The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowering Spring kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering Spring kit
    Posted: 20-July-2017 at 5:07PM
Awesome! So how much would you take for those? I should be getting that list together and I'll let you know what else I'm searching for.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 4:20PM
Originally posted by Andys74 Andys74 wrote:

" />

Andy, I'd suggest changing the link. Photobucket headaches. Something how these are being linked and Photobucket screwing over people.
{I'm concerned as this affects me as well!}
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 1:54PM
idk on the vinyl top source? others may know??? i don't have the side trim piece at the moment but i DO have the rear window set!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 4:50AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

andy, i couldn't find where you posted about needing some trim? i made a note that you needed some but don't remember which trim you needed??? since it says brand new member... i don't think PM's will get to you! let me know what trim you needed

I need the rear and left side trim for the vinyl. I have the driver side piece that turns into the rear (if that makes sense) I just don't have the rear and the passenger side. I also need the chrome rear window trim (all pieces). That is what I know of for sure right now. Still trying to find all parts from when body work was done. Didn't organize it very well. Thank you sir. One question, would you be aware of a good site to order a good original quality vinyl top? I found mustangmarket.com that does them. Do you know that to be a good source?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2017 at 10:31AM
andy, i couldn't find where you posted about needing some trim? i made a note that you needed some but don't remember which trim you needed??? since it says brand new member... i don't think PM's will get to you! let me know what trim you needed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2017 at 5:49PM
I appreciate the pictures. Looks good. Really changes the look of the car.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2017 at 7:42AM
And another example.  On my LTD II Squire wagon, I cut the front springs, instead of replacing them with lowering springs.  Pretty sure I cut 1 coil.
Before:

After:

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2017 at 7:35AM
Sorry for the delay.  Here's a before pic.

And after I installed the 2" lowering springs on the FRONT only.  I never installed the rears.  This was after going from 15" to 17" wheels also.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2017 at 6:32AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Boo Vinyl!!!!
Boo Vinyl!!!!

Agreed.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2017 at 1:56AM
Boo Vinyl!!!!
Boo Vinyl!!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2017 at 3:24PM
Yes it did, got taken off. Had a lot of weather damage. Water got in and set and did some damage to the roof. Body work was done and it will be replaced soon.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2017 at 3:06PM

Just got these wheels in. I think lowering it a couple inches or so would really make it way better looking.

Did the car originally have the vinyl landau roof?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:46PM
x2 on what vince said!!! i was thinking the same thing earlier
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:45PM

Just got these wheels in. I think lowering it a couple inches or so would really make it way better looking.

It looks great, I like the wheels.  Stance is a personal thing, but I think I'd just drop the front of your car a bit, and leave the rear alone.  I think these mid 70's cars look best with a bit of a rake.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:43PM
Keep "plugging" away and it will get done. Don't feel all alone with not getting your ride/project done in an expedited and/or timely fashion, I started my Ranchero's restoration in '91 and finished it in 2011 (I was pacing myself-Wink) and lets be honest they are never truly finished unless you sell them.    
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:16PM
It's been a long time coming to get it where it is now. My dad bought it in 74 brand new and gave it to me before I could even drive. Put money into it as I could but there were so many things that came first and time went by but now it's time and it's come a long way.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:04PM

That's some good info to have. Thank you sir.

You are very welcome, hopefully it will help in some way.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice ride you have there in the posted pic.

Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:00PM
That's some good info to have. Thank you sir.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 1:44PM
X2 on lowering Thumbs Up. Cutting the front springs ain't no big deal, even cutting the rear coil springs and re-forming the "pigtails" isn't too bad. This calculator helped me with choosing how much to cut my coils:
 http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm
Good luck. Todd

Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 1:07PM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 6:06PM
when you cut  the springs cut them with a 4" grinder
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:41PM
[IMG]http://[/IMG]
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:41PM
Sorry I should have mentioned only cut the front Springs not the rear. I wouldn't recommend heating springs to alter the height. If you want rear lowering springs custom springs are your only option. There is nothing wrong with cutting front Springs if done properly. I'm fact Eaton even suggests this to "adjust" there springs.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 13-July-2017 at 4:42PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:38PM
Ok thanks for all the help I look forward to seeing your car.
Hopefully my attempt to post a photo of mine worked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:27PM
Mine were about $400 shipped for the set of 4. I can post pics when I get home from vacation in a few days.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:14PM
Hey guys, I appreciate the responses and the help. I did also hear that it may not be the best route to go to cut and heat the springs. I'm sure I'll just end up ordering some of the springs online. Is there a close estimate as to how much these things run when getting them custom ordered for these cars? Also how can I post pics on this forum?

Edited by Andys74 - 13-July-2017 at 4:16PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:02PM
I ordered my set from Eaton. The problem with the above suggestion is it's not exactly easy to cut the rear springs because both ends are tapered. Some have cut them, then heated them to bend the pigtail. But that's not something I'd try.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 3:54PM
Unless your order custom springs from somebody like Eaton spring, you won't find one.  The easiest way to lower these cars is to select a spring with a spring rate you want for your driving style, then cut the spring to the desired height.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Andys74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 1:45PM
Where can I find a lowering Spring kit for my 74 Gran Torino?
 Post Reply Post Reply