The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi all! Introduction and question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 7:28AM
like i said Frank thinks he has a pair, i didn't get to what he wants for them because used rotors across the continent  ... IDK ...

Mark IV Designs
18253 N. 42nd Place
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
602-992-6699

between the asking price & consumer shipping i'll bet you can get a new one for not much more
72 GT Ute

72LincolnAbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 8:49AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

like i said Frank thinks he has a pair, i didn't get to what he wants for them because used rotors across the continent  ... IDK ...

Mark IV Designs
18253 N. 42nd Place
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
602-992-6699

between the asking price & consumer shipping i'll bet you can get a new one for not much more

I sure wish I could get my hands on a new one! That right there is my biggest problem Unhappy
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 10:11AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 5:00PM
Originally posted by qcode72 qcode72 wrote:

Lincoln land Clearwater fl.
that's it!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2017 at 2:18AM
Ok, I called Lincoln land, they are going to call me back, so fingers crossed. That Kanter place showed one online, but when I called to check availability, the price about doubled for some reason.....
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2017 at 10:13PM
There is a car like yours for sale with no engine for $650.00. The seller needs to get it off his property as soon as possible. I will take a guess and say that if he cannot sell the car soon it is probably going to go to a scrap yard. Maybe you can call him and ask him about the condition of the front rotors and then purchase the rotor from him or the scrap yard. Some scrap yards will sell the rotor for only $20.00 or $30.00. I do not know the seller and I did not talk to him.

Edited by dave302 - 08-November-2017 at 8:04AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2017 at 2:23AM
Thanks! I did get a rotor coming from a place in Cleveland, it was a bit rusty, but my guy thinks it's salvageable. I'd have loved to grab a parts car, but being in Michigan, would have cost an arm and leg to get it here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 3:25AM
So! An update of sorts....   The rotor I got did clean up well enough to use, still way over spec on thickness, and worked like a charm. But! Always a but, right? The rotor we thought was right for the car, sadly, is not. It's far closer than the wrong pair I had, but the dust cap that was on it was rotten, and now we are having trouble finding one to properly fit. We got a cap that was a hair to small, welded a small bead around it, and ground it down to fit tight, so I think we're ok there. Grease seal on the back seems to be a little tight on the spindle shaft, but if noting else, it'll wear itself down to close enough.

I really thank you all for the help, and with maybe just a little luck, I can find one more rotor.

On a side note, I don't think I've ever ran across such a situation that so many rotors would "fit" but not be right. I know GM was a little forgiving on swap and cross vehicle swap, but they had issues too.

Time to find another rotor.... Thumbs Up
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 10:47AM
Easy answer would be to swap to a 74-79 spindle and get a fullsize73-78 rotor drilled to the correct pattern. Probably cheaper and yield a better result that tracking down a user, very limited production rotor, having it turned.
If I were in the same spot, I might consider getting newer spindles/rotors, a 73-76 drum brake rear, and the wheels that go along with them. If you are running hubcaps, it's an invisible swap.
As far as G.M. goes, try finding rotors for a 78 Malibu or Monte Carlo or any of the other 78 A bodies. Another "one year only" special.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72LincolnAbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 9:37AM
Agree there! I have an 86 Cutlass and I hear stories about them 78 cars alot!
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2017 at 6:19PM
I did not know the 78 G bodies were such a PITA! I actually redid one back in the early 90's. My wife loved driving that car.

I parked it next to a white 79 that looked just like mine before it was redone.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 2:04AM
Great cars, just a lot of "First Year" weirdness, like the 72 Torino chassis cars have.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 6:43AM
Cool Cutlass Chuck.  My brother used to have an '86 that was a ton of fun.  It had the F41 suspension so it handled really well.  Being a Canadian car it has more powerful LG4 305 instead of the 307 US market cars got.  We added true duals (it was REALLY loud) and tweak the ignition.  It ran pretty strong for a smogger 305.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 9:24AM
i got a 305 in my truck, it runs pretty good for a 305 (compcams 280 cam, crane lifters,holley 4bbl, edelbrock manifold and cam dynamics rollers Wink)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12