The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

p/s pump restore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p/s pump restore
    Posted: 07-June-2008 at 2:28PM
hi guys, i am restoring/rebuilding/resealing a 73 power steering pump.     I have found a kit to do it. but anyone know the proper color?  all rebuilds I  have seen are black, and most originals are greasy brown/black. but actually, underneath all that grime. they seem to be painted a dark metallic blue.  This color is on the reservoir and the cast pump.  I have 2 of them. from different cars, and they are both this way. I believe they are made by saginaw. anyone ever seen this blue?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2008 at 11:18AM
National Parts Depot has the correct color in a spray can.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 2:01PM
Yes that  is the correct color,dark metallic blue.My friend shane had his 2500 mile all original 76 starsky&hutch limited at carlisle and the p/s pump was that metallic blue color.I got lots of pics of it.It is probably the same blue from at least 1972-up.Where did you get the reseal kit from?I could probably use one to.
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 2:22PM

this is what i came up with, its actually darker than the picture shows, the flash reflected off the metallic paint.       i was tired of the pump always having this greasy residue all over it. as well as every 72-73 torino i have had.

i got the reseal kit from parts plus, Edelmann #8500
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2008 at 1:18PM
Looks good!Wink
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 5:45AM
How difficult is it to rebuild a P/S pump? Are there any special tools needed (like an arbor or anything)?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 5:54AM
i didnt actually rebuild it, it worked perfectly.  and i couldnt find a rebuild kit anyway, just a reseal kit. the reseal kit did come with a new shaft bushing that had to be pressed in, thats the only special tool needed.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2008 at 6:17AM
I assume the differences between a reseal kit and a rebuild kit (if they made one) would be bearings? As I would assume that a reseal kit would have all of the seals needed?

I mention that because I have never had a pump fail due to bearing wear out, rather they just end up leaking so darn badly that you are forced to replace them.

And probably 20% of the power steering pumps I have installed in the last 15 years also were leaky, at least a bit (some worse than others). 
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2008 at 7:26AM
there were no bearings inside really, just that sleeve/bushing thats kind of a babbit bearing material.   about 8 tiny rotors and springs that rotate in a concentric,  that will fly all over your workbench if you dont know to expect them.   you cant really beat the full frame torino p/s setup, one finger ease, and almost never a failure. except for leaks.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2008 at 4:30PM
I finally got around to installing the pump,  I must have put all the pistons and springs back in right!       it took alot more fluid than i planned on, I was scrounging in the garage pretty hard.    Still it groaned and growled alot for about 10 minutes before it calmed down.        No leaks so far....
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Post Reply Post Reply