The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351 CJ/4V vacuum line pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 CJ/4V vacuum line pics
    Posted: 10-June-2017 at 2:57PM
Trying to put my vacuum lines on my 73 351CJ to original routing. It's been very hard to find any reference photos online or in the Ford service manuals. 

Could someone with a factory original 351CJ/4V car please post some pics of the engine vacuum lines? Shots showing the manifold routing, firewall routing, and the factory air cleaner connection...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:42AM
I can tell you where the main hoses go to so you can be able to drive the car. The picture below is a vacuum manifold that is screwed onto the fire wall in between the heater core hoses and the windshield wiper motor. This manifold should be connected to your "full time/all time" intake manifold vacuum port at the rear of your intake manifold.
If you have power brakes, connect one port of the firewall vacuum manifold to your power brake booster. Then connect another port to your transmission modulator.

Edited by dave302 - 11-June-2017 at 3:49AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:45AM
For your distributor vacuum advance, you will have to connect the hose to the ported vacuum port on your carburetor. A ported vacuum port only has vacuum when the primary throttle plate on your carburetor opens (such as during engine acceleration). The ported vacuum port is located above the carb throttle plate in the carburetor. You will have to find out which vacuum port on your carb is the ported vacuum port. If you connect the distributor vacuum advance port to a full time/all time vacuum port on your carb, then serious engine damage might occur.

Edited by dave302 - 12-June-2017 at 12:55AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:46AM
The vacuum port on the hot/cold vacuum door solenoid on your carburetor air cleaner snorkel that is connected to the exhaust manifold, is most likely connected to full time/all time vacuum, either on your intake manifold or your firewall vacuum manifold.
If you are using an e.g.r. valve (exhaust gas recirculation) then you can connect it to a vacuum tee connector from your ported vacuum port on your carburetor. You should put an engine coolant temperature switch in the routing of this hose from the ported vacuum port on the carb to the e.g.r. valve. The switch should only open and give vacuum to the e.g.r. valve after the engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 180 degrees farenheight. Check your manual to see the exact temperature that they recommend. There is a picture below of a ported temperature vacuum switch. You might also have to connect one or two more vacuum hoses connected to a vacuum tee that would be connected to this temperature switch, depending on how many emissions devices that you have in your car.

Edited by dave302 - 11-June-2017 at 4:25AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:47AM
The 351C has a dry intake manifold so you might have to check your manual to see where to connect this switch to. On other engines some people connect it to the coolant thermostat housing and some people connect it to a coolant passage on the intake manifold. There might be a place on the front of the engine block near the water pump housing and thermostat housing to connect this temperature switch to.

Edited by dave302 - 11-June-2017 at 7:51PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 4:19AM
There is a picture below of the vacuum solenoid that is on your air cleaner. From the factory this solenoid is only supposed to open during wide open throttle of the carburetor. So it is most likely connected directly to the ported vacuum port on your carburetor, without the use of a coolant temperatutr ported vacuum switch.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 4:42AM
On cars with air conditioning, some of the vacuum blend doors/vacuum motors for the air conditioning, defroster and heater are controlled by vacuum. There should be a vacuum port penetration in the firewall to the right side of the heater core hoses below the windshield wiper motor. This penetration port is sometimes connected to the firewall vacuum manifold. It is also connected to the vacuum reserve can on your firewall. 
The vacuum can is used to hold a supply of vacuum for the air conditioning, defroster and heater vacuum blend doors, so they do not all open fully while the engine is at wide open throttle. 

Edited by dave302 - 15-June-2017 at 2:28PM
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 5:18AM
Thanks Dave. My main concerns were:

1) What does the secondary air inlet motor connect to? 

But I have found that answer- direct to manifold vacuum. I had been confused because on all the pics of 351CJs I found online, I could see the vacuum line coming off it, but could not see where it went. And to make matters worse, some cars had that line going to the rear of the motor, and some to the front. But I realize there is a vacuum port on the front of the intake and of course the vacuum tree on the rear, so there are actually front and rear sources for vacuum. I FINALLY found the factory emissions diagram for the 16A calibration (73 351CJ) and the pics shows it going to a nipple on the front of the intake. 

2) Where do all the lines on the back of the motor go? 

There are several things going on back here. First, there IS a plastic 4 port vacuum log looking device on the firewall. But it is not actually a vacuum tree. It's actually two separate vacuum circuits molded into one housing. The left side has two smaller 3/16" ports , and the right side has two larger 1/4" ports. 

Now, my research has found that one side is for the vacuum modulator on the trans, since this is a dual port modulator. The main hose on the center of the modulator goes to manifold vacuum. The second hose on the outside of the modulator goes to this "loop" (what Ford refers it as in the diagrams). Then it goes to the EGR circuit. 

The other side of the vacuum "tree", is for the HVAC lines. I THINK one side goes to manifold vacuum, and the other side goes to the vacuum canister on the firewall. The other line on the canister then goes to the line into the car. 

What I'm questioning.... is that are these two vacuum "loops" just tees, or are they check valves of some sort that requires the lines attached in specific places? It seems really odd that they would just be tees..... considering the lines could just come off the manifold and go right to the devices as they are all within inches of each other back there anyway. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 5:28AM
i remember the plastic connection fitting on the firewall. seems like a service disconnect kinda thing so a mech doesn't have to chase the other end of the hose, just disconnect at the firewall & leave both other ends connected

as i recall they're nothing but loops as you describe, no check valves or anything like that in them at all

the plastic double U turn fitting might be a universal interface for different calibration specs, wherever the vacuum source comes from for various builds they just all connect to the firewall and the rest is Hug

is the air cleaner housing door normally open and starting the engine initiates manifold vac pulling the door closed?

then under heavy throttle the intake manifold drops to a level that allows the door to open?
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 8:14AM
^^^ rock is correct. not check valves, larger hose will go to manifold vacuum. yes the smaller hose on the can goes inside the car to the heater controller IIRC  i can check the modulator hoses that parts car still has that stuff connected since i haven't had time to put the motor and tranny YET Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 9:05AM
yup the soup/coffee can is a vac reservoir for the interior climate controls, otherwise the flapper doors will operate erratically with throttle Confused 
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 2:55PM
Soooo....looks like I have been chasing a ghost. Tell me what's wrong with this picture. Yes.....there was a vacuum line on top of that....

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 2:58PM
shuts off function while still looks intact for emission visual inspection or show purposes

the bulge in the hose just looks like the barb on the nipple Evil Smile

what was it that got shut off?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:01PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

shuts off function while still looks intact for emission visual inspection or show purposes

HVAC..... heater control valve was stuck on heat (did not shut off with engine vacuum) and no change in dash duct locations. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2017 at 3:24PM
HVAC Shocked that's not one to plug off!! but since you are going for the stock look i was going to suggest running the lines but plug the unnecessary ones off internally with a section of bolt shank Wink  
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2017 at 11:29AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

HVAC..... heater control valve was stuck on heat (did not shut off with engine vacuum) and no change in dash duct locations. 
I know I shouldn't laugh, but that's FUNNY! I can imagine myself spending lots of hours and lots of $$$ chasing that.
(and never finding that)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2017 at 12:27PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that's FUNNY! I can imagine myself spending lots of hours and lots of $$$ chasing that.
(and never finding that)

I seriously had the line off that nipple and thought it just looked like a normal vacuum tree nipple with the usual bulge at the end. You can't see the phillips "X" unless you are looking dead at it. lol
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2017 at 7:22PM
LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply