The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanting to convert to a floor shift C4 auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to convert to a floor shift C4 auto
    Posted: 21-October-2017 at 9:37PM
Been looking, and for my budget it is looking like the B&M QuickSilver is the only one with everything I need (reverse lock out, lighted indicator, backup and neutral switches) that I can stand the looks of.  The Hammer shifter is close, but I think it looks a little too plastic. Same with the Mega shifter. The funny thing is I used to love the Z Gate, guess I have gotten old. Shocked

I liked the Lokar stuff, until I figured out that I would have to pay a LOTDisapprove extra for things like the indicator, indicator sensor, boot, etc. That puts them way way way out of my budget.

I keep hoping I can find a used shifter on CL or a swap meet, but given the prices I have seen buying new just seems to make more sense.

I was wondering what others have done. I would not be against converting to a factory setup either, but I don't think that I could do that with my $300 or less budget.

For the column I will just cut off the shift lever mount and jbweld/bondo/somethine along those lines the left over holes. I will not be reusing any of the column shift linkage stuff.

Thanks,
Russ
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 8:58AM
maybe you'll like these / maybe you won't just throwin it out there

but being in AZ you should be able to find a complete set-up at the Pick-n-Pull or salvage yard?

i was kinda Disapprove the 1st time i saw / heard of bondo-ing up the tumbler bucket but it can be done pretty well especially compared to the alternative$
72 GT Ute

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 9:42AM
I converted both my Ranchero's from column shift to a factory floor shift set up. a donor car is nice but not necessary.
Parts needed: 1) floor shifter assembly ( it helps to get one from a car with the same type of trans your car has C4,C6 or FMX as the length of the lever on the bottom is different)
2) linkage from shifter to trans
3) trans lever ( the one on the transmission one for floor shift car is different from a column shift)
3) wiring harness (from shifter to under dash)
4) trans hump (mount under shifter same one as 4 spd)
5)  Steering column (you can modify yours if one is not avalible)
6) console (optional make sure you get all mounting hardware from donor)
7) bucket seats if going with console. 

Here is a list of cars you can get all the stuff you need to make this happen.

1) 72-76 Torino/montego
2) 72-79 ranchero
3) 74-76 elite
4) 74-79 Cougar
5) 77-79 T-bird

Hope you find this list helpful. take care Dan

yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 11:53AM
Ok Dan finally the answers I need. I have a shifter from a c6 car. Mine has a C4. Can I use this shifter? Also what is different about the rod from the shifter to trans. I need the lever that comes out of the trans.

Edited by yellowsportwagon - 22-October-2017 at 11:54AM
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 11:56AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Ok Dan finally the answers I need. I have a shifter from a c6 car. Mine has a C4. Can I use this shifter? Also what is different about the rod from the shifter to trans. I need the lever that comes out of the trans.

Shifter should be the same. The difference is the length of the rod that connects the shifter to the trans arm for each type of trans. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 12:20PM
the length of the throw can be / probably is different also, IIRC Dan ran into this on one of his

by length of throw i mean where the hole for the rod is on the shifter linkage arm

every trans is different
72 GT Ute

tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 12:34PM
I have a full  ford torino floor shifter set up t handle wiring and hump in very good condition, though
the indictor plastic plate has a crack. I bought it on ebay thinking I needed the wiring for my aod conversion, but didn't use any of it. p.m for details if your interested it would be well within your budget
tj

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 12:47PM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

The rod that goes from the shifter to the trans is adjustable. I have always made one from flat stock. I am going to post a few photos of what I did to make my shifter work. 

In this photo you can see the original trans lever for the cable needed for the column shifter. The silver piece i made to simulate the shape of the lever used for the floor shift set up. 

The next photo shows the shift lever from the bottom and some of these are longer and some are shorter depending on the application (trans set up) To answer your question can you make it work the answer is yes, but you will need to fab up your own linkage bars and play with the throw to have the shifter line up right with the gear your trans will be in. take notice of the slotted hole in the flat stock that is for adjustment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 1:09PM
That's a good idea on the trans lever.you don't have a drawing of that do you? I'll bet I can shorten the rod I have if need be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2017 at 10:57AM
Dan Wessman sent me a actual size photo of the part. I traced on a piece of graph paper cut it out. then laid it over the metal and traced it again. That is what i ended up with never thought about keeping the cut outs. I will  look though and see if I have anything.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2017 at 3:10PM
See what you have but I guess I should at least look for the right shifter.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2017 at 4:00PM
so the shift lever is out of phase between a floor shifted tranny and a cable shifted tranny?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2017 at 9:44PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

so the shift lever is out of phase between a floor shifted tranny and a cable shifted tranny?

Yes, the throw ( length of lever)  is different.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2017 at 12:19PM
Some of these shifters were used with a cable-shift.
May be easier to adapt one of those...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2017 at 4:50PM
i was just wondering my buddy dave has a c-6 column shift and we are going to swap everything from a c-6 floor shifted car into his, all torino stuff but just thinking ahead Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2017 at 6:49PM
I would have thought the shifter itself would have been the same for all the transmissions. Just different rods to account for different trans lengths. But I guess I thought wrong.
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 8:28PM
I may have stumbled onto a shifter that will work for me.

It doesn't have a lighted indicator, but does have everything else.
https://www.amazon.com/TCI-616541-FAST-GATE-Shifter/dp/B005AU61HG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Will do some more looking around, but for the price this seems to be the one for me at this time. The reviews on Amazon are mixed. Any thoughts here on this one?

Thanks,
Russ
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 12:21AM
Quarter stick
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
 Post Reply Post Reply