The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 73 sub frame the same as a 72 need a answer asap
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 sub frame the same as a 72 need a answer asap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabiantorinosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 sub frame the same as a 72 need a answer asap
    Posted: 24-January-2017 at 6:55AM
Hii guys I'm new to this ..hopefully I can used you guys advice I have a 73 gts and a 72 gt coupe but my gts got crash from the driver side so frame got damage I Wana know if there the same measurements on the frames and where the body bolts up i Wana know before I start parting them out n find out the hard way plz let me know thnk you guys...
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2017 at 7:04PM
You definitely should consider swaping the frame if the original is bent. Your decision will also have to do with many factors. Are you planning to keep forever ...then no problem as long as second frame has a title in your possession (for Johnny Law). If you are just flipping, better to get frame fixed and add the 72 front frame extensions. Keeping the matching number frame and body together is the most optimum way to do things...but a pretzel will always drive like a pretzel and is no fun and looks goofy crabbing down the freeway!

Edited by gentrysgarage - 26-January-2017 at 5:20AM
glennford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glennford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2017 at 5:04PM
I'm pretty certain the frames are the same except for the front bumper mounting horns 72 uses a flat faced 73 uses of bolt on safety bumper bracket as long as you go swap two door frames everything should line up
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 7:08AM
Yes the 72 frame uses a solid mount (different from 1973) front bumper mount flange, if you're replacing any of the front end sheetmetal this might create an opportunity to change the entire front end to a 1972 style?   

hood, outer fenders, bumpers & mounts, front header, light buckets grill/trim, valance & support

otherwise you'll need to either; figure a way to mount the 73 bumper to the 72 frame horns, swap the frame horns over or do something custom

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-January-2017 at 7:09AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply