The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?
    Posted: 31-July-2017 at 1:51PM
Looking to upgrade '72 GTS from bench to bucket seats. Looking for something comfortable that may also look somewhat stock to the untrained eye. What have you done? Are the stock '72 buckets comfortable if I take them to a good upholstery shop? How about a later model seat? Or is there an aftermarket modern seat that doesn't look too "modern". Your thoughts please!  
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 2:03PM
Right now, I'm putting 2010 Mustang seats in my 73. The new Mustang seats are made to look old school, but also have 6 way power and seat heaters (if you need them). 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 3:10PM
77-79 Tbird, Cougar, and LTD II bucket seats aren't too hard to find, and bolt right in.  Not sure on comfort though.  If you're looking for something very comfortable, then you probably want something more modern.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 5:59PM
I went with a hi-back bucket seat made by pro-car. I mounted the factory tracks on the pro car seat so the seat would go all the way back, almost touching the rear seat. Now I have plenty of leg room. I think I bought them from summit racing

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 31-July-2017 at 6:00PM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:38AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

I went with a hi-back bucket seat made by pro-car. I mounted the factory tracks on the pro car seat so the seat would go all the way back, almost touching the rear seat. Now I have plenty of leg room. I think I bought them from summit racing

Joe (unlovedford) has pro-car buckets in his '72, Bruiser, with the rear seat covered to match.  They look great.  Maybe he'll chime in on the comfort aspect.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:01AM
I put 73 Torino buckets in my 79 T-bird. They are reasonably comfortable, but I would like them better if they had a tilt-able back like a newer car.
if you get another set of seat tracks, you can shorten the crosswire and use that as well as your original set to mount the buckets. I don't know about the older cars, but almost every 77-79 I have seen has the captured nuts already installed on the seat cross-support under the carpet.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:24PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:25PM
Very comfortable in my opinion. They recline back and give good support
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2017 at 5:28PM
Thank you for the pictures. This really shows the Procar solution. Looks very tempting!!

They look comfortable and supportive.
72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2017 at 8:36AM
Would you be interested in selling the old bench?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2017 at 4:49PM
If and when I make the swap, I'll probably keep the seat with the car, but thanks for the thought!
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2021 at 2:28PM
So my bench is beaten down on the driver's side such that on the left side it's almost like sitting on the floor, but on the right side it's normal. After much time in the car, I know exactly what that will do to my back. So I was thinking of upgrading to buckets. I have the bench that has an armrest that can lower in the middle but is one piece on the bottom across the whole way. What can I do without welding?

Mac's Auto Parts shows some buckets that say they'll fit, but require a particular bracket. For 1971-74 Torino it shows one part number, and for 1971-74 Ranchero (OEM bench to bucket conversion) there's a different number, with another different one for 1971-74 Ranchero with OEM buckets. For my station wagon, would I want to get the 1971-74 Torino bracket, or the Ranchero bracket (OEM bench to bucket conversion)?

Or could I do something like the 2005 Mustang seats without having to weld anything? The website for one of my local junkyards shows black cloth manual 2008 Mustang buckets ("call for price" of course). If I could get those in without having to do metalwork that's out of my league, instead of waiting of however long it would take to send me brand new buckets from the manufacturer, there's some value in that.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 10:31AM
have you had a look at the springs under the bench yet?

do you have a link to these conversion brackets?
72 GT Ute

Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 10:49AM
I haven't pulled the bench out yet or looked under it, but given the way that side feels like it's on the floor, and how the seat material is a bit split at one of the seams but otherwise is in good shape, so the foam isn't all missing, I think it's a spring issue.

The link to the seat is here:
It has the list of which bracket to use. I searched the part numbers there and found them at Mac's for $120, but no picture.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 1:44PM
Easiest way is to use factory brackets. Good news is you're halfway there. Bench and buckets use the same brackets/sliders. Just the release wire is longer on a bench, and can be cut. The floor in a 72-79 already has the brace that supports both seats. Early cars may need the J-nuts installed on the inner holes, later cars usually have them already installed.
Find another bench seat car and pirate it's sliders/brackets. Trim the slider pull wire with the sliders installed in the car. center up your new seats on the sliders and work out new mounting holes as needed.
Mac's is screwed up. All years 72-79 use the same floor pan/seat mount scheme. They were better before getting captured by Dearborn Classics...
Only seat tracks that are different are for power seats. This includes 72-76 Thunderbird and Mark IV.

Edited by Big Bird - 25-November-2021 at 1:49PM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 8:08AM
The problem with the above plan is finding another bench seat car.

I've seen some posts here about using newer Mustang seats. One of my local junkyards shows 2008 and 2012 Mustang seats available. What exactly would I have to do to install one of those sets in a Gran Torino?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 11:14AM
Ping hogfiddles. He may sell a set to you.
Exodus 73GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus 73GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 11:56AM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Looking to upgrade '72 GTS from bench to bucket seats. Looking for something comfortable that may also look somewhat stock to the untrained eye. What have you done? Are the stock '72 buckets comfortable if I take them to a good upholstery shop? How about a later model seat? Or is there an aftermarket modern seat that doesn't look too "modern". Your thoughts please!  

Have you heard of ProCar Seats by Scat Enterprises ( Same company as SCAT Cranks ) 

Procar by SCAT - I recommend it greatly. Vintage look, Vintage design. Not huge in the market yet, so you can get a good affordable deal.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 7:28AM
Originally posted by Inkara1 Inkara1 wrote:

I've seen some posts here about using newer Mustang seats. One of my local junkyards shows 2008 and 2012 Mustang seats available. What exactly would I have to do to install one of those sets in a Gran Torino?
People's Republic of California has no Torinos left?
I recommend "Tar and Feathers" for all your politicians. Then run them out of town on a rail.
(Actually, I recommend that for ALL politicians. Most celebrities too.)
Shouldn't be too hard to adapt. Torino had a level/square mounting for the seats. Center the seats, and measure to the mount points. If all 4 holes on your new seats land on the seat support, you could add new holes and move the J-bolts.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 9:28AM
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.

Plymouth Laser seats, solid AF

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 9:40AM
Originally posted by Inkara1 Inkara1 wrote:

I removed the original bench seat. The holes for the bucket seats are in the floor already so all you need are the bolts. I found a set of 6 way power seats from a 2014 Mustang GT in tan/tobacco color, and cut the factory brackets off the tracks. Then made metal flanges with mounting holes that match the floor locations of the Torino bucket seats, and had them welded on. Have the drawings for the flanges if desired. 

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 2:37PM
Look at Rockatansky's pictures above. He is still using the factory mount points, but if your desired seats sit on those raised braces, you can drill holes and relocate the J-nut clips to fit. Or bolt your seats/tracks to angle iron and drill thru both if they don't land on the braces.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
HuevosRancherosGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuevosRancherosGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2021 at 6:32AM
Do you happen to still have your bench seat? I’m looking to buy a bench, if anyone has one for sale let me know. I’m located in Southern California. 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2021 at 3:56AM
LOL, my bench went as fast as i could get rid of it. It looked (and smelled) like a pack of Baboons were living on it.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 10:29AM
So I finally got around to removing the bench seat and vacuuming all the rodent crap out from underneath it. Turns out mine is an earlier car that doesn't have the j-nuts on the inner seat mounts. Is there a particular size of j-nut I should look for or a particular place to get one that's the right size?
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2024 at 5:26AM
Hey Sal, 

Do you happen to have the link to the seats you put in your 73?  I'm in the process of replacing the seats in my 73 Brougham.  We tried to get the originals redone but that's not going to work so we are moving on the plan B!
Bre
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2024 at 4:55AM
Originally posted by Bre Bre wrote:

Hey Sal, 

Do you happen to have the link to the seats you put in your 73?  I'm in the process of replacing the seats in my 73 Brougham.  We tried to get the originals redone but that's not going to work so we are moving on the plan B!

Sal, PowerSurge, is no longer an active member here.  He hasn't logged into the forum since 2019.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2024 at 7:19AM
I figure I should update my part of this thread:

I ended up buying a set of "Sport Seat" buckets from Corbeau, along with their lower brackets meant for a "Ranchero 71-74 with OEM bench seat." I was able to put a J-nut on one of the inboard seat bolt holes, so each seat is held to the floor with three of the four bolts. I was able to order the driver's seat with an air bulb to inflate a bladder for lumbar support, which helps my back a bit on a long drive.
r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2024 at 8:20AM
FWIW: I bought a pair of Scat Procar seats. Fabricated my own brackets for them. Cheap and easy install and the seats recline. Pretty comfy overall.
1973 Ford Torino Base 2D 351CJ Project
1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
 Post Reply Post Reply