The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sway bars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars
    Posted: 28-June-2017 at 2:38PM
So, as various alternatives have been discussed for control arms Little Shop, Hotchkiss, etc., we have poked around about sway bars and possible alternatives.
I got a good look under a 65 and a 66 Galaxie at a local cruise night. Sway bar mounting is significantly different from our chassis. Brackets attach to the outside of the frame rails and the bushings and retainer bolt to the bracket outside the frame rail. The frame is "deeper" from the frame rail to the lower control arm, which makes the sway bar end links noticeably longer. It might work using the torino mounts and end links, I don't know. Short of getting some serious measuring time with both side-by-side, I can't say one way or another. Didn't have a tape measure.
67 and 68 galaxie use the same frame, so they should use the same sway bars as 65-66.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 2:47PM
Maybe we could get MadMax to measure his 67 LTD sway bar for comparisons...
Would really like to see what a 67-68 Tbird sway bar looks like.
Torino front chassis was developed from the 67-71 Tbird chassis, which is based on the 65-68 Galaxie/Fullsize chassis. Mostly parts-bin engineering.
That's why the front Knee Assembly swaps work for disc brakes in the early galaxies.
72-79 Midsize was built to allow lower hood and ride height, (Ford was thinking about NASCAR) so we got the shallower engine crossmember and the goofy saddle-the-frame motor mounts.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2017 at 3:13AM
Doesn't addco or someone make bars for the intermediate chassis? That seem like a no-brainer to up the roll stiffness with just some bolt on parts. I think their front bar is like 1 1/8 or something. That's pretty big. I doubt there are any stock bars that size.
-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2017 at 3:16AM
1 1/8" is the largest stock front bar, got one on my car! Came from a 79 bird
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2017 at 3:20AM
what size is the addco?
-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2017 at 12:31PM
Good idea on the Galaxie bars.  I have a feeling that they won't work but I guess we don't know until we measure.  Going by parts numbers, it seems that the same type of bar was used 1965-68, than another series started for 1969-1972. 

Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

what size is the addco?

The Addco's are 1 1/8" front, 7/8" rear. They are basically the biggest bard combo for our cars.

1 1/8" bars are the largest factory bars and the same size of the Addco front bar.  They are not overly common on stock cars but not that hard too find.  They were used on a lot of Police Package cars, competition suspension cars, and some later Birds/XR7's.   Usually cars with a 1 1/8" bar front will have a rear bar.

For rear bar's, there was a 7/8" factory bar but these are pretty rare. Most rear bars are much smaller, in the 5/8" or 11/16" size range.  Of course way more cars came without a rear bar. The factory actually made a monster 1 1/8" rear bar for late 70's LAPD LTDII police package cars, but good luck finding one today.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply