The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transports
    Posted: 09-November-2016 at 5:04PM
Hi, I'm new here. My son has a 1976 Gran Torino. He left the Army in August driving home to Idaho. His car broke down in a pretty small town over 160 miles from Albuequerque. The car is in storage. I'm looking for a car transport and I've never done anything like this. Any suggestions or tips on transport companies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:32AM
Our cars fit on the U-Haul trailers.

I went online to reserve a moving truck and trailer and it actually let me do it! lol

BUT, I have had issues trying to rent them before so I just tell them I am hauling a mid 80s Mustang.
If you say ANYTHING that is Front Wheel Drive they push you to the dolly.

USHIP is the best place to get a shipping quote but they will charge extra for a non running driving car.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 4:17PM
Keep in mind Uhaul will bush balls if you attempt to say you are trying to pull a torino with one of their trailers.
I've had them tell me I should be pulling their car trailer with an F250...and I have a '95 extended cab F150 xlt 4x4 with the offroad package.

Trying to get a car shipped I would expect for an in-op, if it can't run or move under it's own power it'll probably cost you $1200-$1700.
Pure guess but in-op cars will cost more.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2016 at 10:04AM
Any inop vehicle will definitely make it tougher.  Tougher to transport, and tougher to find someone willing to transport.

I've transported two driving vehicles from opposite sides of the country to Georgia.  One from San Fransisco, the other from Seattle.  Both times, I used Mercury Transport, a broker.  And both times, it cost a little over $1000.  They were transported on an open truck.  Both experiences went well, with no issues.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2016 at 11:25AM
I had issues with them over my 250 superduty power stroke with factory trailer tow pkg & brake controller, when I trailered the Ranchero. I told them I was going to pull a '65 Fairlane.  I think the gross weight rating of the hitch was the problem (5,000) their trls. are on the heavy side.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
 Post Reply Post Reply