The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade ram air for a 72? GT with Sport hood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade ram air for a 72? GT with Sport hood
    Posted: 08-August-2017 at 7:49PM
Just came across a thread I started a while back that reminded me to ask this.

Looking for ideas on how to do this for those of us without a machine shop or metal shaping tools. I was planning on using the stock air cleaner base and fitting some sort of box thing on it to go under the hood scoop. But it sounds like the stock air cleaner won't work on my planned Edelbrock carb.

Another thought I have had in the past was to make a dual snorkel air cleaner (I have a second snorkel I bought just for this) and run ducts like the old Thunderbolts did (only probably not using the inner headlights, but a possibility) until I realised that having air conditioning would make me have to mount the second snorkel way off and have wonky duct routing. But I suppose another option would be to move the stock snorkel so at least they look symmetrical. I'd have to do some cutting and reworking of the radiator support as well. So not as easy as I had first thought.

another option would be just to use the one snorkel with ducting. But to me that just sounds horrible. But I guess it is the basic late model setup these days.

Since I have the hood scoop it just makes more sense to me to use that, at least as the first choice.

I have found a reproduction ramair system http://www.fordramair.com/new/artwork/images/products/torino/72_ram_air/72_torino_ram_air_pics.htm, but short of winning the lottery that probably will never happen.

This is just one of those things I keep thinking would be neat, if it never happens it won't kill me. LOL

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 08-August-2017 at 7:51PM
 Post Reply Post Reply