'll refrain from sounding like a know it all now hopefully.  Lets see my wagon

And I'm pretty sure these will help so if anyone has a question I can try to find the answer in this...

I basically bought the wagon from my dad when he was wanting to sell it, it sat in my back yard for about a year, during which it developed a leak in the window seal and created a mold fest in the inside glove box and rust on parts of the drivers side dash, which was cracked from sun anyway.

I might have a friend who is willing to help me restore it so fingers crossed here I go down the long path of restoring a vehicle for the very first time.
Jonathan
1975 Ford Gran Torino Wagon 351C
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 10:36AM
Welcome again, & good luck on your journey. Looks like it shouldn't be too bad, depending on which direction you decide to go, back to orig., resto mod, show car, etc.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 11:10AM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
tallon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 1:32PM
Well she is blowing oil in her exhaust so I really need to get all the way down to the block to do a good inspection of seals and such (along with oil turning black one day after being in her...)  I would be looking for an all OEM restore or close to.  I wouldn't mind making it nice enough for a show vehicle as well, but one step at a time. I probably need to replace all the gaskets in the engine to stop the oil as I have never torn the engine up all the way to the block.
Jonathan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 1:46PM
Shocked oil in the exhaust? that's not good...broken ring or piston? or bad valve guides? oil turning black in one day?????never seen that before except in a dieselShocked does it run ok or is it missing? check all your spark plugs and see if one or two are really oily!!! that may at lease tell you the offending cylinder(s)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
tallon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 1:54PM
It runs a little rough after warming up so I'm suspecting a gasket.  It goes to almost a full stop when it idles so my timing could be off as well.

Yah I will be doing that, but right now I'm a network install tech right now who just got a new vehicle to drive...once I get new insurance I can turn that into my daily driver, but for now it's the Torino being driven to work each day.

When I say oil in the exhaust I mean when I come to a stop and have to bring my idle up some due to rough running I see the slightly blue exhaust coming out of tailpipe.  (stupid exhaust shop shorted my exhaust pipe so now it hits back fender and comes inside...I still have to go get that fixed...)

Edited by tallon - 06-August-2016 at 1:55PM
Jonathan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 2:01PM
oh ok it's just burnin' a little oil that's not quite so bad check your timing, plugs, etc. could do a compression test too, see where you're at, most likely it very well could be needing valve seals that's not that bad of a job to do compared to tearing into the engine Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:22AM
As far as oil turning black in a day...possible sludge motor????
Look at buildup under valve covers and intake. If it looks like the "Lava Rocks" for a gas grill, don't screw around, just rebuild or replace.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 4:19AM
I've got to get my valve cover gaskets replaced - the originals from 1972 are still on there and leaking! I'll get photos when then come off.
72 Montego MX Wagon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 4:51AM
original leaking gaskets...i'll bet it looks like lava rocks on the outside of the exhaust manifold Shocked i've seen that before!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2016 at 4:43AM
I wouldn't say lava rocks, but it's safe to say I go to bed at night dreaming of headers.

72 Montego MX Wagon
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2016 at 10:15AM
Welcome to the site! I saw in the map thread that you're in Irmo. I'm either up on the northeast side of town or on the USC campus. Great looking wagon...love the way the side looks with just the 74-76 lower trim.

Edited by GTW - 13-August-2016 at 10:15AM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
tallon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 2:13AM
Well now she's blowing white smoke pretty solid.  I've tried disconnecting the transmission modulator and she still keeps smoking bad (think bug haze).  There's no moisture coming from the exhaust at all, I'm worried here guys....this isn't normal.
Jonathan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 3:57AM
wow, thick white smoke, yeah that sure sounds like tranny fluid or diesel being burned through the motor that will cause solid white smoke!!! coolant being burned can smoke like that too
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 3:45AM
Welcome. Through patience and perseverance all things are possible to fix. Don't let your first build project intimidate you, you eat an elephant one bite at a time.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 7:37AM
welcome.  nice wagon, keep us updated with pics and posts

love watching these cars get a new life
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
tallon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2016 at 8:23AM
Hello, and I guess I need to start a progress page in the correct area...I'll get to that as soon as I have time. ;)
Jonathan
glennford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glennford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 12:24PM
welcome Tallon,
nice looking wagon, I'm down here in charleston sc 
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 5:58PM
WELCOME AGAIN
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply