Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rad Recore and Overflow Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rad Recore and Overflow Tank
    Posted: 29-September-2016 at 3:19PM
I am thinking about getting my Rad redone this winter.  I stopped by a rad shop today, and the guy was impressed to see an original Ford rad still in service.  He also said he remembers these cars when they were new, and even rhymed off the part number for the rad (been in the business for 40 years)!  He told me he can re-core the rad and keep the factory tanks.  My rad is a 28" wide rad, only 2 core right now.  I am planning on building my engine including bumping the compression, so the real reason I am doing this now is for the new engine build (it cools fine as is).  I was thinking of going to 3-core, high efficiency?  The rad shop said he can do a 4-core high efficiency too, but I was thinking that might be overkill.  Any advice on the rad size?  I don't have A/C, I am not in an overly hot climate, but I want to be able to idle all day in traffic without issue.  Before anyone posts it, I am not interested in going to an aftermarket aluminium rad.  I know they are better, but I want to keep my car appearing stock under the hood.

Also, right now I have a cheesy parts store overflow container.  I have looked at a few aftermarket stainless tube style units, but can't find one that will fit well under the hood.  Anyone have any ideas for a clean overflow tank?  I wouldn't mind a hidden unit either.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 29-September-2016 at 3:20PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 12:27AM
Vince,
 Your idea to stay with the stock look and "build" style of radiator has it's plusses and minuses as far as cooling efficiency goes, but a good choice IMO. I had a stock 3 core on my 460(when it was totally stock) and it cooled fine even with A/C in central Fl. The newer high efficiency core tubing is great in theory but the tubes cross section being so thin(roughly 1/16-1/8" tall internally and 5/8-3/4 wide allowing higher tubing count which aids in the higher efficiency #'s) can cause internal blockage(it happened to me) where the older designed core used taller core tubing(more volume of water/coolant per tube) and most small debris will flow through. With a good clutch fan/fan clutch combo and a good 3 core radiator, you should have a very dependable "engine forward" cooling system.
   Not sure about the overflow tank, but there is quite a bit of unused area(at least on my '79) under the DS fender just forward of the inner fender which should allow a "hidden" tank to be mounted on the flat area of the inner fender and/or the core support. Good luck with your choices.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 1:33AM
When I rebuilt my engine I sent my 3 core original radiator out to get boiled out. Even in 90 degree weather I stay at 185 degrees. Factory water pump and a little more aggressive fan. Filled radiator to cold fill level,never installed a over flow tank and never saw a drop of antifreeze anywhere. Good luck -Rick-

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 30-September-2016 at 1:41AM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 1:25PM
I have a 3 core factory radiator that I am no longer using. No issues and cooled fine so you should not need a 4 core. As far as an overflow tank, I sourced a later Ford dual tank (wiper fluid and tank overflow) and it worked incredibly well. Even has the Ford logo. Only a few have ever noticed the modification and it makes for a neater setup. Looks factory. Have done that on 3 of mine.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 2:17PM
Thanks guys for all the info.  The rad shop owner told me that the "high efficiency" means that the tube spacing is closer, but the tubes are the same size.  He also said there are more fins per inch, which shouldn't be hard to beat on the stock rad (which has big fins spacing).  He also told me that a 3-core high efficiency cools as well as a 4-core standard.  So I think I should be good with this setup.

Joe, do you have any idea what that setup is from?  That sounds like a good option.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 2:22PM
I may have a picture here somewhere. Let me look. Ford used a similar setup across the board for quite a few years, differences being size. I didn't want a huge unit sticking out like a sore thumb, but something smaller that blended in and just looked right.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2016 at 2:40PM
Vince, here are a couple of pictures of the overflow/washer combo on the left side. Not good pictures, but I'll make better tomorrow. At least you can see that it blends right in and is hardly noticeable. I feel it was a good upgrade that looks tidy and works well.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2016 at 6:53AM
Thanks Joe! I have seen those ones around before. Are they from a Crown Vic?  Seems my old '80's one had a overflow/washer bottle setup like that, but it's been a long time since I had that car.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2016 at 10:09AM
If you want an OE look and are not concerned about it not having a Ford part number stamped on it, Spectra makes a 3 core replacement radiator for our cars and it's waaaay cheaper than recoring the original. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
 Post Reply Post Reply