The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ram air options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram air options
    Posted: 24-November-2016 at 8:56PM
I do have the GT hood with the scoop, so having a ram air setup with that would be good. But a factory style new or repro is out of my budget for now.
Home made like the EJ one mentioned in another thread would be nice, but I don't really have that kind of skills. About all I could do would be a flat sheet of metal with foam. I have thought about that and may try it just for fun. After seeing that other one, I would mount it to the bottom of the air filter housing like he did, it just wouldn't look so good.
This way would be my favorite just from a clutter point of view.

Another option is the Thunderbolt style, dual snorkel air cleaner with the ducts going to the inner headlights. I actually bought a second snorkel just to add to my air cleaner for this, but then remembered that my car is supposed to have A/C (compressor is off car right now until I get the rest of the A/C stuff ready to go). Doable, but I would like the snorkels to look symmetrical.  I am also not too sure about loosing the second pair of lights, although wiring it so that the outers work for both low and high beam isn't an issue.
If I went this way, is there somewhere else besides the headlight openings to draw the air from?

Thanks,
Russ
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 3:35AM
You can draw air from the inner fender area between the outer fender and inner fender.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:28AM
Guess that's true, I'll end up cutting somewhere regardless.
Thanks,
Russ
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:54AM
the dual snorkel 5.0 Mustangs draw from the sides, the fender cavities may even be a high pressure area due to all the air coming in from under the car trying to escape
72 GT Ute

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:58AM
plenty of room to draw fresh air through the core support coming from the grill opening.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply