The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

axle shuddering?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: axle shuddering?
    Posted: 03-November-2016 at 2:23AM
Ok, here's a bit of an odd one.

Whenever I put inward pressure on the drivers side rear wheel, I get a shuddering in the back end of the car. I can make the shudder happen by:
 - backing out my my driveway on to the road (which slopes down on the drivers side of the car)
 - going around a right hand turn (slower speeds make the shudder more obvious)
 - pretty much anything that would make the back end of the car want to push more towards the drivers side

The shuddering feels like a standard does with a clutch that isn't fully engaged, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the car, and I have a C6 transmission. 

Pretty sure this has to be related to driver's side brakes/axle or differential, unless someone has better ideas?

Thoughts or recommendations welcome!
72 Montego MX Wagon
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2016 at 4:45AM
Posi rearends will do that turning at low speeds if they don't have that friction modifier added!
But it sounds like maybe something else going on??? I'd check your bearings and things back there! Shouldn't be any up and down movement. And check that no brake parts fell out or something.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2016 at 9:00AM
Pretty sure that my wagon isn't posi, or the 90-year-old who had it would have ordered it with a 429 too. Wishful thinking.

Can you tell from the VIN / door tag?
72 Montego MX Wagon
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2016 at 10:32AM
Check lug nuts. My daughters jeep did about the same one tire had loose nuts
73MONTEGO
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2016 at 12:38PM
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

Pretty sure that my wagon isn't posi, or the 90-year-old who had it would have ordered it with a 429 too. Wishful thinking.

Can you tell from the VIN / door tag?

If it has a limited slip diff, it will or rather should have a letter where the axle code is located on the door jamb tag. It could be an issue with the side gear and/or side gear-spider gear mesh, check your oil for metal or burnt smell(it usually stinks anyway). If I was a betting man, I would say it needs more friction modifier additive(if in deed it is a trac-lok LS diff), my 4 pinion Trac-lok needs almost 2 of these before it quiets down on turns.

G2516577
Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by aquartlow - 03-November-2016 at 12:39PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2016 at 10:43PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

.... If I was a betting man, I would say it needs more friction modifier additive (if in deed it is a trac-lok LS diff), my 4 pinion Trac-lok needs almost 2 of these before it quiets down on turns.
G2516577
Good luck and keep us posted.

Todd,

I be adding the lube to my Trac-Loc differential in the next couple weeks and I have a tube of the TransX posi additive to mix in with the gear oil, so should I just mix in about half a tube first and see how it does or should I go ahead and just use it all? It's a new rebuild using Yukon gears, so I'll be changing out the fluid after about 1,000 miles....

THANKS

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-November-2016 at 10:44PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 9:49AM
  I believe I would use the whole tube on a 9", it's only 7 oz or so. It won't hurt anything to use a little bit extra, just don't want to overdo it, of course the Trac-lok WILL tell you when there isn't enough Wink. I am actually using a 9 3/8" differential which uses larger diameter "frictions and steels" within the Trac-lok diff as compared to a 9", probably the reason for the "extra" needed amount of modifier. You are going to have 1 mighty fine ride when you are all done(is that possible-being totally done), I'd almost be too afraid to drive it, with all the idiots out there these days that don't respect anyone else's ride.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 10:38AM
" You are going to have 1 mighty fine ride when you are all done(is that possible-being totally done), I'd almost be too afraid to drive it, with all the idiots out there these days that don't respect anyone else's ride"

X2!!! i think about that stuff all the time, and see it every day out here on the road!!!!Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 11:44AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

" You are going to have 1 mighty fine ride when you are all done(is that possible-being totally done), I'd almost be too afraid to drive it, with all the idiots out there these days that don't respect anyone else's ride"

X2!!! i think about that stuff all the time, and see it every day out here on the road!!!!Angry

John,
 With you being a professional OTR driver, I bet you have seen some really serious or really funny sh*t on the highway at times (occasionally it could be called seriously funny sh*t Big smile).  

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 2:05PM
That is why I like my rough ones - keeps people at arm's length.

"I say Daphne, did you see the hooligan in that decrepit old car? We must keep clear, lest his grime soil our BMW. Perhaps we should buy him something to eat and just toss it at him?"

You laugh, but...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 3:14PM
You do look pretty greasy.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 3:39PM
todd, more like seriously stupid sh*t! total lack of courtesy and respect, disregard for safety or basic rules of the road! it used to be fun driving but not anymoreConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 4:07AM

G2516577
I've also found that a single tube of Trans-X posi juice was not enough & had to add more,
but FWIW i don't mind the clutches letting me know they're still there.
i like to know the thing's working Clap

===================

to the OP, jack it up & see if both tires rotate the same direction, but try to turn the first tire that comes up off the ground first. with the trans in Neutral if the 1 tire off the ground spins you have an open unit, if the tire is engaged to the opposite side tire you have a Trac-Loc, some other kind of LSD unit or a problem that you need to find

pull the brake drums off & check to see that the linings are all in 1 piece as intended & haven't cracked / broken off & are causing issues. brake springs also rot & fail allowing the brake shoes to fall out of position & contact the brake drum 

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-November-2016 at 4:14AM
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 9:18AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

That is why I like my rough ones - keeps people at arm's length.

"I say Daphne, did you see the hooligan in that decrepit old car? We must keep clear, lest his grime soil our BMW. Perhaps we should buy him something to eat and just toss it at him?"

You laugh, but...

Now Joe, that Cougar you drove to Dawsonville last year was definitely NOT a rough one(at least in my book), was that the reason you got rid of it, wasn't rough enough Big smile
  To me a rough one has at least 4 different colored panels on it(or 4 colors on one panel in an attempt to paint match the original yet faded factory paint), 4 different brands of tires(not one is a very good tire, but their all "maypops") , wheels/hub caps don't match, misses on at least one cylinder and it smokes so bad the owner gets a monthly check in the mail from their local government office for pest control services.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2016 at 7:32PM
Stop. Put the car up in the air, pull the tires, and pull the axles.
I'm betting a wheel bearing is going if a '72.

Ask me how I know.

Another thing: reuse the factory lock rings. Aftermarket new rings are for the 8.8 on a 1972 9" small axle bearing.

It's not a matter of if, but WHEN the axle will walk if you use the 8.8 lock ring.

Rent or borrow an axle adapter and use a slide hammer to pop the axles from the housing.

On a saturday if you have a machine shop open you can get this job done in a few hours. I suggest using Timken bearings. They seem to be one of the only good bearings left out there NOT china made. I still have the box on my desk, RW207CCRA is the part number. Made in Japan.

Get a couple quarts of gear oil and the seals:

And a pump from Autozone:

Makes life easier:

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 12:23AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Stop. Put the car up in the air, pull the tires, and pull the axles.
I'm betting a wheel bearing is going if a '72.

Ask me how I know.

OUCH! Bet that made a horrifying noise/rumble, lucky you caught it before it got any worse(like axle end breaking off and passing you on the highway). Great advice on checking the wheel bearings and the differences in lock ring size!

Edited by aquartlow - 07-December-2016 at 12:25AM

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 2:26AM
My brown wagon started doing that right before I parked it. In fact, I backed slowly down my driveway, opened my door and watched the wheel/tire as I felt it shudder/pop. I could see the tire physically jolt every time it shuddered. Kind of like it would roll/stop/pop/roll/stop/pop/roll.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 3:31AM
IN my case my driver's side bearing failed and I was getting a horrific vibration at high speed first than any speed. Biggest clue red flag was gear oil leaking from the axle onto the inside of the wheel and on my tire.

My car had the original Ford wheel bearings. Not bad for 130,000+ miles and something manufactured in 1972.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 9:02AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Kind of like it would roll/stop/pop/roll/stop/pop/roll.

Hey that's kind of catchy. Do you think it might become part of normal conversation like "stop drop and roll" or "stranger danger!" ?
 Post Reply Post Reply