The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Steering Hoses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Steering Hoses
    Posted: 15-October-2016 at 12:25AM
Does anybody have a good part number for the hoses for my particular set-up? Rock Auto has a huge selection of different sizes, and not sure what sizes I need. Need both the pressure hose and return line. I have the Ford steering box and also the Ford canister-style pump reservoir. I have the old hoses, but no idea what the fitting sizes are.

Sadly, I never learned to look at an item and say "Oh, that's a 5/16 inverted flare, etc."

Thanks for any direction

Matt
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 12:34AM
the pressure hose is inverted flare male on the box end 3/8" i think and female inverted flare (nut) on the pump end. the return line has a smaller thread on the box and a hose clamp on the pump end. just FYI
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 6:37PM
Rockauto look for GATES brand hoses. DO NOT buy edelman. The gates are the only ones that mirror the originals and match for fitment. 
Which year/model are you working on?

A couple pictures of my fun, for reference:
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 9:30PM
I did buy the Gates, old pressure side came off and new one went on like a champ. The other side....well, I can't break the old one off. Coming close to stripping it trying to get it off the steering box, so I gave up on it and went on to another project on the same engine.

With so little room to play with, the only thing I can think of to do is cut off the hose with a small hacksaw near the nut, and wiggle a socket on it. If I do go ahead and strip it with the socket though, I'm in deep doo doo. Need to do something soon, as I'm done with the pump side.

Matt
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 3:40AM
Yes, it's a headache, but that's why you always use line / flare wrenches on stuff like this.
Worse case you can resort to cutting that line off but I would consider using side cutters, cut the metal line as close as possible vs cutting and getting metal filings everywhere in the box {possibly, not a deffinate but still}.
Then use a socket and back out. I would spray the threads with liquid wrench or similar penetrating oil for a week before hand, even if it's a tapered thread.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
HiTorino73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTorino73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2017 at 9:49PM
I picked up my 73 GTS lines from Autozone since getting anything in Hawaii is a pain. Part numbers below.

Duralast/Power Steering Return Hose
Part Number: 80031
Alternate Part Number:70713

Duralast/Power Steering Pressure Line Hose
Part Number: 70674
Alternate Part Number:14067

Also to get my original hoses off I had to use claw feet wrenches. Made it a easy job.

Good luck.
Every day is a good day, some are just better than others

1973 Gran Torino Sport
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2017 at 11:48PM
Yeah those claw feet wrenches are what I eventually used (I never even knew they existed before now!) and they did make short work of that stubborn fitting. Putting the new hoses on was a snap with those, too. A useful tool to add to the armada in my toolbox!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
 Post Reply Post Reply