The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moving a 72 Ranchero sideways with no front suspen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving a 72 Ranchero sideways with no front suspen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving a 72 Ranchero sideways with no front suspen
    Posted: 14-September-2016 at 8:38PM
I need some thoughts on this.
I need to move my Ranchero from one side of the concrete driveway to the other. So say 10 feet at most. Probably less.
Yes, poor planning on my part. I should have parked the Ranchero where I need it now before I started to work on it. I can be stupid at times. I also didn't anticipate this taking months.

Problem is there is no front suspension on it at all, and I need to move it before that is going to change.
Car is complete except for that. Front is on jackstands right now. Rear is sitting on the tires like normal.

budget for this has to be $150 or so, preferably less.

I can get dollies to put under the rear tires, although I have not had a good experience with those you get from HF. And it looks to me like the other places that are selling them are selling the same ones but for a higher price. In the past I replaced the casters  on the ones I used to have and that helped a lot, but it more than doubled the cost.
But for the limited distance I am willing to try them again.

Problem is what to do with the front? Big problem is that I am doing this alone.
I have thought about using a floor jack, moving the car a foot in front, then a foot in back, etc, until it is moved where I need it. But there has to be a better way.
Thinking about getting 4 of the HF dollies, just not sure where I could put them in front. Need to make sure the engine isn't damaged in doing this.

I am not able to weld something structural that would hold up a 3000+ lb car. I'll be doing good to get the floor pans replaced and not have them fall off once I get to that point. Embarrassed

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 14-September-2016 at 8:43PM
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2016 at 10:54PM
I'd stick with your original idea....the floor jack method. By the time you build something or even make a return trip to Harbor Freight the Ranchero will be moved.
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2016 at 10:59PM
call some movers with heavy duty furniture dolleys, put some cut 4x4 on top of the dollies for height, use them to support the front of the car (from somewhere?) and then you also have 2 guys to help.

maybe?

72 Montego MX Wagon
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2016 at 2:29AM
either idea would work! just move it a little at a time if needed i use a floor jack all the time to do stuff like that
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2016 at 9:18PM
Thanks.
I will probably try the floor jack before doing something else, since I already have one of those.
Just need to be careful, I forgot that the driveway is sloped a bit. Will have to have the ebrake on and if it starts rolling drop the jack really fast when doing the rear.
Really wish I would think ahead all the time, I normally do but I really expected this to be a couple of days and done.
Russ
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 5:59AM
Id go with floor jack as long as your driveway is smooth enough and you have a couple guys to help push the car. Or second vote harbor freight for wheel dolly's. Use the 20% off coupon that is in every single magazine. They have improved them. First set I bought the caster wheel bearings feel out after a couple uses. They gave me a new set of casters for them but of course the holes didn't line up... Anyway the last set I bought Ive had no issues with.
Mach1000
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 9:22AM
Might be a thought...
Someone with a towtruck?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 9:30PM
tow trucks cost money. My budget got cut drastically today after spending on other needs.

I remembered that I have four 4inch casters I had bought a while back to build a body cart type of thing for my Pinto. So I bought a 4x4 piece of wood today, had it cut in half, so I have two 4foot long pieces. Will take one of them and mount all 4 casters on it (to even out the load on it from the car) and use that in the front. Will use the jack on the rear. I'll probably use both halves for the Pinto later on.

Going to try to plan on doing this next weekend. Hopefully. Going to try to get the thing put together later today if I didn't spend too much already, still have to get some bolts or something to attach the casters with. Thinking lag bolts for now, drilling a straight hole thru the whole 4x4 will be difficult as I don't have a 4inch drill bit. Not even sure about what size bolts I need to fit the casters.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 17-September-2016 at 9:32PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2016 at 2:36AM
sounds like that should work. if not floor jack will! just jack up one end and move it over 6" or whatever and jack up the other end and move it the same, changing the jack end for end until you get it where you want it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2016 at 5:07AM
What will keep the 4x4 from flipping over when you start to push the car? Are you going to bolt or clamp it to the bottom of the frame of the car?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2016 at 8:04AM
Use an engine hoist. Hook a chain to the crossmember, jack it up just a bit and roll it away. BTW, if you have the emergency brake on, it will not work, as the rear wheels must roll to be able to pivot.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2016 at 9:09AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Use an engine hoist. Hook a chain to the crossmember, jack it up just a bit and roll it away. BTW, if you have the emergency brake on, it will not work, as the rear wheels must roll to be able to pivot.
yes, just block one rear tire to keep it from rolling forward, so the other side can roll enough to pivot! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 2:02PM
Well, this has become an emergency. Got a zoning violation today about the Ranchero, so it needs to move twice. Once to get the Mustang out, and then moved to where the Mustang is right now (behind a gate in the backyard).

Engine hoist won't work as I don't have room in front where it need to be moved to the first time. Probably going to try the jack method to get it out of the way, and then back to where it is. Then I just have to move it forward 20 feet or so, might be able to do the hoist then. Or just the jack in front and pushing from the rear.

Or just sell the stupid thing real fast. I have 14 days before they reinspect.

Thanks,
Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 3:15PM
jack method should work fine, can you get a neighbor to help too? sounds like a place i wouldn't want to live!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 3:33PM
do like i did with one of my chargers. get a pair of those 1500 pound wheel dollies from harber freight, (50 bucks) a good sized piece of wood, (or pieces as the case may be) strap them all up to the frame of the car and under the dollies, so that theyre all rigid and solid and move them around as you wish. between these and a floor jack, you should be set. i had to move my car over 20 feet this way. took about an hour start to finish.
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2016 at 7:29PM
I am going to try that.
I had to move it today using two floor jacks. After I figured out that the car had to be up in the air on both jacks it worked, to a point. About 4 feet into the move it started to roll backwards (on a slight slope). I managed to get it just far enough sideways to allow me to park my dd there and eventually (next weekend) to move my Mustang out of the back yard, where the Ranchero now needs to end up.
Doing this alone sucks. Not sure how I am going to get it up the driveway. Might have to use the Mustang as a push car. Not sure yet. Might see about having a tow company move it, need to find one that can handle a car with no front suspension.

Thanks,
Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2016 at 6:17AM
See if they have a small 1ton wrecker, it should have frame forks that sit in the wheel lift and go up under the frame to pick it up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 4:38AM
Russ, hopefully you got this moved. My vote was breaking down and calling in a tow truck.
IN the end it's a lot safer and less of a headache to move a car. In my case I has a small lawn trailer and a lawn tractor to roll in and out of the garage at one point but on a slope you are playing with fire.

If the car falls off the jacks or if it lands on you...or rolls into the street...

I've pushed stuff using my truck with the snowplow before as well. but those are generally junk cars.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 6:53PM
Thanks.

I thought I had posted the conclusion here, guess it was in my project thread. Confused

I did end up calling a tow truck. My luck, I called the wrong one though. Very friendly guy, but totally clueless. I still haven't looked under the car, but I know there is damage. He didn't have any tools to do this, guess all he did was normal tows.
Ended up still having to use our Subaru to push it into the back. Luckily the bumpers lined up.
The tow guy got it up in front of the gate, but it was so bad I told him that I'd finish it from there.
Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply