The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need electrical help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 6:27AM
mike, does the solenoid have one or two small wires to activate it? the one marked "S" would be the one to trace down. try jumping from that small terminal to the battery...if it works then the issue is in that wire somewhere! if it doesn't...then the issue is between the solenoid and the battery Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Hoosiermike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 6:45AM
Just 1 small wire on top of solenoid.
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 9:20AM
OK Johnny,  i just got back under the hood.   3 wire solenoid.  2 large 1/2" bolts across contact and a single coil wire going to a terminal marked S.  I unplugged coil wire, ignition off.  I then took my jumper cables and went straight from the positive post of the battery to the "s" coil post.  The coil clicked but motor did not turn over.  I then moved solenoid end of jumper cable to the starter side of contact and motor rolls as it should.  So are you saying the problem is between the battery and solenoid?  the only thing between battery and solenoid is a short cable maybe 18" long with an eye bolted to solenoid and a battery post clamp on the other.  I know that is logical because i know the coil is good.  But i just can get my mind around a short piece of stranded copper wire suddenly just going bad.  And yes.  post connection is clean.  :)

Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 9:40AM
they do
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 9:48AM
Could the solenoid be mounted "bass-ackwards", it should be wired/installed like this(I realize this is a four terminal solenoid). Just a thought since, if you run a wire directly between the battery and the "S" terminal the started should engage and rotate engine, as you described above this isn't the case. Just trying to help and/or figure this out.
Ford Starter Solenoid Wiring Diagram

Edited by aquartlow - 29-October-2016 at 9:50AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 10:21AM
mike, yes jumping from the "S"term to the battery should make it work (most people jump from the battery side big terminal at the solenoid to the "s" terminal right on the solenoid, but that's why i suggested going right to the positive of the battery...to see if there was an issue between the battery and the solenoid.
 i've heard of people reversing the big terminals on the solenoid! in theory the "s" terminal engages the two large terminals i wouldn't like it would matter but it just might!!! it should be just like the pic todd posted above! sometimes people mount the solenoid upside down, which could cause confusion on how the big terminals are connected! generally the square metal cover part of the solenoid is facing downwards towards the frame, the front facing term. is to the pos. battery, the rear term. is to the starter. it can be mounted upside down just as long as the wiring is correct!!!!

one other stupid thing to check: make sure the ground contact between the solenoid to the fender well is clean and tight, and that the metal fender well is grounded! (sounds dumb but that the only things i can think of!!!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 1:48PM
does the short cable have a stamped metal jug terminal on the solenoid end?

if it does, tear it apart & have a look at what's inside
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 1:51PM
alright, wtf's goin on around here?

i just posed after Hoosiermike's last post above, and it's not 7:48 AM it's 8:50 PM

==========================

edit: and it just jumped Hoosier's post again Wacko

Edited by Rockatansky - 29-October-2016 at 1:52PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 1:54PM
Yep. Pic is correct. The jumper to s engages coil , just no power flow through coil. I will replace cable from battery   If my current thinking is right, that is the culprit.
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 4:43PM
Originally posted by Hoosiermike Hoosiermike wrote:

Yep. Pic is correct. The jumper to s engages coil , just no power flow through coil. I will replace cable from battery   If my current thinking is right, that is the culprit.
i'm thinking it has to be! since you tried the solenoid on your other car and it worked fine?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 5:45AM
Johnny nailed it.  Im not sure why or how. But  the cable from positive post of battery to fender mount coil is bad.  Replaced that and she fires right up.  I have not cut into the cable yet but there are no signs of a short or damage.  I just do not get it.  Oh well.. live and learn.  I know know alot more about the starting circuit of an old ford  Big smileBig smile
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 4:18AM
are you sure the cable from the solenoid to the starter isn't about the same?

good times, glad you found something that made an improvement
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 7:59AM
actually, the cable between solenoid and starter was one of the first thing i replaced.  The insulation on that cable was badly cracked and i thought it might be arcing to ground when cranking.  Now on to the other little things to make her perfect.  :)

Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 12:55PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 6:29PM
Good to know. Like I keep telling guys. Our cars have wiring 40-45 years old now. You would be amazed to see what oxidation and corrosion can do to some of the cables.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Uncle Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 11:32AM
I know this will sound elementary. But every time I have a problem like that it's usually somthing to do with the terminals. Even when I think it isn't. It usually turns out to be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2016 at 11:17AM
I agree Unc.  But in this case it was a brand new battery and one of the first things i did was replace both cable clamps because they were beat up some and the bolt had pulled the soft metal enough it was hard to get em tight.  So those connections were as clean as a babys butt.  :)
It really was just the cable between the battery and solenoid.  45yr old wiring.  lol
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
Uncle Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2016 at 2:19PM
Glad you found it. Sometimes little things are hard to get. I spent a couple hours trying to get a new heater core hose to quit leaking. I tried 3 or 4 new clamps. Could not get it. Finally I put the old rusty clamp back on and boom it's fixed. Don't know why. Only thing I can figure is it liked that one lol. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12