The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about some odd rust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about some odd rust
    Posted: 03-August-2017 at 11:55PM
I spent most of the night working on the new truck. It looks like the engine compartment has never been cleaned. I'm dealing with a lot of small, annoying issues but the rust on the power steering pump has me stumped.

I've called the problem rust but that may be wrong. It could be some type of corrosion. The best way I can describe what the pump looks like is, "a pastry with a thick, hard, glossy icing." It has a fragile look to it like one of the hollow, chocolate Easter Bunnies. Break a piece off and half the side will break apart in pieces. I don't think that will happen. It just looks like it. Additionally, it looks like a build up rather than wearing away like typical rust. There is no spalling or breaking up. Just the opposite. There is almost no appearance of any sharp edges like the surface is growing and filling in negative space. I hope this is descriptive enough and makes sense. 

There are some small areas that look like typical rust but other than that the only thing typical is the color. The pump does have the color of being covered in rust. I'm just guessing but I assume what has happened is a result of power steering fluid and heat. There's no indication of any leaks but the truck is over 15 years old.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Can the pump be cleaned up or should it just be replaced? Would it even be accepted as a core trade in? The closest I've seen anything to this is penetrating oil on exhaust manifolds.

Don

Edited by Don V. - 03-August-2017 at 11:58PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2017 at 3:05AM
Shocked sounds odd from your description! i think this is a perfect opportunity to work on your pic posting skills---- because i what to see this! maybe i'm just still half asleep yet reading this, but sounds weird
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2017 at 10:45AM
John,
I'm going to try for some pictures but no guarantees. Best bet will be for me to use someone else's computer again.

Don
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 2:58PM
If you can't do it with you computer Don, you can email me the pictures, and I will post them for you.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 10:55AM
Vince,

Thank you but I can't upload to my email either. I've got to solve this but every option has its "that sucks" bonus to it. I'm think of a inexpensive tablet for doing this stuff and never be concerned about who or how it gets hijacked.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2017 at 10:19AM

Microsoft has finally screwed all 3 computers so this is the best I can do to get a picture up. The shine is lost but the rust or corrosion can still be seen. The truck was Zbarted and I wonder if that is what caused this because they just sprayed everything. I couldn't get anything with my camera that wasn't a blur from the PS pump. This is an exhaust manifold.

FYI, Helm said they are doing whatever they can to keep WIN 10 away from IDS.

Edited by Don V. - 22-September-2017 at 10:20AM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2017 at 12:06PM
Is that an exhaust manifold??? Looks like scale rust from here.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2017 at 5:33PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Is that an exhaust manifold??? Looks like scale rust from here.

Yes, it's an exhaust manifold. Scale rust? It could be but I always thought of scale rust as being like fish scales where the metal erodes away in layers. I wish I could get a better picture but if the picture is taken too far away you can't make it out. Too close and it blurs.

This is all solid and hard and there is no scaling to be seen. It's shiney which can't be seen well in the picture but you can see at the bend the rust\corrosion stops and the manifold changes color to the typical orange rust color and leaves the rust dust on your hands. Where the pitted, barnacle look is at nothing is left on my hands when handling. It's hard, smooth and clean (looking). It's on a lot of components which I didn't start to get a good look at until I pulled the PS pump.

I'm thinking it was caused by something that got on the engine and reacted with heat but it's nothing like anything I've seen before. It's why I wondered about the Ziebart treatment which was sprayed on without much thought to how much or what it got on. The sticky, tar like stuff is on everything and can't be avoided.

Whatever the cause it's more detrimental than the typical rust.

Edited by Don V. - 22-September-2017 at 5:36PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2017 at 5:44PM
hmm, sounds chemical to me???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2017 at 2:52AM
I do a lot of work at a site where they spray the roads with a salt mixture that has an additive that makes the salt stick to the roads. It also makes the salt stick to your car. I think it's a beet juice extract...
Anyways, our work wan looks like that on the underside, chassis, exhaust, suspension are all rotting off. Front springs as well. 
Randy
1979 T-Bird
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2017 at 6:53AM
Yeah from your picture it looks like a typical salt belt exhaust manifold. Salt keeps eating through the metal in layers until a hole appears. Look for a better one if possible.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2017 at 4:17PM

I do a lot of work at a site where they spray the roads with a salt mixture that has an additive that makes the salt stick to the roads. It also makes the salt stick to your car. I think it's a beet juice extract...
Anyways, our work wan looks like that on the underside, chassis, exhaust, suspension are all rotting off. Front springs as well. 

"Beet juice" is a new one to me and I'd tend to agree with you except this is only where there is a lot of heat. That's something I couldn't originally see until I started taking the truck apart and did some cleaning. What rust there is to areas like the springs and chassis is typical unlike this. The one thing that heat hasn't effected is the SS exhaust and the aluminum engine components. Although it's not limited to cast parts that's where it's the worst.

I'm convinced this has something to do with the Ziebart or something else that got sprayed under the hood at some time. Like John adds, "chemical." It's odd how it seems to have encased the parts.

Stanman, I lived most of my life in the rustbelt and this isn't the typical salt effect. I've never heard of any salt additives used here to explain it. The trucks entire life has been here also so it's not an imported effect.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 3:41AM
I started getting the motor ready to pull yesterday and I got a good look at the block with everything off the motor and the front clip off. Around the passenger side motor mount the block looked bad with this corrosion or whatever it is. I started poking at it with a phillips head screwdriver and it went right through the block like it was a hollow, chocolate Easter bunny. That was a first.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 3:55AM
Shocked what?????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 4:15AM
So the screwdriver went through the side of the block itself? Or maybe the freeze out plug?
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 5:48AM
Right through the block. When I was letting my buddy work on the truck here we knew the problem was either a cracked block or blown head gasket. We hoped for the head gasket but I'd guess now it was the block. Obviously something extremely unusual happened. It went through something, somewhere or something intentionally malicious was done to the vehicle.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 10:25AM
I've done some searches for the cause of weak, brittle blocks and other various key words and a consistent cause is heat. Discussed are engines that are heavily covered in grease and oil or "other" preventing heat from radiating from the block. As I've said, this engine was covered with rust prevention. Everything was. Sounds like an "old wives tale," or "urban myth" until now.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2017 at 12:21PM
Never seen a block rust thru before.
Please indulge us with pictures.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 7:56AM

Never seen a block rust thru before.
Please indulge us with pictures.

As it is right now I don't think a picture will show much. I'm getting some work done on the coyote which I will know more about tomorrow and for now storage of the 4.2l in the truck is convenient. When it gets pulled I'm going to rebuild it with a new block and I will get some pictures for you then. I still have picture problems and just went 2 weeks without my IDS thanks to MS. (long story but if it wasn't for a hidden drive and an image file it would have been gone for good) I want to see where I went through. Water Jacket? I was asked about the wrong or mixing antifreezes, orange and green. I've read some stern warnings about this but I don't know.
 Post Reply Post Reply