The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

roof swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: roof swap
    Posted: 13-November-2016 at 9:34AM
has anyone tried swapping roofs from formal to a fastback
Hooter
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2016 at 5:41AM
Sounds like a lot of work.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2016 at 11:07AM
Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

Sounds like a lot of work.
 Thumbs Up

I had to put a new skin on my formal and there were I'd bet 300 spot welds holding that piece on... and I'm sure the inner structure would need to be changed to go from formal to sportsroof, which means the quarters would have to come off.

DEFINITELY A TON OF WORK Ouch

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 1:17AM
Besides the 1/4 panels and roof having to be removed (and swapped), you will need new door, rear and 1/4 side glass and the Formal cars had a structural brace in the trunk on either side that the Sportroofs did not. Also you would need the Sportroof window channel and roof trim. It is doable, but an immense amount of work.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 2:48AM
Confused Be better to just find a fastback .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 6:02AM
Quote It is doable, but an immense amount of work.

embrace the Formal roof, sometimes i think they look tougher than the Sportsroof anyways Thumbs Up

the Formal roof can look Lean & Mean where the Fastback can look like it's got too much junk in the trunk if you know what i mean?

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-November-2016 at 12:05PM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 11:12AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Quote It is doable, but an immense amount of work.

embrace the Formal roof, sometimes i think they look tougher than the Sportsroof anyways Thumbs Up

the Formal roof can look Lean & mean where the Fastback can look like it's got too much junk in the trunk if you know what i mean?
i agree
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 10:01AM
Fastbacks look wrong jacked up in the back.
Go Formal!!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 10:16AM
Would you people stop badmouthing my car? Angry

Just kidding LOL
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
My website: www.chrisherbphoto.com
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 5:28AM
NOT worth the time and effort.
If a Sport Roof is what you want, there are PLENTY out there to buy.

I have done roof replacements and let me tell you, IT IS NOT FUN!!

As said in other posts... you will need so many parts from a sport roof and so much work that you will need a GOOD sport roof as a donor. At that point... just build the sport roof.

IF you say you are doing it because of the lack of funds or you have both cars already... DON'T.
Truth is you are fooling yourself, you will spend FAR MORE MONEY doing the swap than just buying and building a Sport. If you are doing it to save money, NOPE! You will spend FAR more and be YEARS to complete IF you even got it done.
EVERYTHING from the scallop line on the quarters UP is different. Different trunk angle, different upper quarters all the back to the end of the car, different support structures over the wheel wells, different rear package tray, different windows (ALL OF THEM), different interior panels, different trim etc...
Basically you would have to cut a formal just past the A-Pillar and at the scallop body line starting at the door jamb back to the rear filler panel behind the bumper and do the same on the sport then swap... the work... FUTILE.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:45AM
yeah wow, i forgot about the glass too, and the unobtainium seals between the windows and the corner on the 1/4 panel
haha i might even have those in a box somewhere Ermm

Edited by Rockatansky - 24-November-2016 at 6:46AM
72 GT Ute

Hooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 12:46PM
I se and understand all of your suggestions the formal roof is a donor because have no title and sportroof needs new floors from firewall back looked easier to cut and swap roof haha.after weeks of looking easier jus to swap floor thanks for help
Hooter
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 7:04PM
Originally posted by Hooter Hooter wrote:

I se and understand all of your suggestions the formal roof is a donor because have no title and sportroof needs new floors from firewall back looked easier to cut and swap roof haha.after weeks of looking easier jus to swap floor thanks for help

So, you have the title for the Sport Roof?
if that is the case and the formal has good floors HELL YEAH swap the floors is WAY easier!
A whole lot more forgiving and less need to be PERFECT.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply