The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Brake Booster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Brake Booster
    Posted: 01-October-2016 at 11:47AM
I've noticed new or remanufactured vacuum boosters are disappearing from inventories as was wondering if anyone had switched over to a different booster and/or master cylinder set up. I'm not looking to go hydro boost just looking to replace with vacuum assist.
On parts guy suggested a set up for the 72 Galaxie/Monterey. According to him it's the same 11" single diaphragm style but I know it can't be that easy.

Anyone got anything on this?    
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2016 at 5:28PM
This looks like it's going to be painful..................

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2016 at 12:57AM
Chuck,
 I used a '93 or '94 Astro van hydro boost unit on my '79 Ranchero, these units are EASILY adapted to other vehicles due to their mounting bracket attachment design to the actual HB unit. These are not a bolt-up and go install, but neither is the Mark/Lincoln units. I bought a JY Astro HB unit from a U-pull-it yard for $25 and rebuilt the unit myself with this kit(it was $35 at the time):
 I also installed an '80 Corvette disc/disc MC due to booster pushrod length, MC design and fender side ports(more room for headers).
 Here is a pic during the "mock-up" process.

Here is the finished HB install pic.

Disassembly the HB unit for rebuild/resealing.

***WARNING*** Once you go with hydro boost you will want to kick yourself in the @ss for not doing it MUCH sooner. Hope this info is helpful. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 03-October-2016 at 12:59AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2016 at 1:08PM
I'm running single groove pulley's because the car doesn't have power steering. I was hoping someone had maybe adapted a different booster.
I noticed when I looked up one for a 72 Lincoln it also crossed over to the 73-74 Ranchero but as luck would have it, it's not available either.

Edited by lynchster - 03-October-2016 at 1:09PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2016 at 2:47PM
Yeah you definitely need a PS pump, preferably a Saginaw, for a HB install. I believe a vacuum booster from a '72-'79 intermediate "should" work, I removed my 11" vacuum booster for the HB install, utilizes the same "screwy" firewall bolt pattern as earlier Torino's/Cougar's. The 11" booster sits flatter against the firewall than the smaller diameter boosters.  

Anton Olafsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anton Olafsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2016 at 9:46AM
I Installed a chrome Unit made for 71-73 mustang. It was not a direct fit. I made a adapterplate.

Regards from ICELAND
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2016 at 4:38PM
Does anyone have both a 72 and a 73/4 11" booster for comparison purposes?  It would appear the 1972 booster and master cylinder are one year pieces.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2016 at 5:29PM
i have a basic pic of mine before it put it back on the car if that will help? joe should have several of each sitting around!
 there are companies that will rebuild/exchange boosters... i thought someone posted a company on here somewhere??? that does that. i ran across a company that rebuild boosters just the other night while looking through an older hemmings
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2016 at 5:56PM
other than fitment and engine bay space, does the actual size of the booster have any effect on its braking or any other performance ability?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2016 at 12:17AM
On a single and/or dual diaphragm vacuum booster, the larger the diameter of the diaphragm the more braking assist it would have/give. The dual diaphragm booster will usually have a smaller diameter but will protrude further off the vehicle's firewall and will also have quite a bit more braking assist than a single diaphragm booster of similar diameter.

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2016 at 9:51AM
The only thing I can figure is there has to be some difference in rod lengths. The 75/76 seem to have their own booster as well. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 5:36PM
I might be able to use the booster I have but that's not a guarantee at this point. I'd blocked off the opening where master cylinder fits and it appears I can create a vacuum I just don't know if it will leak. Confused
I have learned a bit in research. The 72 uses it own booster the, 73/74 uses their own booster, and so do the 75/76.

They all use a "tear drop" rear rod to attach to the pedal.

The boosters for the 72 and 73/74 are apparently "obsolete"

It appears the 75/76 are still available.  
Does anyone have a 75/76 booster laying around? I'm interested in the rear rod length and the bolt pattern measurements.

The master cylinder is a whole new complication but not a major one. When I bought the stainless steel kit they told me they only had a pattern for a 73. I said send it, "they are the same car". Almost.

I have to see what fitting the kit came with for the master cylinder. Apparently the 72 uses a 1/2" and a 7/16" fitting. The 73 uses a 1/2" and a 9/16" This is just internet info so I have to confirm it but I thought I'd put the info out there for everyone else. It would be nice to put together a dat base of this info like they have for the Mustangs.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 1:49PM
i would like to know what the difference is between the 74 through 76 torinos are...specially considering that theyre basically all the same style of car...
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 2:20PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 2:24PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 3:45PM
I agree with Johnny, you're best bet may be to send it off to have it rebuilt.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 2:10AM
Thanks for the help guys
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2022 at 1:59PM
Didn't realize I've already posed this question. Refinished mine after soaking in evaporust but it appears to be over boosting. The brakes grab low and hard. They actually feel better drained of vacuum without the car running.  
Here we go again. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply