The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429's
    Posted: 27-May-2017 at 8:01AM
Hey guys, i have a base model 429 and am curious as to what is different between it and the 429 cj, scj, and boss. Thanks in advance.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 11:15AM
A 429 is a 385 sereis not a 335......

But CJ and TJ have difference cams and springs, SCJ is a totally different animal with massive ports and valves, CJ and SCJ would also be factory 4bbl carb

Boss 429 is a semi hemi shotgun motor, different block and heads 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 1:35PM

CJ & SCJ are not that different, carb/intake & cam, oil cooler & something else i forget, rev limiter? 

base 429 had the smallest ports, CJ & SCJ had the same but slightly larger ports and the Boss 429 Shocked I've heard it said that a tennis ball can pass through the intake port with the valve removed, IDK?

Jon Kaase has updated & modernized the 'Boss 9' heads to work with std production & aftermarket 429/460 blocks http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/html/kaase_boss_nine_-_semi-hemisperical_big_block_ford_cylinder_head.html
72 GT Ute

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 2:24PM
The MAIN difference between the regular 429/429 Thunder Jet, and the CJ, SCJ, and Boss versions were the heads. But there are lots of other mechanical differences.

Standard 429 - two-bolt mains, 2.09/1.65 valves, 10.5:1 compression and a 600 CFM Autolite 

429 CJ - 700 CFM Rochester carb, slightly smaller combustion chambers and 2.24/1.72 valves in the heads, a compression bump to 11.3:1, and stronger main-bearing webbing, improved rods/bolts

429 SCJ -  the pistons are forged aluminum instead of cast, a 780 CFM Holley carb,  solid-lifter cam and adjustable rockers

Some CJ and SCJ blocks got 4 bolt mains. Can't tell by casting number, you have to physically look

CJ and SCJ heads are the same...and have massive sized ports 

Boss 429.... motor built specifically for NASCAR use, but put into passenger cars to be qualified for racing use. Massive hemi style heads. 69s were closer to the actual race version, 70s were tamed down a tad
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 11:36PM
Th and check shared the same block. No main webbing difference

In fact my 429 tj is factory and has a boss block with ultra thick webs and mains. Blocks didn't change they just used what was available and if needed 4 bolted them
Barnaby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

Th and check shared the same block. No main webbing difference

In fact my 429 tj is factory and has a boss block with ultra thick webs and mains. Blocks didn't change they just used what was available and if needed 4 bolted them

Very incorrect. There are most definitely different blocks, and no way your stock Thunderjet came with a Boss 429 block.

Standard/Thunderjet 429/460 blocks were cast with either a C8VE or D0VE number. Early CJ/SCJ motors used a thick web D0VE block, and had the 4 bolt main caps added. In 71, Ford cast two more 429 blocks. Base engine blocks were cast with "D1VE-AA" (no middle number), and the CJ/SCJ blocks were cast with "D1VE-6015-AA". Again, 4 bolt caps were added to the CJ blocks. One of the confusing things about 429 block ID, is that since the 4 bolt mains were added after the fact, casting numbers alone can't tell you if you have a 4 bolt block. However, if you pull the pan and you DO have the 4 bolt caps, then you definitely have a CJ/SCJ block, as the 4 bolt caps were only added to thick main web blocks. 

The Boss 429 block was cast with a C9AE-E number, and was visually much different than other 429 blocks. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 8:22AM
Want a bet? 

Theres a Boss hybrid block that left the factory and was used in passenger cars.....its denoted by an A cast into the front of it. These also exist without the A depending on the plant, only found in blocks up to D0VE-A designation they shared the C9 front bulkhead and beefed up mains/webs alongside a strengthened rear

It is essentially a Boss block with standard oiling passages 

Barnaby

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 8:24AM
Barnaby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 9:19AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

Want a bet? 

Theres a Boss hybrid block that left the factory and was used in passenger cars.....its denoted by an A cast into the front of it. These also exist without the A depending on the plant, only found in blocks up to D0VE-A designation they shared the C9 front bulkhead and beefed up mains/webs alongside a strengthened rear

It is essentially a Boss block with standard oiling passages 

It really sounds like you're trying to pitch your case for being able to say you have a Boss 429 block.

Yes, the "Boss bulkhead" blocks use front, rear, or front and rear Boss end core castings. The only thing that gives you is more meat in the 1 and/or 5 main area, and that's only an advantage IF you convert the block to 4 bolt mains, since the majority of boss bulkhead blocks came in 2 bolt passenger car engines. 

You do NOT have a Boss 9 block. And pointing this extra casting anomaly out on top of the other different block castings, further contradicts your original statement that all 429s use the same block and there is no main web difference. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 10:03AM
Not really, I didn't even know what it was until I got curious and googled it......just a happy coincidence that it is but it was in a passenger car and was a TJ.

The Boss bulkhead block is essentially the same as a Boss block which is what I'm getting at with the thicker main webs and extra meat for 1/5 mains....really good if you run a blower off the crank as it stiffens the whole lot up given the extra force on the crank snout a blower drive creates 

Either way you could have had the same block used in a CJ or TJ, therefore the blocks are the same......my friend has a Boss bulkhead block which was a stock CJ motor but just doesn't have the A pad cast into it. Main webs are all the same thickness, blocks look identical

As far as I can tell Ford like Land Rover just use what they have to hand at the time the car is being built

Barnaby

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 11:42AM
The casting on my head is a 'D3VE-A2A' cant get to the block casting number as is the exhaust manifold is in the way.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 12:05PM
D3VE heads are larger chamber smog era heads from 1973 up to early 80's, remove starter motor if you want to check block casting......

Edited by Nuggets - 28-May-2017 at 12:05PM
Barnaby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 1:36PM
possible some of those wanky blocks were intended for industrial use, they were used in tow-behind air compressors as a 4cyl engine and a 4cyl compressor with a reed valve head on one side. every other plug wire was trimmed short & terminated to ground and i forget what they did with the carb & intake, i vaguely remember a 1 sided 2bbl carb it was a long time ago since I've seen one.
marine use is another possible

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 2:27PM
the air compressors i've seen used 302's
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:36PM
Quick question. I have a 429/460 with this ID on the block. Cannot really tell if it is an 8015 or a 6015 because of the layers of paint. Any clue what it is? 1971 model year, but no other knowledge of what it could be. Thanks.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:55PM
Looks like an 8, but it should be a 6, because 6015 is the basic number for a block. That SHOULD be a CJ/SCJ block. Is it 4 bolt main?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 6:03PM
Thanks Sal.

I have not looked under the pan. The pan bolts are loose, but I've not had the time to look under it. Just wanting to make sure it is not something more valuable than a standard 429/460 before I make a decision on keeping it or selling it.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 1:18AM
Joe,
 PULL THE PAN!! You may find something "good". This may give a good bit of info. 

As you know, not all internet info is correct, here's a pic of a D1VE-6015-AA block(note no thick webs and no 4 bolt mains), still could be a great engine block.

Edited by aquartlow - 29-May-2017 at 1:24AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 2:17AM
As far as the statement "Ford used whatever was at hand" goes, typically, Ford didn't use "lesser" blocks to build performance engines. (Warranty and fraud reasons), but "Better" blocks were sometimes used for "Lesser" engines, especially if they had a bunch and they had been superseded by a NEW "Better" block.
Also remember that these engines and cars are pushing 50 years old. That's a long time for Warranty Service Replacements, Engine swaps, meatball rebuilds, and Alien Encounters.
The engine in my T-bird came out of an 86 Lincoln Mark VII, and looked undisturbed when pulled. Turns out it's a 1993 Service replacement block, no VIN stamp anywhere. That was a 15 year old car when the engine was pulled, now triple that timeline.....
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 2:55AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

possible some of those wanky blocks were intended for industrial use, they were used in tow-behind air compressors as a 4cyl engine and a 4cyl compressor with a reed valve head on one side. every other plug wire was trimmed short & terminated to ground and i forget what they did with the carb & intake, i vaguely remember a 1 sided 2bbl carb it was a long time ago since I've seen one.
marine use is another possible

429s were very commonly used for stationary industrial motors, with PTO drives. 

I remember when I was a kid, the farm around the corner from my house, had a 429 inside a fence that powered the irrigation system. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 4:24AM
My buddy has one of those tow-behinds at his barn. Half the engine is an engine, the other half is a compressor. Basically a valley plate and a log intake with carb on one side, and another log intake on the other side with a filter to feed the compressor side. At the rear, where the transmission would go is a generator head. This used to go to construction sites in the 70s and early 80s and power the site.
Distributor only has wires for the cylinders that are engine cylinders, but it's not a Ford engine.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 4:55AM
i just remembered i know a guy that has a Ford powered wood chipper

lots of industrial uses, besides some mid-sized trucks from the era had gas engines and air brakes, they had a pretty serious compressor mounted on the front of the engine that may've caused Ford to want to beef the front bulkhead
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 7:58AM
There was a truck version, I think it was a 370, gas motor with a 2V carb in a lot of midsize straight trucks (stake beds, box trucks). We had one at a place I worked and it's diesel twin. Every year, someone put the wrong fuel in them. Trucks were virtually identical on the outside and both had the square fuel tank on the side with the manhole-size filler cap.
Another reason for weirdo varieties would have been the late 60s PS pump built into the front of the engine. I'm sure that needed the front beefed up.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply