The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Assembly Manual etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assembly Manual etc.
    Posted: 22-April-2017 at 3:38AM
Visiting has been great. So many people are taking care of their torinos. So now I have the bug and am getting ready to start fixing mine up. So I joined.

Before I start on the car, I would like to get the necessary reference manuals. That way I won't be getting into this blind. I hope those of you in know would have suggestions on which manuals, eg., assembly, parts, wiring etc. would be most usefully.

Getting ready to start another adventure in the garage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karl
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2017 at 4:41PM
Welcome Karl,
   Factory manuals are your best friends, a set on eBay is from 30.00 for used, to 69.00ish for reprints. I also picted up an assembly manual reprinted by Jim Osborn and the only thing he bothered to print clear was his watermark on each page...its 20.00 WASTED. With the advent of ziplocks and cell phones they are your best friends..take plenty of pictures and label your ziplocks!
HTH
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2017 at 5:59PM
welcome! yeah what thad said! bag and tag Wink put bolts and clips in a ziplock bag and write on it with a sharpie!!!!! store all your bags in a big box so they are all in one place when you go to put it back together, that way you're not searching for a missing bag.... it's all in one place!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2017 at 12:51AM
Cellphone pics for the win! Saved my butt more than once.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2017 at 3:29AM
If you can get a cd (or a hardcopy) of the Ford 73-79 Illustrated Parts Catalog and a copy of the AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners those will be a big help as well should you need to order replacement hardware or parts.

Pics/bag/tag/store together is the way to go!!

Good luck!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2017 at 7:22AM
I always prefer to write what the parts are on a 3x5 index card and put that inside the bad. I've had experience with the sharpie markings getting smudged and worse if on the outside of the bag.

And lots of pictures before and during the disassembly process. When you think you have plenty take some more. From every angle you can get to.

The manuals are good as well, but sometimes they don't give as much detail as you would expect.

Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply