The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Delete

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrizzlyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Delete
    Posted: 23-August-2017 at 3:26PM
Hi guys, new forum member here.

Last summer i removed the non-functioning AC from my 72 Gran Torino (There was a quarter sized hole in the top and bottom of the compressor). This included basically ripping out the giant box attached to the firewall that connected the blower motor to the heater core and the vents. I couldn't figure out a good way to reconnect the blower motor to the heater core (which leaked anyway) so I removed the heater core and the heater box under the glove box and sealed it up with some sheet metal and caulk.

This obviously didn't do a great job sealing up the firewall, and I'm looking to put the heater box back in. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect the vents from the blower motor to the heater core? The only thing I could think of doing was fabricate something, which seems like a huge PITA. I looked around online for a replacement box to fit over the spot where the AC box used to be but couldn't find anything that would fit in the '72.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

-GrizzlyJoe
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2017 at 2:17AM
You could use a firewall section from a non A/C car ,  or put the old stuff back in without the a/c .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2017 at 12:33PM
on one of mine i gutted the evaporator plenum (the big box you took off the firewall from the engine compartment) and trimmed it down to about 3" off the firewall. then i made a cover panel out of aluminum to close the trimmed side creating a transfer duct. seal it on the inside and 'body work it' on the outside, paint it black and reinstall. now I'm wondering what ever happened to that piece of art? you could also just make a transfer duct that covers the 2 holes but that introduces new screw holes through the firewall.

on my current car i swapped out the A/C heater plenum (behind the dash) for a heat only box and made a panel to close the firewall the same as a factory heat only car. blower motor bubble is a metal can dovetailed & sealed on the back side. pic is at the point where i broke down & bought the long handled 2 man riveter

Edited by Rockatansky - 24-August-2017 at 12:37PM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply