The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help - Gas vapor odor, gurgling & leaking sound
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Gas vapor odor, gurgling & leaking sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - Gas vapor odor, gurgling & leaking sound
    Posted: 26-October-2017 at 3:16AM
All,
Looking again to your experience and expertise. My 72 GTS has been running great since it came out of hibernation in the Spring. However, this past weekend – I parked the car in the driveway after a 100 mile round trip (during which the temp gauge was perfect and nothing was amiss) – after I shut the car off, I got out and heard a “gurgling” sound coming from under the hood. I thought, “never heard that before” – let the car sit a couple hours outside to cool down before pulling into the garage. Started it, pulled in and shut it off. Then I heard the sound again, followed by a “leaking” sound – I quickly grabbed a high-intensity light and looked under the car and didn’t see anything leaking. Next morning, I come out to a garage that smells like gasoline vapor. I did a walk around, and the odor is coming from under the hood. (i.e. definitely not the tank area) – I took the car out for a couple miles around the neighborhood, started and drove fine. Brought it back and parked it again, shut off and heard the same “leaking” sound (no other way to put it, almost sounded like a urine stream that started off strong and slowed to a trickle before stopping) – again, I didn’t see anything under the car. Opened the hood to look for any wet spots, and didn’t see anything. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? And since there is nothing visible, would that indicate that the root cause is internal to the engine, carb, or some other component? Car continues to drive fine on limited test runs, but the gas vapor in the garage is an issue – and I don’t want to continue driving if a potentially dangerous situation exists or if some engine damage is imminent. Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!
351C, with an Edelbrock 4-barrel intake and a Holley 625 CFM carb

Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 12:43PM
This is a possibility to what your car is doing. Have you been experiencing warm temperatures for this time of year? Winter gas came out for your area in late September. Winter gas has additives that lower the evaporation point of gas to compensate for the lower winter temperatures. The EPA and SAE was studying changing when summer and winter gas comes out because of changing weather patterns. The way politics has gone who knows if the study is still going on?
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 1:52PM
Interesting; I'm outside of Philly and it was 80+ degrees as recently as last weekend. Hence, it's almost the end of October and I'm still enjoying my drive time with the windows down. As a side note, I do use Sta-bil 360 with every fill up - it indicates that it protects from the harmful effects of ethanol, but I'm not sure what additive(s) would go into "winter gas" and what impact that might have. I haven't started the car now for more than 48 hours; and I'm still noticing the odor emanating from under the hood and the garage still smells. Any carb boil would have dissipated by now, that was a lesson I learned as a new owner; I was coming home after a long drive and pulling right into the garage. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 3:29PM
after you hear this have you tried to restart the car after a few minutes like 10 mins? and does it start right up? or act like it's flooded???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 4:43PM
Yes, I'm getting the same result whether the car sat for 24 hours or 10-15 minutes (tried both); it turns right over, all very normal. Definitely not flooded, and I'm able to take off and drive with no issues. I had the rubber lines replaced with nicop back in May because I was getting some of the same smell in the garage earlier in the year. But between May and now - absolutely no smell, not even a faint odor - the nicop resolved it. That's why I'm trying to think of where this sound and smell might be coming from? My first instinct was the carb; based on where the odor is most noticeable (near the non-functional hood scoops - they're not closed off, but have the grills) and the sound coming from the same general area.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2017 at 7:28PM
The additive is Butane.
 Post Reply Post Reply