The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

76 S&H RESTO PAINT PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 5:22PM
Thanks Andy,if I can get that damn steering box to stop leaking,I'd be all set.It idled at a smooth 900rpm today as I topped of tranny,loving this fuel injection!!Roll out will be soon,probably sometime in feb.Another guy marc has a shop down the road and he said he would align it for me,nice.I 've been helping him out with inspections for his customers till he gets his new stickers.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 5:32PM
IS it leaking out the pitman arm?
I had my '76 Gran Maquis coupe pop the arm out of the box a while back when I had that car 5-6 years ago. Winterstorm, slid into a curb started leaking and then all the sudden lost steering pretty much as I was stopping to tunr a corner. Arm fell out the bottom of the box. Swapped it with a Torino box I had. Not fun in the dead of december in the snow in the driveway!
{And I miss that 460 4v beast at times.}
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 5:36PM
No its leaking on the top seal where the steering column shaft bolts on.Its just slowly oozing out will car runs,weird I just changed the seal and dust cover,maybe seal is no good.Going to try and get this nos seal kit on ebay for $10,try it again and if it still leaks.look into doing a rack.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 6:37PM
Well, I've never pulled the top of the steering box off before...only done one pitman arm seal before, but it's be many years.
I was looking through the PDF copy of the 72 service manual on my computer, and I found some interesting notes someone wrote in the book.
I don't know on that top, but hell worse case a new seal and call it a day.
I have the same problem on my '79 F150, steering box leaks and such a PITA to take off the truck!
hoses are good, but it's leaking from the box.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 11:43AM
I hope i can drive that when its done!!! SMOKIN NICEEEEEEEEE!!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 12:26PM
I had a thought today about my p/s box leak.Since I did change that top seal and it still is seeping out while car is running,maybe that newer pump I'm using is putting out to much pressure versus the stock style pump,causing it to seep out the top seal.I checked it today and it isn't leaking/hasn't leaked since saturday,it's dry looking around the top shaft.I have a good stock style pump at the house,so I'm going to bring it up so I have it on hand.I may even swap it out to see what develops.I do also have another correct pressure hose.I may do the pump swap first and see what happens before I take box out again and do another seal.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 12:34PM
I found out something else interesting.The hotrod power tour is going to be starting june 6,same day as fords at carlisle and their coming my way!!It's starting in wisconsin and by I think by june 10 they will be in dayton ohio and heading south to somewhere in kentucky and final stop is a bristol dragway in tennesee for the following weekend.I could intercept them in dayton,but I'd have a day or two of lag time.What the hell is there to do in ohio????Ermm

Edited by starsky76 - 26-January-2009 at 12:34PM
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 12:38PM
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland?

Edited by 1975MontegoMX - 26-January-2009 at 12:38PM
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 12:44PM
Cleveland's to far north,I'd be coming through the middle of the state from either pittsburgh end or through west virginia and looking to go across ohio and then south.
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 1:02PM
oh well only thing I could think of lol LOL
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 1:45PM
Ralph,
If you decide on crossing into WV, let me know when you'd be traveling down I-64 thru Huntington, WV. (where KY, OH & WV meet on the Ohio River) Love to meet up with you and see you handiwork first hand and show you my project as well.
JOE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 2:03PM
Yeah,that sounds great.I haven't finalized yet which way I'm going after carlisle yet,but that gives me a reason to head in that direction.I'm not much for preplaning anything,just do and see whatever comes my way!I'll keep you informed of my route,but it will probably be shortly before I leave end of may.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2009 at 12:49PM
Well today I did the pump swap.Didn't take to long,before I started it up, I jacked it up to look at steering box from behind to see if it was still leaking or not.The previous post of me thinking it was not leaking while the car was off were wrong.There was still a light trail of fluid running down the box,it just didn't reach the floor.Oh well,so there's no problem using the modern pump,it still leaks out with the older original pump.The shaft must be worn to much to fully seal.I did call my parts supplier and cardone does have the rebuilt boxes for $145 like castillo said.I won the upper seal kit on ebay,so I'm going to try another seal in it and if it still leaks,then I'll be getting a remanned box.I did have it running again and that puts a smile on my face!!Smile
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 11:57AM
FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CANTON!!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 1:22PM
I am a big steeler fan,GO PITT,spank arizona!!I would be cool to see the hall.I'm going to map it out from the pittsburgh end of penna and see how far it is.Maybe also stop in pittsburgh and check out the steel city!!Maybe I can get my car on the 50 yard line at heinz field and snap some pics!Now that would be cool!!!Wink
JonsTorinoSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonsTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 3:20PM
Let me know if you stop in the burgh!!! Its my HOME! lol

Seriously, if you come to town I can help show ya around.

oh and GO STEELERS!!!
When the road is your world, there's nothing like going fast!
-The Clarks
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 4:06PM
Hey Jon,I've been mapping it out from carlisle and I'm pretty sure I'm going to head your way to pitt for a day on june 8th.then hit football hall of fame in canton on the 9th and then make my way to dayton on the 10th for the power tour.Wow this is pretty exciting,lots of cool stuff to see and do!!I actually e-mailed hotrod to see if they have any interest doing a story on my car and my journey.Gave them a brief rundown on the car and such.I'll keep you guys updated on any developments.Everything will be updated regularly on my departure date near end of may and on the car of course!Wink
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 4:12PM
I did get some stuff done on the car today while I wait for the seal kit to come,mainly detail items.Installed the right front outer seatbelt,got the trans throttle pressure set,cleaned and put in the hood bumpers that go on the fenders,installed that plastic spacer piece that clips on the rad to cover the gap on front top of rad,touched up some paint chips on the rad support and changed out some hardware for new on the a/c box on the firewall.I have a new nos left front outer seatbelt,it's tan in color,so I'm dyeing it to see how it comes out.More pics by friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonsTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 5:45PM
Originally posted by starsky76 starsky76 wrote:

Hey Jon,I've been mapping it out from carlisle and I'm pretty sure I'm going to head your way to pitt for a day on june 8th.then hit football hall of fame in canton on the 9th and then make my way to dayton on the 10th for the power tour.Wow this is pretty exciting,lots of cool stuff to see and do!!I actually e-mailed hotrod to see if they have any interest doing a story on my car and my journey.Gave them a brief rundown on the car and such.I'll keep you guys updated on any developments.Everything will be updated regularly on my departure date near end of may and on the car of course!Wink

Sounds good man! I PM'd you my email address. look me up when you are in town! by that point i should have my torino out of dry storage... maybe we could go on a little cruise! I assume you will be bringing your car? ha ha!

Car looks amazing by the way!!! Wanna help me restore mine now? lol

I'm seriously looking into getting it painted, but I dont have the money for it. I wanna have it looking nice for my wedding in October so my fiance and I can drive off in it!
-The Clarks
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:18PM
Yeah a cruise arond the burgh would be cool!Yes I'll be driving it.If you have 12-24 months we'll get started right away on a full resto!lol.I'll stay in touch.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:31PM
Decided today to just pull the steering box and get the new/remaned one.I only want to do this one more time,Just want to get it done.So off came the fender again and am also switching back to my latemodel pump.Put in drivers seatbelt,decided to use my original, as the nos tan one painted black would eventually wear through to the tan as I'll be using it every time I drive.I will have them redone down the road by snakeoyl,but there pricey at about $500 for the pair of outers.Also installed the right corner bumper filler piece.Doing the left one friday along with cleaning and painting the rad air deflector and those plastic corner splash shields pieces that attach under the rear of fenders.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:32PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:33PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:34PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:36PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:43PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:44PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonsTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:56PM
Originally posted by starsky76 starsky76 wrote:

Yeah a cruise arond the burgh would be cool!Yes I'll be driving it.If you have 12-24 months we'll get started right away on a full resto!lol.I'll stay in touch.

Great! I'll have to get mine out for a ride I guess! I have the time for a resto.. i just dont have the money! lol

Ya just let me know when your coming.

Car looks amazing! keep the pics coming! i love it!
-The Clarks
motorheads5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheads5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 5:42PM
Very Very nice kinda cool a torino fan on the opposite end of the united states LOL
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 11:43PM
Car looks great, Ralph!
BTW, where did you find those trim pieces under the headlight trim rings?  they are HARD to find!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>