The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have no clue what to do...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have no clue what to do...
    Posted: 04-September-2017 at 12:53PM
I finally have my engine in the car, now I try to tap it over and give it some fuel and spark but only seam to get spark. Every time I turn it over, the positive battery cable heats up along with the starter cable. The battery solenoid heats up almost instantly and was told it could be a bad ground but I cleaned every piece of the block and ground connections and it is still heating up. Does anybody have input or have any suggestions of what to do, as always thank you!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 1:22PM
negative wire from the battery to the block,ground wire back of the head to the firewall, i have another large ground from the frame to the body under the car, and another ground from the block to the frame. then there are the 2 ground wires from the frame to the front fenderwells
make sure the positive wires have good clean contact at each end of the wires!!!

some of those cheap premade cables from the parts stores have crappy contact!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 1:56PM
If it's not a ground issue, then it sounds like either the starter is internally shorting, or it's under heavy strain. Does the motor turn over easy by hand?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 8:00PM
yeah sal may be correct.. the more i think about this, if the ground wasn't carrying the load it would heat up at that resistance choke point!!! if the starter cable and solenoid and the positive cable as well, sounds like it's either drawing too much from the starter???or something 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 11:43PM
So do you guys think it might be my starter? It doesn't bar over very easily, and the starter sounds like it struggles and lugs. I had the engine taken to a shop and worked over pretty good, so are you guys thinking heavier duty starter and better ground?

Edited by Postma98 - 04-September-2017 at 11:44PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 6:48AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Does the motor turn over easy by hand?

i looked back & saw that you had some problems with the trans pump & the engine/trans being locked up ...

like maybe the trans pump is bolloxed during the engine install?

if you have a beam type torque wrench how much force does it take to turn the crankshaft balancer bolt?

with the spark plugs out (no compression)

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-September-2017 at 6:48AM
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 2:15PM
When I got mine started this summer I replace the first reman starter because it was defective and was drawing too many amps. I also wound up with an extra 4ga ground wire by the time I was done getting it together.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2017 at 12:45AM
Originally posted by Postma98 Postma98 wrote:

So do you guys think it might be my starter? It doesn't bar over very easily, and the starter sounds like it struggles and lugs. I had the engine taken to a shop and worked over pretty good, so are you guys thinking heavier duty starter and better ground?
Doesn't bar over very easily. Do you mean it is hard to turn the engine with a breaker bar?
Can you torn the engine over with a breaker bar without spark plugs installed?
If the engine is too tight, all changing grounds and starters will do is ruin more starters.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2017 at 12:59PM
So, I called the mechanic who built the engine and he told me that it's probably gonna be running a little bit higher compression so the engine is gonna be harder to start. He also said he replaced all of the internals so it's gonna be super tight. So I hooked up another ground from the block to the frame. It's not heating up as bad but now am in need of a new fuel pump. Got everything set up to get her timed and break it in, and we weren't getting any fuel, so I pull the fuel line from the pump to syphon from the tank and it started flowing.
I could suck fuel up the line, but it wouldn't pump it, so I think my diaphragm is shot.

Edited by Postma98 - 10-September-2017 at 1:13PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2017 at 2:15PM
yeah sounds like it! it could be tight, once you get it started and run it to break in the cam it should start better after that.
 many years ago i built an engine that was real tight...let me take you guys back, way back, to the mid 80's...times were tough! long story short... i was staying with a buddy and later his younger brother came to stay with us to learn more about cars! well one day jim tells me and his brother jack...you guys better have that engine done by the time i get home from work! jack says jim's being a jerk well as we were assembling the engine (SBC 350) jack asks me you know how they say to never mix up the rod caps?what would happen? i said i don't know but let's find out Shocked i pulled all the rod caps and a couple main caps, threw them in a coffee can and told jack to close his eyes and mix them up then hand me one, i installed it with my eyes closed! until they were all back onBig smile then torqued them down, yep they were in the wrong order LOL well needless to say yep it was tight Shocked so we cranked it till the battery was dead, charged it back up, cranked some more, charged again...
the second day she finally turned over fast enough to light off! Clap broke in the cam, fine tuned it , that thing was wicked!!!and indestructible tire frying monster!Big smileLOL but got lucky i guess, not that i'd recommend ever doing that Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2017 at 6:20PM
Originally posted by Postma98 Postma98 wrote:

So, I called the mechanic who built the engine and he told me that it's probably gonna be running a little bit higher compression so the engine is gonna be harder to start. He also said he replaced all of the internals so it's gonna be super tight.

horsehockey
72 GT Ute

Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2017 at 3:19AM
With the fuel, if it's a mechanical pump, was the lever installed under the cam lobe or above it?  I made the mistake of initially putting my Carter Mechanical back in with the lever riding on top...and it was therefore not pumping any fuel.  Rookie mistake for me.
Danno
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2017 at 12:41AM
Hi, 
should be under it, look at this picture, i dont think it will fit the other way!!
hope this helps,

Syl
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2017 at 2:43AM
Originally posted by Danno Danno wrote:

With the fuel, if it's a mechanical pump, was the lever installed under the cam lobe or above it?  I made the mistake of initially putting my Carter Mechanical back in with the lever riding on top...and it was therefore not pumping any fuel.  Rookie mistake for me.

Back in the early 80's I built an engine and forgot to install the fuel pump drive eccentric. No fuel pressure. I took the easy way and installed an electric fuel pump.

As far as the engine being "tight"...I call crap on that. Higher compression; yes, but unless this guy didn't check his clearances, it should turn over smoothly and easily with the plugs out. High performance engines should not be built with closer tolerances than stock unless specified by the rod manufacturer.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2017 at 2:23PM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

it should turn over smoothly and easily with the plugs out. High performance engines should not be built with closer tolerances than stock unless specified by the rod manufacturer.

performance engines are built with looser clearances than stock, the only thing making it harder to turn with the plugs out should be the stronger than stock valve springs
72 GT Ute

BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 1:38AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

it should turn over smoothly and easily with the plugs out. High performance engines should not be built with closer tolerances than stock unless specified by the rod manufacturer.

performance engines are built with looser clearances than stock, the only thing making it harder to turn with the plugs out should be the stronger than stock valve springs

Agreed; for the most part ;)
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2017 at 2:54AM

Agreed; for the most part ;)

Star The "for the most part," is usually identified with if a pre-start regimen is required or not. High reving, super over-square engines have very tight tolerances where the engine and fluids have to be slowly brought up to operating temperature before starting. An F1 engine with an average life of 20 hours will start and run without following the pre-start routine but the engine life span is cut to about 2 or 3 hours.

Sorry I can't add anything to help Postma98. Problems like you've outlined are interesting for about an hour then they really suck. I'm dealing with a similar intermittent fuel problem but my problem is with intake manifold vacuum. The only thing I might suggest for the electrical problem is to see what happens if you hot wire the car? Make sure the key is off.

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply