The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shock recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shock recommendations
    Posted: 30-October-2017 at 12:37AM
I had installed some cheap Monroe shocks on my Montego wagon when I rebuilt the front suspension and installed the 1 1/2" lowering springs.  They need replacing.

I've read through some old threads.  Looks like the Bilsteins are popular, but I'm not sure how well they'll work and hold up on a car that's been lowered.  Looking on Rock Auto, it says "For Stock Ride Height".  They're also about 3x more expensive than any other option.  We're talking $400 for a set of shocks.

Also, I'm looking more for comfort than for handling.  I lowered the front for looks, not for handling.  We're talking about a station wagon, here.  ;)

Has anyone had any experience and can make any recommendations?

Also, I never got around to replacing the rear shocks.  They're still the air shocks that were on it, when I bought it.  I think the original owner would air it up when he would use it for towing.  I'd like to replace them.  One thing I've noticed is how much the wagon settles and squats, in the rear, when we load the family or friends up in the wagon.  I noticed some Monroe Load Adjusting shocks on Rock Auto.  This sounds like a good option.  They've got a spring on them.  My concern with these is they might raise the rear of my wagon more than it currently sits with that spring on the shock.  I don't want that.  I've got my ride height exactly where I want it.  Any input or experience? 

Also, any input on mixing shocks, front vs rear.  Can I use a pair of Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks on the rear, and some different brand/model shocks on the front?
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 2:09AM
Jeff,
 I run KYB Gas-a-just's #KG4515 on the front and an older set of gas charged Gabriel's on the rear, been pretty satisfied with the ride considering I lowered it a good bit which raised the spring rate substantially. I will go to rear KYB's if the Gabriel's go bad/leak.  I have heard Bilstein's are a top of the line shock, but also heard a few reviews of harsh ride issues, but that could be due to a custom/heavily modified application.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 5:26AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Jeff,
 I run KYB Gas-a-just's #KG4515 on the front and an older set of gas charged Gabriel's on the rear, been pretty satisfied with the ride considering I lowered it a good bit which raised the spring rate substantially. I will go to rear KYB's if the Gabriel's go bad/leak.  I have heard Bilstein's are a top of the line shock, but also heard a few reviews of harsh ride issues, but that could be due to a custom/heavily modified application.

Thanks Todd.  I saw those listed under the "Performance" option on Rock Auto, and thought they looked interesting. 

One thing I don't want is a harsh ride.  I'm too old for that $hit.  :)
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 5:28AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Jeff,

Thanks Todd.  I saw those listed under the "Performance" option on Rock Auto, and thought they looked interesting. 

One thing I don't want is a harsh ride.  I'm too old for that $hit.  :)

get the kyb excel g's, just put some on mine, great ride and road manners.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 7:41AM
compare prices  / shipping here

i hate to say it but R-A doesn't always have the best $
72 GT Ute

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 9:49AM
I have run the KYBs on the cougar and the torino, and I really like them. The ride quality is very comfortable, and the monotube design runs cooler.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 12:40PM
If you don't want any ride harshness, I'd stay away from Bilstiens.  They definitely offer awesome control but at the expense of some ride comfort.  They do offer a "comfort" Bilstien shock, but I can't comment on how good they are, and they are still twice the price of KYB's.  Based on what you're saying, I'd go for KYB's.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 11:23PM
Thanks everyone.  Looks like KYB is the way to go.  Hopefully the rears will support the extra weight when we load the wagon up with people.  I did research the Monroe Load Adjusting shocks, and there were several reviews that they raised the rear an inch.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2017 at 11:49PM
Jeff,
 Just a "heads up", Autozone is running a special right now, buy 4 "qualifying" KYB's and get a $25 VISA gift card. May save some aggravation and the wait time by purchasing from your local AZ.

Edited by aquartlow - 31-October-2017 at 11:50PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2017 at 3:14AM

Jeff,
 Just a "heads up", Autozone is running a special right now, buy 4 "qualifying" KYB's and get a $25 VISA gift card. May save some aggravation and the wait time by purchasing from your local AZ.

Thanks Todd.  Unfortunately AutoZone's prices are outrageous, over twice the price.  RockAuto's price on the 4 shocks, with shipping, is $142.35.  AutoZone's price on the same four shocks, before shipping and taxes, is $295.96.  There's probably a 15% discount somewhere, but still....

So far, shopping around at Amazon, shockwarehouse.com, etc, rockauto has the best price.

Thanks for looking out for me.  I appreciate it!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2017 at 3:32AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Jeff,

Thanks Todd.  Unfortunately AutoZone's prices are outrageous, over twice the price.  RockAuto's price on the 4 shocks, with shipping, is $142.35.  AutoZone's price on the same four shocks, before shipping and taxes, is $295.96.  There's probably a 15% discount somewhere, but still....

So far, shopping around at Amazon, shockwarehouse.com, etc, rockauto has the best price.

Thanks for looking out for me.  I appreciate it!

Yeah, that is quite the markup. I was on AZ website looking for a steering gear for my SD when I came across the "deal"(not so much) on KYB's. The only issue I have with Rockauto is that when I order more than 2 parts, they never come from the same warehouse(so THEY say). Good luck.

ninoford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninoford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 4:54PM
I had the kyb shocks on my 72 ranchero but wasn't to impressed with them. I just replaced them with the QA1 single adjustable shocks. Night and day difference, and worth every penny. Handles awesome now! The rear springs are lowered 2 inches and 25% stiffer than the stock ones. Up front I have the crown vic police springs with one coil cut off. I would recommend at least putting them in the rear of your wagon because of the weight. You can always adjust if more people jump in!
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 4:33PM
I run KYBs all around on my 75 chero and they are very nice, I also run them on my Toyota pickup, as far as I'm concerned, they're the best bang for the buck.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2019 at 2:18PM
I have the older Bilstein's and I don't think they are uncomfortable but my car is so uncomfortable in general it might be masking the suspension uncomfortableness. I don't think there is an off the shelf shock out there that provides both stability and comfort to match a modern car. The Bilstein's are designed to fit a long list of cars of different weights with wheel rates and roll rates and tires and so on. I would still recommend them though. They are a top quality part, that bolt on with minimal effort. That it worth it alone.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply