The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under Dash Wiring Debauchary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under Dash Wiring Debauchary
    Posted: 30-March-2017 at 4:36PM
I thought while I had the column out I'd straighten out some wiring. I'm looking for two wires in particular. One for the Parking Brake and the other for the Left Front Courtesy Light.
I also tore out the heater controls, headlamp switch, and that 12" harness retainer to expose the harness. I thought for sure somewhere there would be two cut wires waiting for me to fix them. Nope.

I'm relatively certain the factory did not use a straight slotted screw. As you can see I have about 4" of wire but no idea where in the harness I should be looking for it.

This one has got me scratching my head too. This wire got bugged into the blue wire for door switch for some unknown reason. Works but I can't find where in the harness it was supposed to be attached.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2017 at 5:09PM
no on the slotted screw. but looking at that... i'm thinking that the black wire is your negative to the parking brake warning light, do you have that light in the corner of your cluster bezel?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 12:03AM
The black/blue stripe wire is "usually" used for the "door ajar" warning circuit and the circuit has a light in the upper RH corner of the gauge cluster panel, at least this where it is located on my panel. The wire runs inside the door to where the switch is located/attached to the door latch mechanism with a Philips screw, so it can be replaced without total latch replacement. Most times folks ask about the extra black/blue stripe wire with connector that resides/hangs below the fuse panel unconnected, this is for a 4 door intermediate. I will try to find a pic/image of the switch. Hope this helps.

EDIT: This is a pic I found, not the best example due to it being for a '79-'93 Mustang, but it is close to what is in a Ford intermediate.

Edited by aquartlow - 31-March-2017 at 12:31AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 11:42AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

no on the slotted screw. but looking at that... i'm thinking that the black wire is your negative to the parking brake warning light, do you have that light in the corner of your cluster bezel?

Yes that is for the parking brake and yes that is where my warning lamp is.
Right now I'm trying to determine where that wire was cut from. Last night I tore apart that side of the dash, light switch, heater controls, harness retainer but have struck out so far.
In the back of the gauge cluster there was an aftermarket socket with two pigtails soldered to it but it wasn't connected to anything either.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/621/parking_brake_lamp_-_2.jpg
I thought that would have just posted the picture instead of the a link to the file.

However the factory socket is still intact and attached to the harness.

Back to the parking brake: I'm wondering if that is an aftermarket switch. The wire is supposed to be light green / red stripe with what appears to be a rectangular connector.

Edited by lynchster - 31-March-2017 at 1:17PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 11:45AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

The black/blue stripe wire is "usually" used for the "door ajar" warning circuit and the circuit has a light in the upper RH corner of the gauge cluster panel, at least this where it is located on my panel. The wire runs inside the door to where the switch is located/attached to the door latch mechanism with a Philips screw, so it can be replaced without total latch replacement. Most times folks ask about the extra black/blue stripe wire with connector that resides/hangs below the fuse panel unconnected, this is for a 4 door intermediate.

That part of the wiring I'm ok with (so far) it's the black wire for the under dash courtesy lamp that got bugged into the harness I want to fix. I just have to figure out where it comes out of the harness.    
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 2:40PM
Chuck, I mistook the black/light blue stripe wire as the door ajar wire, looking at my electrical manual the door ajar wire looks to be black/orange hash(I had to find my electrical manual-memory served me no good).  Sorry for the above mis-information.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 2:42PM

Chuck, do you have a 1972 Wiring diagram?   If you need one, let me know and I can send you an electronic version.

I should have a chance to look at my car this weekend and see if I can help you out.  I have my dash all a part right no, so I might be able to get some pics of parts of the harness if you need any.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 6:33PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Chuck, do you have a 1972 Wiring diagram?   If you need one, let me know and I can send you an electronic version. I should have a chance to look at my car this weekend and see if I can help you out.  I have my dash all a part right no, so I might be able to get some pics of parts of the harness if you need any.

I did down load the wiring diagram. Reading it has lead me to believe the switch for the parking brake might not be the factory one.
If you could give me an idea of where the wire leads for the parking brake and the left courtesy light come out of the harness, that would be awesome.

Damn it hurts to type with a split finger!

Edited by lynchster - 31-March-2017 at 6:34PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 8:48AM
the more I look at this the more I think the dash might have to come out. I can trace the black and blue wire from the headlight switch but the one disappears into the harness. the light green and red wire for the parking brake goes from the socket and disappears into the harness but I don't see a lead coming out of
the harness. Boooo

Edited by lynchster - 01-April-2017 at 9:58AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 10:03AM
Now that I'm looking at it the socket I thought was for the parking brake lamp cant be right. It's on the same branch as the main cluster plug making it too short to reach. I don't even see what it would be used for.
Now I'm wondering if it's a separate harness (?).

Edited by lynchster - 01-April-2017 at 10:05AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 10:16AM
4.5" Diagonal Cutter Round Jaw Micro Beading Pliers Wire Nipper Leaf Spring LF06
sorry this "april fools" crap today is getting to meEmbarrassed

Edited by californiajohnny - 01-April-2017 at 10:18AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 10:24AM
Chuck,
 I have a '79 electrical diagram manual, I know not the same year or options but it should give "some" help. My manual shows two leads coming directly from headlight switch that split and/or are spliced to add leads to these two. On the #1 lead the wire runs to the RH and LH instrument panel courtesy lights after it is spliced into upstream with connector C513 that provides (or would provide) courtesy lighting/dome light for a 4 door application, the C513 connector is a 6 terminal GRAY connector located at LH front floor, forward of driver's seat. Downstream from the splice on this same #1 wire is a connector C1407 located behind the instrument panel near the clock, the connector is GRAY in color and rectangular in shape with 3 small tabs(to keep male/female plugs orientated correctly) on one side it shows it to have 2 wires and on the side that feeds the instrument panel lights is only one wire. Now the #2 wire that comes out of the headlight switch AND the 3# wire that comes out of the C1407 connector....you still with me. Hell I am confused and I am looking right at the manual Embarrassed.

#2 goes to the LH door courtesy switch after connector #C1505 located in the LH lower A pillar, the C1505 connector is round in shape with 3 terminals/wires(Black/Light Blue stripe, Light Green/Yellow stripe and RED/PINK dot), no color given but I know mine are GRAY. The #3 wire goes to the RH door courtesy switch after connector #C1501 located in the RH lower A pillar, this connector is also round in shape but with 2 terminals but I believe it also has 3 wires(Black/Light Blue stripe, Light Green/Yellow stripe and Pink/White stripe) with no connector color given. If this manual was smaller I would scan this and send it to you. Hope this helps. Todd

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 10:29AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Now that I'm looking at it the socket I thought was for the parking brake lamp cant be right. It's on the same branch as the main cluster plug making it too short to reach. I don't even see what it would be used for.
Now I'm wondering if it's a separate harness (?).

Could it be for aftermarket alarm or a simple alarm that uses a negative trigger(when the E=brake handle releases the mechanism, it provides a ground trigger/signal due to the "socket's" design) the negative signal could then be wired to a Bosch style relay then to the horn. Just a "far fetched" thought since it is in deed an add-on.  

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 1:13PM
That black wire and switch are not factory on your parking brake.  Here is the factory setup.  It is mounted at the back of the pedal and its similar switch to what Todd posted:

Here is the wiring for the light behind the dash.  You can see that same gray wire with red dots going to the bulb.  From the wiring diagram it appears the switch at the pedal is the ground.  The other wire (white and purple I think) is the positive side to the socket.  Also note mine has a tag on it that say's "parking brake light".

I don't have my kick panels off but I did pull up the wiring diagram.  It appears that that black wire might have been added.  Doesn't seem to show it on the wiring diagram.  Even if it was for a four door car, the wire that leads to the back switch is BK-LB and LG-Y.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 4:29PM

That black wire and switch are not factory on your parking brake. Here is the factory setup. It is mounted at the back of the pedal and its similar switch to what Todd posted.

Here is the wiring for the light behind the dash. You can see that same gray (light green?) wire with red dots going to the bulb. From the wiring diagram it appears the switch at the pedal is the ground. The other wire (white and purple I think) is the positive side to the socket. Also note mine has a tag on it that say's "parking brake light".

Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for the photos Vince
Any chance you can tell me where that wire for the switch enters the harness? If so, the colors of any wires that enter at the same place? Due to the position of this aftermarket switch I was looking for a lead coming from the dash. I'll start checking at the floor/firewall.

That light socket looks like a problem because I'm not seeing it anywhere. I haven't even found a white/purple wire to trace. Do they trace back to the main trunk by themselves or do they pair with other wires as well?

Edited by lynchster - 01-April-2017 at 4:35PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 5:19PM
Since the courtesy lamp wiring is black with a light blue stripe I started where I could find the wire. I traced two from the headlamp switch. One all the way to the door switch and the second back to where it entered the main harness under the headlamp switch / heater control area.

I have no idea where the black / light blues stripe wire exits the harness and goes to the lamp(s) itself on either side of the dash. Both lights were half assed into the switch wiring. The wire you say appears to have been added has in fact been added. They spliced off of the wiring for the door switches on both sides.

Edited by lynchster - 01-April-2017 at 5:36PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 5:26PM
This unused light socket has me puzzled. I originally thought it might be for the parking brake lamp but the lead isn't long enough to get there, not to mention the wires are wrong according to Vince's car.

As you can see it's attached to the same branch of the wiring harness as the main plug for gauge cluster. If I install the plug for the gauges I can't find anywhere that socket would go so I don't know if it's for an option this car doesn't have.

Edited by lynchster - 01-April-2017 at 5:27PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 9:32AM
still hunting the gray wire with red dots
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 3:16PM

Chuck, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I was travelling today, will be gone for the week for work.  I did have a chance to look at my car before I left.  That wire might not be gray, it might be a very light green with red dots.  It goes from the switch at the parking brake pedal up to what appears to be the largest wire bundle by the fuse box.  From the top side of the dash, it look like it comes out somewhere near the steering column near the dash face. 

I have that other socket too with the light green/red stripe (other wire is black).  It's always been empty and I believe isn't used.  I can't find it on the wiring diagram either.

Hope this helps.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 5:21PM
I'm not having any luck finding the socket for the dash lamp or the plug for the switch. Apparently neither could one of the previous owners. I do appreciate your helping me out.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:43AM
That's weird that it is missing.  I would think all Torinos should have had this switch and wiring.  Maybe it was removed/broke and was replaced with that aftermarket setup.

If you do want to add it back in, it shouldn't be much work.  You'd just need a 12 volts switched power supply to a light socket, then the ground from the socket to lead to the parking brake switch to ground.  I am not sure how hard that switch would be to find, but maybe one of the guys on here would have one from a parts car.  You might even be able to get the wiring too if you really want it to match the factory setup.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 4:10PM

That's weird that it is missing. I would think all Torinos should have had this switch and wiring. Maybe it was removed/broke and was replaced with that aftermarket setup

That's why I was hoping to determine if it was a separate harness or wired into the main harness. Even cutting my harness open I couldn't seem to find the correct wires.

Edited by lynchster - 03-April-2017 at 4:10PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 12:39PM
I double checked the wiring diagram.  It looks like the white/purple wire is also used for the seat belt warning system as well.  It looks like there is a connector, then a splice.  The white purple wire divides three ways, one to the seatbelt warning switch, one to the seatbelt warning light and one to the parking brake warning light.  So you might have some luck now, since we know where the wire originates. And it definitely is not part of the dash harness.  If not, at least it'd be easy enough to add another wire off this circuit to add in the parking light,

I also checked the circuit legend on the diagram and it shows the wire that leads from the parking brake warning light to the foot pedal switch is supposed to be light green with red dot.  So, I guess that wire in my car is light green not gray.  It's must have faded a bit with time and I had poor lighting when I checked out those wires for you.

Hope this helps.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Mikes72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikes72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 10:05AM
Hi Chuck, I am new to this forum. I saw your post from April of 2017 re: the lighting connector that was not appeared to be used.... Last fall I had my instrumentation cluster out of my 72. (I then broke my arm...) pretty much healed up now, and I had the same questions that you had. Of course its been 5 months of recovery so I cannot recall for sure. Did you ever verify for sure this lighting connector wasn't used? (It does appear that way....)

Anyway, Thank you in advance!

Mike

Mikes72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikes72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 10:06AM
Great info and discussions... Thanks too all. It has helped me out!

Post Reply Post Reply