The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Previous Owner Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Previous Owner Story
    Posted: 04-September-2017 at 4:53PM
Thought I would share this car story from the original owner of my 72 GTS.

This guy drove up while I was parked at Best Buy and he asked where my GTS came from?
I said I was told by the used car salesman that some guy who works at a liquor store in town used to own it. He said, well that guy is me, and I special ordered this car from the factory through the Ford dealership in town. I said I haven't seen any 72's with a factory 429 in it, why did he order it with the big block? He said he originally ordered the car with a 400 which was a new engine from Ford that year, however after he placed the order Ford put a production hold on the 400 because of some major defect in the engine design. The dealership said he had to pick a different engine 351CJ or the 429. He said being a teenager at the time, he went for the bigger number. I told him I still have all the original parts in my garage, but I want to drag race the car for a while. He said he prefers to keep his cars original and he didn't like all the performance parts I've added. Oh well, its my car now I was thinking but I didn't say anything at that moment.

Any of you guys have a car story from the previous owner of your cars?

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 5:13PM
what's the chance of that happening?

so the car is an S code?
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2017 at 7:45PM
that's cool! so are you the second or 3rd owner?
IIRC 429 should be an N code
hmm interesting... wonder what code is on the VIN???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2017 at 5:39AM
Great story. Did he want it back?
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2017 at 1:05PM
Cool story.  Where in Canada are you?  I take it this was an original Canadian car then?

The back story to my car is that it was purchased new by my dad in 1972.  He dealer ordered it, pricing out the options he wanted.  Never winter driven and went from Dad to me about 13 or 14 years ago.  I grew up with this car, now my kids are gowing up with it. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2017 at 4:59PM
[QUOTE=Rockatansky] what's the chance of that happening?

so the car is an S code?

2nd owner if you don't count the used car dealer where I bought the car.

VIN # 2B35NXXXXX

Ford Assembly Plant: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Engine: "N" - 429

I live in a small town near Vancouver, BC.  

The original owner drives a newer NASCAR style Monte Carlo SS, obviously not a true blue oval guy. 

Edited by TorinoMan - 07-September-2017 at 5:33PM
TorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2017 at 5:39PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Cool story.  Where in Canada are you?  I take it this was an original Canadian car then?

The back story to my car is that it was purchased new by my dad in 1972.  He dealer ordered it, pricing out the options he wanted.  Never winter driven and went from Dad to me about 13 or 14 years ago.  I grew up with this car, now my kids are growing up with it. 

I lived in Ottawa during the 70's, that's where the old iron got into my blood.
Did your dad order the rear window defrost? My GTS has that option. 

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2017 at 12:26AM
Very cool!  I was lucky enough to buy my Montego wagon from the 3rd owner.  The original owner had been his neighbor and friend.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2017 at 2:35AM
What are the odds of this guy just happened to be at the same place at the same time. Very cool!

The back story to my wagon is it was a one family owned wagon. Apparently the guys Grandmother bought it new, then when she passed the Dad got it and drove it until the transmission went out. It was stored at his Dad's house until he suffered from a brain tumor and he lost his home so Grandson put it up for sale to liquidate his Dad's things before the bank foreclosed on the house. I saw it on Craigslist and scooped it up for a multi-year restoration and here we are.     

Edited by gpd294 - 08-September-2017 at 2:36AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 6:32AM
OK now i got, originally ordered as an S code but never built, changed to N code which is nice  
now upgraded to CJ+

if the guy wanted to stay original forever he should've crated it up in a garage with no door LOL

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-September-2017 at 6:33AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 3:43PM
Originally posted by TorinoMan TorinoMan wrote:

I lived in Ottawa during the 70's, that's where the old iron got into my blood.
Did your dad order the rear window defrost? My GTS has that option. 

My dad actually live in Ottawa in the late 70's early 80's.  So my Torino was around that area then.  Yes, he ordered the rear defrost, and it still works fine too. 

You should get a Marti Report on your car if you haven't.  The N-code 429 cars are the rarest '72 GTS's by a long shot.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2017 at 11:02AM
Those Marti reports are cool, I wish they showed how many "N" code GTS's were sold just in Canada instead of bunching the numbers with USA.

Edited by TorinoMan - 13-September-2017 at 11:04AM
AgentCooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2017 at 3:35PM
My 75 Gran Torino belongs to my uncle, who buy it new in the US. He came back to Chile around 1977 and bring the car with him. He sold the car to my father and was the "family car" for over 15 years. Then my sister used it to go to university and then I used it for around 4 years. In 2009, when I was on vacations, my mother sold the car (she never like it). I search it for 8 years and in march of this year, I finally found it. Now is mine and Im working on it trying to make it looks like new. In Chile there are only a few Gran Torinos.

Sorry for my english
The owls are not what they seem
TorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2017 at 6:04AM
Originally posted by AgentCooper AgentCooper wrote:

My 75 Gran Torino belongs to my uncle, who buy it new in the US. He came back to Chile around 1977 and bring the car with him. He sold the car to my father and was the "family car" for over 15 years. Then my sister used it to go to university and then I used it for around 4 years. In 2009, when I was on vacations, my mother sold the car (she never like it). I search it for 8 years and in march of this year, I finally found it. Now is mine and Im working on it trying to make it looks like new. In Chile there are only a few Gran Torinos.

Sorry for my english

Eight years, wow! How did you find it?
mark harper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark harper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2017 at 6:48AM
I am the 2nd owner of my 72 GTS. This car was ordered and purchased in Fairhope Alabama where it stayed until 1990 then it was placed in a garage in Ohio. There it sat until I found it in 2005. The wiring harness, seats, insulation and carpet were redesigned by mice. I bought the GTS from the original owner and he has been thrilled with the restoration that I did. I met up with him in 2014 so he could drive it another time. He says he wants to be the first one I call if I ever decide to sell it.
 Post Reply Post Reply