The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front pump bolt Torque specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front pump bolt Torque specs
    Posted: 18-July-2017 at 11:58AM
You are going to need to drop the pan and calve body to see and/or verify that the front pump/stator thrust washer is in correctly(wish I had pics showing this). When looking up at the front of the trans from where the pan/VB was, you will see the back of the stator-thrust washer-direct drive clutch housing, these should be set flush to one another. Any gaps(other than a slight clearance) will bind up the trans. You can see these at the front of the pan/VB opening.

Also make sure the intermediate band struts are still in their proper place, they can get skewed when removing the front pump/stator assembly when the trans isn't in the vertical position. The intermediate band has a bit of "play" within the struts when adjusted correctly. Just a thought.

Edited by aquartlow - 19-July-2017 at 2:01AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2017 at 3:54PM
hmm sounds like a thrust washer or something out of place binding it up?Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2017 at 12:19PM
So i put my trans pump back in and when i put it in neutral and tried to push it back it won't roll and acts like its locked up. I am baffled and don't know won't to do. You guys preferred that i get it vertical (which i didn't), I'm about as close to buying a new one as i am to just taking the old one to a shop.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2017 at 1:52PM
Originally posted by jversch jversch wrote:

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I would not trust a thread locker type of fix, IMO a "heli-coil" type of repair is a better solution(especially considering the work involved to fix an issue once the trans is installed). Good luck.

Heli-coil it . kits are cheap and come with everything you need and you wont be pulling the transmission back out to try and fix it . Do it right the first time .Clap
Fairly simple and quick as well
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2017 at 5:01AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I would not trust a thread locker type of fix, IMO a "heli-coil" type of repair is a better solution(especially considering the work involved to fix an issue once the trans is installed). Good luck.

Heli-coil it . kits are cheap and come with everything you need and you wont be pulling the transmission back out to try and fix it . Do it right the first time .Clap
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 12:36PM

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 12:26PM
Its a c6. I stripped the case out so the bolt won't grab. But i have it reinstalled, any recommendations to help that bolt stay. I was thinking some red loctite and maybe just snug it down. What do you guys think?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 9:45AM
Not sure what trans, but I just removed my C6 and replaced the converter drive bushing in my front pump)also inspected pump gears). Front pump to case bolt torque ranges from 16-30 ft lbs, I set mine to 25. If it Is a C6 one tip here, use petroleum jelly(vasoline) on the front thrust washer to hold it to the stator when re-installing the front pump assembly(also use it on the front pump to case O-ring-definitely get a new O-ring before re-installing), you can confirm it's placement by looking from underneath(with valve body removed). Hope this helps.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 7:51AM
the transmission pump bolts?

what trans and if C4 do the pump bolts hold the bell?
72 GT Ute

Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2017 at 6:07AM
Hey guys i pulled the front pump seal on my mercury. Stripped one of the bolts to the case but everything else is nice and snug. What are the proper torque specs for that pump? Thanks in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply