The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gauge cluster problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gauge cluster problems
    Posted: 17-July-2008 at 1:45PM

Hey Guys, I'm having some problems with my Rally gauge cluster. At first only the speedometer was working. I removed the cluster and found that the wide connector wasn't connected. I plugged it in and now the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge are working. The clock isn't but I'm sure thats just from age. The amp gauge doesn't appear to be working or maybe the gas gauge. I have installed a new fuel sending unit but only put about 3-4 gallons of gas in so I'm not sure if that would register. The tach isn't working either but that may be because of the engine swap, I haven't chased the wire yet. I guess the real puzzling thing is none of the lights are working but all the bulbs appear to be good. Any suggestions?

Thanks,David
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
miketorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 3:49PM
try the headlight switch, do the lights come on outside?
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 3:56PM

All the exterior lights are working including the turn signals. I don't know if this helps but the car won't fire without the pin connector being hooked up on the cluster. I guess this is correct, right? Thanks,David

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 12:51PM
Check the fuse under the dash,theres one for instrument panel lights.
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 1:56PM
I checked it first thing and without removing it it looked intact. I'll replace it and see what happens.
Thanks,David
miketorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 3:20PM
I think there is something that was actually replaceable (a module) that could very well correct many of these issues.  And I think it is still available at NAPA or somewhere. 
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 2:29AM

mike, are you talking about the instrument cluster voltage regulator?   kinda snaps on like a 9v battery on the back of the cluster.  they used to be available from Ford still.. but thats been awahile, i'll see if i can get a part number.

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 7:00AM
    The CVR controls temp,fuel,oil pressure. Amp gauge is not affected by it at all, niether is the clock. Napa, Checker , Autozone should have them.  Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 3:04PM

Hey Guys, I haven't had time to remove the fuse but I did notice tonight that not only are the cluster lights not working but none of the dash lights are,radio,wiper etc. Are all of these controlled but that one small fuse? What's the best way to remove that fuse?

Thanks again guys,David
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 6:08PM
The small fuse is only for instrument panel lights.There's another one for radio,one for wipers,one for heater/blower.Just take a small mini screwdriver and pry up one one end of the fuse and that side will pop out.then just pull it out.When you install it,snap in one end first then push other end in as not to break the glass.
 Post Reply Post Reply