FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Lights Not Working - Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
2beginers&70Trorino View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beginers&70Trorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Lights Not Working - Help
    Posted: 31-July-2021 at 4:00PM
got a 79 Torino Hardtop, two door, straight numbers, I did turn the original 302 into 347 stroker.. 
Rear break and signal will not work.
The front and side signals work.
Running lights work when on.
Really perplexed here!
Any help would be appreciated! 
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2018 at 1:38AM
No Problem. Here to help!Big smileThumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
COTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2018 at 12:56PM
THANKS T BIRD!!! Parts store had two new flasher fuses. Front and rear signals are working!! Now just have to get the side ones going.
'73 Torino H Code Sport Top
Wife named her "Baby"
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2018 at 10:05AM
I went through this on My 'bird. Yes, you need both flashers in place for the system to function.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
COTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2018 at 8:20AM
The turn signals on my '72 are not working.  I only have ONE fuse - top right "hazard flasher'...  do I need the second or is the diagram just a variation for multiple model years? ...Hopefully it is that simple...but I somehow doubt it...  Pic below:

'73 Torino H Code Sport Top
Wife named her "Baby"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2016 at 6:13AM
Definitely check the brake light switch.  The one on my car has been replaced a couple times in it's life for failing.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 5:21PM
there should be one labeled stop on the fuse box
yes brake and stop are the same
the turn signal element is the same as the brake light in the bulbs
check all the fuses first if they are all good and making contact on both ends of the fuse then check for power at the brake light switch (one wire will be hot the other should have power coming out as the switch is activated which runs up into the turn signal switch and onto the rear bulbs

the brake light switch is on the brake pedal up near the steering column, looks like this:
New 1971-72 Ford Mustang,Torino Brake Light Switch, without power brakes72-79 Ford Torino Elite Ranchero Brake Light switch + Harness

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 4:39PM
Hi group - I've been searching on this topic for a couple hours, and am not sure which direction to go. I just noticed that my brake lights (72 GTS) aren't working, although they did work when I last checked a few months back. 

My 'reverse lights' work, both 'turn signals' work, and the 'tail lights' and 'side lights' also still work (when the headlights are turned on). 

A few questions: 
1) are the 'turn signal' and 'brake' bulbs the same? 
2) are the 'tail light' and 'brake' bulbs the same? 
3) are the terms, "brake lights" and "stop lights" synonymous? (I'm asking because I see "stoplights" indicated as position 7 on the attached diagram)

From reading a few threads, I was able to glean the following: it appears that the brake pedal activates the brake lights via a signal coming from the "brake light switch".

I'm a real novice, so anything too complex and I'll have to have it worked on professionally. I'm hoping that maybe there is a fuse that might be causing it??? - and it's something I can resolve myself.

If this is the case, does anyone have a picture of what the "brake light switch" should look like? 
And, does anyone have a picture of the fuse box? (and confirm which fuse I would need to replace)

Please see the diagram and let me know if I'm even in the right ballpark of what to be looking at here. Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply