The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 75 Elite one-owner 'barn find'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grokrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 75 Elite one-owner 'barn find'
    Posted: 21-August-2016 at 5:32AM
I posted some low quality pics of this car back in my "intro" post about 9 months ago, and now have a new set of pics to show after working on the car and getting it ready for some car meets. I spent about a week on the paint with the buffer and Meguir's products. The car is very low miles (25,000) the owner passed and the car sat in a garage for close to 15 years. Luckily it needed very little to revive it to one of the nicest 'barn finds' I've ever seen.

I have an Imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/TpaYl

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 5:50AM
Clap looks brand new!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Grokrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grokrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 6:27AM
There some oxidation on the hood but otherwise it looks, drives and feels like a new vintage car. The original owner (rip) clearly loved this old Ford and pampered it.
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 7:49AM
Wow, that looks VERY nice! Thumbs Up
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
My website: www.chrisherbphoto.com
Grokrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grokrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 9:08AM
Thanks although credit goes to the original owner for its state of preservation!
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 10:42AM
Looks fantasticThumbs Up The old owner would be pleased, I'm sure.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 12:56PM
Very nice, it looks great!  What McGuiars products and methods did you use on the paint?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Grokrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grokrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 1:42PM
I went to Harbor Freight (yes, I know...) had a coupon for their 6" dual-action buffer/polisher. Also got the Meguire's Ultra-cut compound, then the Ultr-fine Polishing compound, then the glaze, then the yellow wax. These were the really big bottles too. Also got packs of various grade polishing wheels and microfibre cloths, also at HF. Actually I stocked up on the microfibre cloths at a dollar store.

Used the ultra-cut to rub out the oxidation and minor scratches, using the orange pad. Then the polishing compound to really bring out the shine, by that point it already looked pretty good, but the glaze just gives it that mirror-like permanent wet shine. I switched between the dual-action polisher and hand application for the yellow wax.

If I had a suggestion for anyone, it's don't buy this stuff at the local auto parts chain, it's ridiculously overpriced. Harbor Freight and dollar stores may also carry them for half.
Grokrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grokrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2016 at 1:47PM
Forgot to add, also got the Clay Bar also at HF. That was step one after washing the car, go over it with the clay bar. That took a while on its own. THEN begin the buffing out process with the ultra-cut compound and orange pad. The three-pack of 6" pads indicate which to use for which step. Orange for rubbing out, blue for polishing, then black for glaze and wax. You'll want a ton of microfibre cloths on hand too, as you go through them quick.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2016 at 2:55AM
Great find, she looks PURDY!!!!! Wink 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2016 at 6:18AM
Beautiful car!  Looks great!!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply