The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torque converter seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque converter seal
    Posted: 21-June-2017 at 4:16AM
Hey guys my car has been leaking trans fluid like a siv, so i yanked my engine and am getting ready to pull my torque converter and am curious if when i pull it if fluid will leak everywhere? Also im not quite sure where it's leaking from but think it might be the torque converter seal in my input shaft.
If you guys have any advice for me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 5:07AM
C4/C6/FMX? I just had to remove my C6 to get at flexplate/converter due to some issues and almost no fluid spilled when I removed TC from front pump/stator while on level ground, but this could be a sign of another issue. If you are having leak issues with a C6- it could be the dipstick's O-ring or the converter drain back check valve is stuck open-this allows the fluid inside the converter to drain back into pan which raises the fluid level enough to overflow the dipstick O-ring and/or come out the trans case's vent. The drain back check valve is located within the stator that bolts to the front pump housing. If this check valve gets stuck closed the trans will overheat and push fluid out of the vent, since there would be no fluid flow to the cooler. If the converter bushing inside the front pump housing is overly wore this could be another potential issue that leads to a converter's hub seal leaking. Hope this helps. No on to fixing my C6 issues. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 7:23AM
Its a c6. I was told its leaking from either the pump seal or the TQ seal on the input shaft.
How do i go about pulling the TC?

Edited by Postma98 - 21-June-2017 at 7:33AM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 10:57AM
Well if it is in deed a bad torque converter you will at least have to pull the transmission or it may be easier to pull the engine/trans together as one unit, this really depends on how much you like to work on your back or if you are lucky you have access to a lift. This is what I just found inside my valve body causing my converter to dump fluid inside the trans, which delays transmission engagement at start-up. The converter relief ball was pushed through the separator plate.

Looks like it was shot with a .22!

To pull the trans you will need to remove the following: trans fluid, starter, drive shaft, headers/exhaust system(possibly, but sometimes not necessary), fluid lines to trans case, dip stick tube, transmission jack or just a hydraulic jack with a piece of 2x6 under the trans pan using a ratchet strap to hold trans to jack so it won't fall over (then raise trans),  trans cross member, speedo cable, kick down rod, shift linkage, trans bell housing to engine bolts(the top ones can sometimes be easier to access from above, behind the intake manifold, vacuum line to modulator, the converter/flex plate shield(located at the front lower portion of bell housing), the (4) 9/16" torque converter to flex plate nuts(must use 1/2" drive socket wrench with 15/16" socket-460's anyhow-to turn crank shaft to get at all four nuts, Now you can move transmission away from engine with a little bit of rocking motion, just be careful, having a couple extra hands makes things much easier. Once you have enough room, you can grasp the TC and with aturning motion just pull it forward away from trans, the input shaft may come out with it, no big deal. Just make sure to reinstall the input shaft with the shaft's "dimple" facing outward/toward engine. To make transmission removal easier if on your back have vehicle at least 18" off the ground, BB bell housing is 18.5" tall. I hope I didn't leave anything out. Good luck.

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 11:28AM
A couple hard wiggles shook my TC right off😂 But i dont know how to tell if my pump seal is bad or not. Do I have to pull my stator and pump?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 12:20PM
If you are already there, I would definitely install a new seal. You can remove the seal with an appropriate seal puller without having to remove the front pump then separate it from the stator. It would be best to suspend the transmission vertically before front pump removal, doing this keeps everything" in place", if a seal puller can not be located/used. Installing the seal can be accomplished with an appropriate seal driver or being very careful with a dead blow hammer(a 1' piece of PVC pipe that matches the O.D. of the seal can also be used to drive the seal into place) since the stator/input shaft is in the way(leaving the front pump installed). The more things you remove, the more of a chance for "bad things" to happen to an otherwise good transmission. Good luck.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 12:26PM
something to check for is if the bushing in the pump is worn it's like a cam bearing that the convertor rides on, if its worn bad the convertor can be riding low, allowing the fluid to get out past the seal, something to consider! the seal should be flexible and still have a sharp lip on the edge
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 1:30PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

something to check for is if the bushing in the pump is worn it's like a cam bearing that the convertor rides on, if its worn bad the convertor can be riding low, allowing the fluid to get out past the seal, something to consider! the seal should be flexible and still have a sharp lip on the edge

X2^^!

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 4:41PM
Not planning to pull my front pump, just going to replace the input shaft seal, if I have to tear past the pump then i will take it to a machine shop and have it built. I would like to have my heads and intake ported by a machine shop and have my heads rebuilt, so I'll fix my front seal and fill it up with trans fluid, if it still leaks I'll take it to the shop along with my heads and intake😂
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2017 at 5:49PM
sounds like a planWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2017 at 4:02PM
What would you guys recommend for a torque converter stall in my 429 with 3.50 gears? Is 2000 too high?
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:09PM
Originally posted by Postma98 Postma98 wrote:

What would you guys recommend for a torque converter stall in my 429 with 3.50 gears? Is 2000 too high?
not if its stock. may be too small though if not stock.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:11PM
the engine will not be stock after I'm done but the trans will still be.
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:13PM
Converter need to be matched to cam size, gears, and weight of car.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:20PM
Duration 252/252, Lift .468/.468
3.50 rearend gears
4700lb total
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:53PM
This chart may help with selection, totally agree what Allen said, have to take into account a few factors to successfully match a TC for an application.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 3:21PM
Originally posted by Postma98 Postma98 wrote:

Duration 252/252, Lift .468/.468
3.50 rearend gears
4700lb total
is that advertized duration? or @0.50 lift?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 3:22PM
advertised
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 4:17PM
A BBF usually likes and responds well to a camshaft that has 10-15 degrees more duration and .010-.015" more lift on the exhaust side, mostly due to their inherently poor exhaust port layout/flow, just saying. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 6:13PM
252* advertized that's basically a stock replacement cam, i'd say about 268-280* if you want some cam sound and added torque and power with out getting too crazy those bigger cams are generally a little milder in a bigblock
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2017 at 3:05PM
stock cam specs for my car listed 205-215 duration @ 050 385/385 lift
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2017 at 4:28PM
ok, now check the 252 cam and see what the numbers are on it at 0.50 liftWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2017 at 4:42PM
sorry read that wrong...it was 165/175 @ 050 for stock. The new one is 206/206 @ 050
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2017 at 8:17PM
206 sounds about right for a 252 cam  kinda on the mild side unless that's what you want
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 12:04AM
Stock camshaft specs, note the intake/exhaust duration and lift differences/spread.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 12:42AM
Comp had a 252 cam, they call it the Taxi cam because it's extremely fuel efficient and doesn't do much more than A to B. i knew a guy that ran the 252 in a 350 chevy, ran good just ran out of wind before anything got going. he put his Crane Fireball 296 back in 
252 doesn't need any stall converter at all, as the links above show 252 is very small / smaller than stock in most cases
72 GT Ute

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 7:27AM
Alright so i looked at the cam specs and don't know if I've been reading them wrong and figured i could save some time by just posting them.

Cam Style:       Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:       800-4,800

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:206

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:206

Duration at 050 inch Lift:206 int./206 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:252

Advertised Exhaust Duration:252

Advertised Duration:252 int./252 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.468 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.468 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.468 int./0.468 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):110

The reason for such a low operating range is because i wanted a low end torquee cam for around town and short drives. AKA a tire smoking monster!!! what do you guys think?

Edited by Postma98 - 25-June-2017 at 7:27AM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 8:17AM
What year 429? Is it factory stock or has it been rebuilt, if so what compression ratio? A high compression 429 will need a "larger" camshaft(more duration) to live on today's pump gas, it will bleed low rpm compression to aid in keeping detonation to a minimum. Having detailed engine specs are a must before an accurate camshaft recommendation can be given.

Edited by aquartlow - 25-June-2017 at 8:28AM

Post Reply Post Reply