The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

76 S&H RESTO PAINT PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick727c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2009 at 3:48AM
Hi Ralph ,This is Rickey from southwest Louisiana. I have aquired a 1976 Ford Torino Brougham from Ohio , 98,000 original miles on a 400 cu., great shape , all original. Finally had it transported to me after a year on April 7.I plan to do a conversion and restore in the near future.I do have some extensive knowledge in auto mechanics as I will be doing alot of my own work.I would be interested in picking your brain for some information along the process.I have added photos to a new forum.Hope I can rely on you for a little information from time to time.

Thank You
Rickey
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2009 at 12:53PM
Nice aquisition on the 76.I'd be happy to answer any questions for you in your quest to convert/restore the car.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2009 at 12:56PM
Kit,it is a duraprene gasket,not cork,I never use them anymore.Thanks for the compliments,pic of the finished hood insulation friday night!
Kit Sullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2009 at 8:28AM
Duraprene, huh? Sounds awesome, looks like cork!

Cheers!
"I'm too old to grow up now!"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2009 at 4:15PM
Forgot camera this morning,so I'll get the pics saturday!Didn't get to drive it,also saturday,had one of my molars pulled today,ouch!All drugged up this evening,so car stayed in garage!Wacko
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2009 at 4:57PM
Ralph....Glad you are registered for Carlisle. Should be at least 8 S&H Torinos there in June including yours. Looks like 3 Torinos from Jersey (Steve B and George G and Ralph G) and Chuck B from PA and Dave from Canada. Hopefully Mike M from NY and possible Dave Y from PA (if his car is out of the shop). Anyone else I missed going to Carlisle in June??? Feel free to add a name. There is a special Starsky and Hutch category if your car is painted red/white. Be sure to register in that special group.  Talk soon Ralph!!!
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2009 at 6:14PM
Originally posted by starsky76 starsky76 wrote:

Oh, that grille is beautiful...wish I could get something that nice for mine but I have a lot of other things to do before I can start reconditioning the plastic bits on the outside. More important things like weatherstripping, interior bits, and a proper tune-up.

What's this? I don't have a black bracket going from my core support to my battery hold-down? Is this an afterthought or did these cars come with this? I also don't recall my '75 having this as I changed the battery once and it had standard J-bolts and a top cover like the '76 sedan I have now. Where did this come from or was it custom made?

I noticed it's Friday night, and no hood insulation pics, and since I need to replace mine, I like the adhesive backed idea. I assume you cut it into the shape you want, peel off the backing, and stick it where you want it? Does it apply easy, not try to fall down?
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 8:53AM
Hey, Ralph-- what kind of paint did you use in the engine compartment.  That color & sheen for the radiator brace looks FACTORY.  Outstanding, but judging by your other work, I am not surprised...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 9:36AM
Yes I registered in the starsky category,pretty cool they added that.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 9:39AM
Alan,I agree the detail items can wait,just get it on the road to drive and enjoy.That battery bracket is correct for the car as my rad support has the proper factory hole with nut in it to secure it.I got the holddown and bracket from andy in hawaii,it came off a 76 cougar,but I've also seen them on torinos.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 9:42AM
Chris that's the extreme chassis black from eastwood,satin finish,I agree its looks really good!It also lays down real smooth and level from the spray can,I was impressed with it.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 10:52AM
Alan,the insulation is so sticky,it'll probably never come off.It took several tries with each piece to get them lined up and they were sticking on without any pressure,I had to literally yank them off when I had to repositon them.Here's the pic,it'sa little grainy because it was very bright out even in the garage.I did drive it today,trans shifted well and I am pleased,did about a 12 mile round trip.It was warm today like 83 degrees and coolant gauge read in the low 180's,high of 183 and low of 181.So that water pump and rad are doing a kickass job!I may take it out tonight to the local cruise spot.My freind been hounding me to get it out,I'm feeling a little better today,jaw still hurts like a beeyacth,so we'll see later tonight how I feel.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2009 at 10:53AM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2009 at 5:58AM
I'm sorry I must have missed it, where does the 'sticky hood insulation' come from?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2009 at 6:46AM
It's made by thermo tec.It's not officially listed as a hood insulation,but I had called them prior to buying it and spoke with one of their techs and I told them my plans for it and he said it would be fine to use on upside down flat surfaces under the hood.This stuff is really sticky,you could pretty much use it anywhere.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2009 at 7:38AM

Alan,the insulation is so sticky,it'll probably never come off.It took several tries with each piece to get them lined up and they were sticking on without any pressure,I had to literally yank them off when I had to repositon them.Here's the pic,it'sa little grainy because it was very bright out even in the garage.I did drive it today,trans shifted well and I am pleased,did about a 12 mile round trip.It was warm today like 83 degrees and coolant gauge read in the low 180's,high of 183 and low of 181.So that water pump and rad are doing a kickass job!I may take it out tonight to the local cruise spot.My freind been hounding me to get it out,I'm feeling a little better today,jaw still hurts like a beeyacth,so we'll see later tonight how I feel.

That's really slick looking, almost German-like obsessive as far as neatness. I like it. That definitely seems the way to go to avoid replacing plastic hold-downs all the time or having a big ol' tangleweb hanging every time I open the hood. It just doesn't look right with all that stuff hanging there but the way you did it is pretty trick.

I'll keep an eye out for more intermediates in yards and if I see one of those brackets I'll grab it. Would definitely help as I probably won't be replacing the battery tray just yet (it's only 40% rusted through LOL)
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2009 at 8:58AM
Whoa, Ralph.  It looks AWESOME (both the frame and the Insulation).  Thanks, as always, for the tips. Sounds like she's really coming together. I guess that means you have a little Eastwood in your Gran Torino?  Sorry, couldn't help the pun...

Edited by crispy23c - 26-April-2009 at 9:00AM

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2009 at 11:36AM
Yes I am german,lol.Nothing wrong with some eastwood in ya,go ahead,make my day!
Rick727c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick727c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2009 at 12:47PM
Ralph , What method did you use to strip the paint inside and out ? Where did you locate the wiring diagram for your torino ? Did you use the existng harness or order a new one from painless ? I would appreciate it if you could email me a list of complete suppliers for such items i.e. carpet , wiring harness, headliner to save you time and efforts answering so many detail questions later.

Thanks
Rickey
" Rick727c@bellsouth.net "
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2009 at 1:40PM
Rickey,I had the entire frame and body media blasted inside and out,including all the body panels.It's not cheap,but I wanted it totally stripped and didn't want to do it myself.The frame/chassis was sandblasted at a cost of $350,the body and all the panels was $1000.Wiring diagrams are all over ebay,I got orignal ford diagrams for about $30.I used original torino harnesses as everyting is there and painless is way overpriced IMHO and I don't think they make them for torino.I can e-mail you a list.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2009 at 12:30PM
Well I decided to scratch the new a/c lines.Couple reasons,my a/c guy is hit or miss when I can get a hold of him and I'm starting to feel the pressure some of getting ready to move.I cleaned painted and installed the stock lines and accumulator today and it looks allright.I found a source for R-12,but it's pricey,$45 a lb.I'm thinking I may need 3-4 lbs and that's near $200 in toxic gas,yikes!I know R-12 is more efficient than 134A and blows much colder too.Just gonna have to bite the bullet on it.I know I'll be thanking myself for R-12 in the vegas heat!Pics wed.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2009 at 2:23PM
Yeahm Ralph.  Vegas is coming up on the 'hot' season.  110-115 degrees and windy.  You want cold A/C!  Remember to drink lots of water if you are out for extended times, too.   Good thing is, you don't have to worry about rust!

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2009 at 2:56PM
What's up Chris,yes colder the better,I'm not much for the outdoors,it's allright to look at,but I won't be out in the heat much,maybe by the pool!I'll be indoors taking money from the tourists in the poker room.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2009 at 4:40PM
Forgot camera again.I'm not at my sharpest in the mornings,lol.I talked with my freind over at his shop,not the one who was going to do the lines,another one who can also charge my system,.He told me one of his suppliers carries an R-12 equivalent called freeze-12.It's made for the older R-12 cars and is very similar to original R-12.It's way cheaper at like $15 a lb.Another problem with buying R-12 in ny is you need to be licensed by the state in order to by it and have the proper recovery machine also to buy it.I was going to use my friend's info to purchase it,but he doesn't own a machine and you need the machines numbers to be able to purchase it.He doesn't really do reclaiming,just adding it to customer cars as needed.He's going to get me 5 cans for next week and I'm going to go that route.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2009 at 4:42PM
I also found out my system capacity is 4.25lbs.It's in the owners manual.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2009 at 2:32PM
My friend's supplier came over to my shop today and he had 7 cans left of the freeze-12 refrigerant,their only 9.6oz a can so it should be enough to get me near full.I might need one more to get it topped off.$13 a can.Here's a pic of installed accum and lines and also a couple pics from 2007 carlisle with huggy bear and a group photo of the torino owners,I'm the tall one on the left.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2009 at 2:34PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2009 at 2:36PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2009 at 2:38PM
Thats huggy signing his action figure for me!Wink
dannys73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannys73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2009 at 3:22PM
Ralph,
As I came from the Automotive Heating and Cooling business, I would like to warn you about the use of Freeze 12.  Alot of those "Freeze 12" products are highly flammable as they contain Propane or some other form of propellant.  Also, it will automatically void any warranty on most if not all manufacturers A/C products.  R 134a retrofit would be your best bet.  If done right, R134a can be very efficient and cold.  I hope this helps.  Car looks awesome BTW.
1973 GTS Q Code Cobrajet w/ 4 Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>