The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi all! Introduction and question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi all! Introduction and question...
    Posted: 02-November-2017 at 6:44AM
Hi all, My name is Scott, and my wife and I are the owners of a 72 Lincoln Mark IV. I do understand that this is a Torino page, but just by googling, I've seen some helpful information.

What we got is a really clean 72 Mark IV, but I'm in dire need of help, brake rotor related.
The car has passed a few hands through the years, and some people have changed (read: messed up) a few things on this car. Namely, the front rotors. Well, at least one. When we got the car, it had a really goofy left front rotor, and after an extensive search, I'm coming up empty handed. I know the number from Raybestos is 6028R, but cannot find any for sale. Anyone have some insight?

Thanks!!
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 7:53AM
Welcome!

Here are some at NAPA, but they are kinda pricey!

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72LincolnAbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 8:03AM
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I've tried to acquire those rotors, nobody has them. I have 72 Torino rotors on there now, but the don't sit in far enough. I'll be able to get about 1000 miles outta those rotors, then the inboard pads will fall out :/
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 10:17PM
something odd is going on...
72 Torino rotor fits the same spindle as 72 Mark IV, Thunderbird.
There is a bracket that moves the caliper about a half inch further out, but the side-to-side is identical.
If I was to hazard a guess, I would suspect someone swapped 68-71 Thunderbird or fullsize thru 72 parts in. Either spindle or rotor is wrong part.

Welcome, by the way and this is not a bad place to look for information. Torino and Mark IV, Thunderbird are variants of the same chassis, and a lot of parts are identical.

Edited by Big Bird - 02-November-2017 at 10:19PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2017 at 11:59PM
This car has been messed with alot, it was originally white, now black, the vinyl top is gone, and a whole host of other "modifications."

If I had any knowledge of FoMoCo stuff, this may not be so difficult, but alas, I'm a GM guy myself. The movement of the bracket would be an easy fix if it weren't for that third bolt that goes down into the spindle. All I'd need to do is move the caliper out about a quarter inch, and I'd be ok. 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 7:21AM
Bracket fits in one spot, one way...
Can you post a picture?
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 7:53AM
I cannot, the car is at my wifes work, currently getting a shopping list of things fixed. The brackets are in correctly, it's the wrong rotor for the car. It's almost as if the surface part of the rotor (where the pads contact) needs to be moved in about a quarter of an inch. That's about the best way I can explain it at the moment. The one good rotor we had on it fits properly, it's an original 72 part. The car has low miles, but they both still need replacing.

Centric shows a number of 120.61025 that crosses from the raybestos 6028r, and I can get them, but at $120 something a pop, I can't swing it right now
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 8:40AM
That's what I was trying to figure out, whether someone swapped your rotor or a spindle. if the rotors are different side-to-side, that's the problem.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 11:25AM
Welcome!

Have you ever pulled the Rotors off to compare them side by side?  It's not that much work.  If you do that you could also check the spindles and take a few measurements to make sure they are the same too.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 2:33PM
3rd bolt through the spindle, wtf? i swapped 75/77 mark IV brackets and rotors to my  74 torino i only had 2 bolts??? easy swap! 72's must be way different Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 2:01AM
basics at play here are that there are different spindles, brackets and rotors that will all fit the car but not play well with each other in mixed combinations

'1972 spindles' have smaller outer bearings IIRC and the inner bearing is the same as '1974 spindles'

1973 was a year of change so cars could be either 72 or 74 style

'big rotors' are around 11.8" diameter, 'small rotors' are around 10.8"

2 sizes of caliper brackets to match the rotor diameter either 'big' or 'small'

inboard splash shields as i understand are only 1 size

=================

Originally posted by 72LincolnAbe 72LincolnAbe wrote:

... It's almost as if the surface part of the rotor (where the pads contact) needs to be moved in about a quarter of an inch ...

moved 'in' how, like if the rotor was smaller diameter? 

or as if the rotor is not on the spindle far enough?

i'd definitely compare the caliper brackets off the car / in hand, measure the rotor diameters,
and find some way to compare the spindles even if you have to pull them off the car to compare them side by side like the caliper brackets. we've even heard of cars with the wrong bearings for the spindles so measure the inner & outer spindle diameters where the bearings fit & dry fit the bearings to the spindles also!

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2017 at 2:23AM
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 3:25AM
Even more choices than you think
Possibility of a wrong spindle or rotor from:
-72 and earlier fullsize
-67-71 Thunderbird/Mark III
-"Kennedy" Town car ?

That 3rd bolt in the caliper makes me wonder. There were a few "one year only" schemes in the 60s...
Don't think it's a big bearing rotor cobbled on, because 12" rotors with big bearings were all big bolt pattern and the wheels would not fit. Incorrect backspace makes me think early fullsize parts mixed in.

Or, wrong wheel bearings...

Edited by Big Bird - 04-November-2017 at 3:26AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 5:22AM
72 Thunderbird & Torino Police use a big rotor 5-4.5, pretty sure that's the 6028 rotor mentioned in the 1st post

and FWIW at $120 a pop there are none to be had

i say tear it down get numbers off the parts & post side by side pics, chances are somebody has something to correct the mismatch or can source it from the yard like Cal Johnny
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 5:43AM
yes i may be able too? there are several lincolns at that private yard, i need to get back up there soon Wink but having 4 parts cars now of my own have kept be pretty busy Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 6:01AM
yup Rockauto shows the rear drum bolt circle 5-4.5
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4552740&cc=1188187&jsn=426

and they're not even listing the front rotor, O'Reilly's doesn't list one, Advance lists a late model 2 piece for a late model mopar?
the only listing i believe is the correct rotor is NAPA & she's a real beauty at $180 https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NB_4885540

put that number into Rockauto & No Matches Found

Webb Wheel Interchange comes up with nothing http://webbwheel.com/interchange.php

I'm starting to understand why there might be goofy parts on the LincolnAbe-mobile

"For you fans of the '72 Lincoln Mark IV, you can contact Frank Lerner at Mark IV Designs for new and used parts for most models
from 1972-'89; however, Frank's specialty is 1972."

maybe Frank has a go-to swap using AVAILABLE parts?

Mark IV Designs
18253 N. 42nd Place
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
602-992-6699

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2017 at 6:04AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 6:21AM
6028R cross references to NB 4885540

same rotor for 1972 Thunderbird which also no longer pulls up at all on Rockauto Angry

F'n Censored beep CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored beep CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored beep beep CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

i'll drill a 5-4.5 pattern by hand before i pay $400 for a pair of rotors Wink

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 6:37AM

Raybestos 6040R / equivalent is an 11.8" diameter 5-5" big bearing (late spindle) rotor

but cheaper elsewhere

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2017 at 7:11AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 6:59AM

so OK i called Frank, no website, he says he may have a set of rotors deep under the bench ...

then i got to thinking what does the big 1972 Lincoln use for rotors?

Raybestos 6014R, large diameter 5-4.5 but how does the 4.525" height compare to 6028R? 

Outside Diameter:11.72
Overall Height:4.525
Number of Bolts/Holes:5
Bolt Circle:4.5
Discard Thickness:1.12
Vented or Solid:Vented
Mounting Type:J
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 6014, F6014

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2017 at 7:21AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 7:23AM
Uh-Oh. 6028R is 4.81" and 6040R they say is 4.829"
4.81" - 4.525" = .285" just a little more than Scott's 1/4"
could be a big body Continental rotor on the car? or a Continental caliper bracket or spindle?

Outside Diameter:11.8
Overall Height:4.829
Number of Bolts/Holes:5
Bolt Circle:5
Discard Thickness:1.12
Vented or Solid:Vented
Mounting Type:J

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2017 at 7:35AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 8:29AM
i wouldn't recommend hand drilling a rotor, any competent machine shop can do it!! if not mosier engineering can do it! i had them redrill some axles for me years ago they did a top notch job Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 10:46AM
HaHa i'll use pop's old Black & Decker with the brushes blowing flames out the sides LOL

i figure using a hub-centric wheel and a transfer punch one at a time will locate them as good as anything,
tired of paying people (local) to screw it up for me

and it's an excuse to get the drill press up & running, i'll probably drill the discs too 

sometimes ya gotta pee with the Censored ya got Shocked

come to think of it this guy's just a yodel or 2 north of you in BC, check him out!

72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 1:33PM
After poking around on the interwebs at galaxie swaps, it seems that the 71-72 fullsize rotor will install on the small bearing 72 spindle, but the rotor face is almost 3/8" further outboard.
Later 72-79 intermediate, 73-78 fullsize "partsbin" setup pushes the rotor further inboard on the hub to allow caliper clearance on the small rotor and 14" wheels.
Nobody local has rotors for 72 Thunderbird/Mark IV, pretty much an obsolete part. I doubt Ford/Lincoln made 50,000 Tbirds/Marks in 72 combined, so probably minimal demand for rotors at this time.
Another scary thought, Granada rotors apparently fit the small bearing spindles but also misalign the rotor surface. Small 11" rotor though.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 3:49PM
Kanter lists the 72 Tbird/Mk IV rotors on this page
https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Ford&MakeYear=1972&CategoryID=6&ProductCode=35&Router=Catalog
You have to scroll down a fair bit.
I'm hoping this listing is for real, or else my plans for the 12 inch brake swap will have to make a major change.
Russ
Brake Drum or Rotor 1972-1972 Ford Thunderbird
Front disc
04016R BD 6028 $123.00
per each

Edited by russosborne - 04-November-2017 at 3:50PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 1:30PM
Originally posted by 72LincolnAbe 72LincolnAbe wrote:

It's almost as if the surface part of the rotor (where the pads contact) needs to be moved in about a quarter of an inch.
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

After poking around on the interwebs at galaxie swaps, it seems that the 71-72 fullsize rotor will install on the small bearing 72 spindle, but the rotor face is almost 3/8" further outboard.

Based on what the OP is saying and what Randy is saying, it sounds like the one side of the car may have a 71-72 Fullsize Rotor. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 1:03AM
Well, when we got the car back, it had a completely wrong one on the left front, the bolt pattern was correct, but had to find a junk newer wheel and tire to fit over the hub. No idea what that was from

Edited by 72LincolnAbe - 06-November-2017 at 1:08AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 1:16AM
Wow! Lots of responses! Thanks so much! What Big Bird said is absolutely what the problem is, and I believe the 6014 rotors are what we were sold, the full size stuff for later cars. I'm curious if any of you have a used one for sale? I still have one that can be cut, lots of meat on it. I'm kinda getting tired of beating my head on the desk trying to find a good one. I'm paypal ready if someone has one with life left in it!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 2:33AM
there is a place in florida that sells used parts lincoln only i don't recall the name. i ran across them searching for mark 4 disc brakes on the internet
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 3:07AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

there is a place in florida that sells used parts lincoln only i don't recall the name. i ran across them searching for mark 4 disc brakes on the internet

If you come across it again, let me know!
qcode72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 3:12AM
Lincoln land Clearwater fl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 4:14AM
I did see them before, seemed a little pricey... :/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>