The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare tire lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare tire lock
    Posted: 31-March-2017 at 12:14PM
OK guys, need some help... I have a NOS spare tire lock for the Tomato and I have a couple questions...

1. I'm not sure if it's working correctly. It spins down on the threaded spare tire retainer easily but doesn't seem to lock onto the shaft. Did they take a special rod or something? It should be dummy proof but evidently I have an advanced case STUPID!! Confused

2. I need to get it rekeyed (if possible). took it to my local locksmith and they had no clue if or how to get the cylinder out to change the pins.... Any locksmiths on the forum??

I had my ignition switch rekeyed to match the hood lock key so that much is alike...

THANKS ALL!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 1:56PM
The spare tire lock was part of the Security Package, which gave you the spare lock, a locking gas cap, and a keyed hood release, all keyed to the trunk key. My Cougar actually has that package, but the gas cap is long gone. 

I don't know if it's a different threaded anchor, but it might be. I am pretty sure it's thicker than a standard hold down and has more course threads. Mine works, but like yours, the "lock" part of it doesn't seem to do much. It appears to work by tightening up on the plastic threaded collar. I can still spin mine off in the locked position though. I'm guessing when they were new, it was much more of a tighter grip, which probably didn't allow it to spin. 

Here's mine, just for reference....

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 4:26AM
if the lock works like factory.when you put the key in it will lock or unlock it.after you lock your tire down you put the key in and turn it.then it unlocks the handle from the shaft and all it will do is spin.when it spins it will not back off the j hook. 
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 4:37AM
the pic of your key position power surge is in the unlock position.if it sins on and off i think your lock is damaged or frozen up.when the key is 90 degrees from that then its in the lock position to spin on and off the j hook.....  
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:17AM
I thought they would go on without the key, but the key was needed to get them off.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 10:47AM
once the lock is in the lock or unlock what ever you want to say.if it spins on you dont need a key to get it on or off.the key is to make the lock spin on the j bolt.if it spins it will not come off the j bolt.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 10:44AM
Yes , The Theft  of the 70's , but the problem has gone away, there a time when the best place to get a set of 500s  was in the trunks of your 72-3 Torino , Cougar . If you had them on the car ...  So you needed to lock it , But  now  if it is just going to be for static display just   clean it up .  Don't forget about the factory window sticker , that was the best  of the security package . If you got the crooks to read it before they broke the trunk lock  (sorry unable to post picture)  Remember the Tailgate problem of the 90's ? 
albos73gts
 Post Reply Post Reply