The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replace original seat belts with modern ones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTorino73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace original seat belts with modern ones
    Posted: 03-April-2017 at 10:09AM
So I am needing to change my seat belts in my 1973 GTS, just wondering if anyone has used new modern seat belts? If so which brand/model? Also will I be able to use the same anchor holes or will I need to drill new anchor points?

Thanks in advance.
Every day is a good day, some are just better than others

1973 Gran Torino Sport
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 10:19AM
I've got Porsche 911 seats in mine, using standard seat belts 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 10:55AM
We are both in the same boat.
I am currently starting to look into this as I wish to add shoulder belts in the rear for my hard working young apprentice mechanic nephews.
If you are just changing the belts most mount the same with the Torx screww, what gets interesting is when going to shoulder belts. I will be looking at cars with the retactor mounted under the package tray. I do want to keep a semi-same vintage look to the buckles themselves any suggestions guys?
A few years back (like 15-20) I know Deist (sp) was rewebbing belts but it was pricey.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 11:45AM
Oh sorry, misread the post! My bad! Thought you were asking about non original seats with original belts....

In that case and if you only want lap belts I'd just fit some kit car ones, although Land Rover lap belts do fit....would assume they're the same as your early Bronco, Burb etc

The main thing is just the mounting hole being the same size as the bolt you currently have
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 1:53AM
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 5:23AM
Just another suggestion:

http://sharonswebinc.com/ but this one may be out of commission according to the website. Disapprove 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 11:25AM
I just picked up these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222329488503
He accepted my offer of 60.00 shipped so I will take a chance on the "painting" method.

Side Note: some people have used RIT successfully it did not work for me even after being emmersed for a week in a quadruple strength bath! The belts only got a little darker (very little) though my hands where dark dark blue for 2 weeks! LOL
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 12:31PM
i used the kiwi black shoe polish on mine worked ok bought some rit to try never did Confused
but FYI the belts are nylon so the rit dye will wash out, i did some dice years ago and that happened so i redyed them and threw them wet straight in the dryer to bake the dye on Lamp worked great until a while later my step-mom seen the brown dye all over inside the dryer LOL and i had to wash it out OuchEmbarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
HiTorino73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTorino73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 11:39PM
Looks like the ones I was looking for. Thanks. Now just to call and verify they will work without any major modes to my anchor points.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 2:31AM
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 8:03AM
The belts I won will most undoubtedly require some modifications to the mounts and the addition of a mount for the "ham bone" (I think that is what they call it) for the shoulder mounts in the rear.If I am successful I will be selling the black front and rear retractable lap belts and a ginger front shoulder belts so stay tuned and wish me luck! Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 8:06AM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

I was thinking of trying these out: https://www.amazon.com/3-Point-Shoulder-Black-Length-Chrome/dp/B0013HWD1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491158050&sr=8-1&keywords=Seatbelt+Solutions+3+point#customerReviews

Non retractable but maybe that would work better for the rear anyway?

I think i saw a better price for that set somewhere on the 'net. The advantage of retractable would be a cleaner look when no one is sitting in the seat. on second thought I guess you could buckle and cinch them up tight when not in use.
HiTorino73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTorino73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2017 at 12:35AM
Quick question...does anyone know the Torx screw size to remove the seat belts from anchors? I need to buy a set and want to make sure it includes the correct size.

Thanks in advance.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2017 at 2:46AM
T-50
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply