The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triton V10 '73 ranchero gt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triton V10 '73 ranchero gt
    Posted: 03-November-2017 at 6:30AM
Okay, so I am new to this forum but you guys seem to have lots of very good info. I have a 1973 ranchero gt that when I bought it, was basically 100% original. I wanted to keep it that way but then the small block 400 that was in it stopped making proper oil pressure. The engine was simply very worn out and needed a full rebuild. At the time, I didn't want to spend that much on the car so I found a replacement engine on Craigslist. It happened to be a 1991 460 efi with a full wiring harness and everything for $75. Could not pass it up. It runs so well and it is very fast. Could not have asked for that swap to go any better. When I bought that engine though, I really actually wanted to do a Triton V10. I couldn't find a cheap one until late last year. I now have a complete V10 with wiring harness and everything. If I'm going to do the swap, it has to be manual. I'm looking for some opinions on manuals for modular engines (hopefully something I can get at a junkyard) and maybe a front suspension. Has anyone put a crown Vic front end in one of these chassis? Thanks for any opinions, they are appreciated seeing as I am 20 years old and just getting into fabrication.
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 10:08AM
Welcome to the forum! 

There are a few modular Ford engine projects going on in the Torino world. If you do some google searching and searching here, you'll come across some. 

There is a guy who put a 4.6 SOHC in one, using the front frame clip from a crown vic.

There is another guy who is grafting his Torino upper body, to a Crown Vic lower body and chassis. 

I personally, am doing a Coyote 5.0, and using all the stock frame. 

There is also Project Breathless, which is a completed car that has a 4.6 DOHC Terminator motor in it. 

The V10 would be a neat project. I did a V10 in a Grand Marquis for a customer years ago. It's not the best engine for performance, but it does look pretty cool when you pop the hood. It's literally a 5.4 with two extra cylinders. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 11:27AM
Welcome to the site!  Sal pretty much covered the mods people have done here.  I don't know of anyone using the V10 on a Torino.  It'd be a neat swap, but I agree with Sal it's not the best engine for performance.  It sure would be a show stopper though.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 2:55PM
sounds cool Big smile i saw a mustang II on the internet with a v-10 in it Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 3:07AM
2003 Crown Vic wheelbase 114.7"

1973 Ranchero wheelbase  118"

from what I've seen from project threads the frames very close width-wise like within 1"

i liked the idea of using the CV firewall, dash & floors to do a resto-mod thing

personally i'd use the complete CV chassis and shorten the bed before the rear tire to adjust W/B  
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 3:29AM
Or, use a town car chassis, with the longer wheelbase.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 3:38AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Or, use a town car chassis, with the longer wheelbase.

Yep....third gen Town Car is 117.7" wheel base Big smile
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2017 at 5:17AM
Crown Vic 'cab' Long Wheel Base with the longer rear doors 120.7"
would need a cut for custom fit, the whole thing kinda centers on the front spindle to firewall dimension

72 GT Ute

wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 2:43AM
I don't exactly want to do a full on frame swap or cut up the body of my ranchero because it's fairly decent and I don't have the time, money, equipment or skills to do that properly. I am either going to build some motor mounts for the V10 to go in the current crossmember and make a rack and pinion system for it or do the crown Vic front crossmember and suspension and then the V10 should just bolt up. Does anyone know what manual trans would handle the V10? I'd really like to get something from a junkyard if I can

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 6:20AM

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/tremec_tko.htm

your V-10 makes 462 tq, T5, T56, TR3550, TR3650 don't stand a chance long term
TKO500 handles the TQ, the TKO600 & TR6060 (T56 Magnum) are overkill but if you come across one for the right $ ...

do you know an insurance underwriter?

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-November-2017 at 6:40AM
72 GT Ute

wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2017 at 7:05AM
I have been looking for a tko 500 and hopefully I can find one. I don't know an insurance underwriter, no.
geno8769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geno8769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2017 at 4:46AM
Keep posting on this. I have a 71 Mercury Monterey Wagon, and I have been toying with the idea of replacing the 429 with a V10.

Its definitely a cool idea. Where did you find your V10 and wiring harness?

1973 GTS "Q" Motor
2019 F250 CC 6.7 4x4 STX

https://www.youtube.com/user/geno8769
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 2:08AM
I found my v10 in a truck that my brother bought for $1000 and took the plow and bracket off it. He said of I helped him with the plow, he would let me take whatever parts off the truck I wanted. I got the entire wiring harness and ecu basically for free with the engine. It has a lot of miles on it but I can always rebuild it.
geno8769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geno8769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 2:24AM
That is a good deal...
1973 GTS "Q" Motor
2019 F250 CC 6.7 4x4 STX

https://www.youtube.com/user/geno8769
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 12:38PM
Ya, it was a really good deal, it only took like the entire day to get the engine and trans out.
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 1:18AM
So this thread is a bit old but I have an update now. Over this last weekend, I drove a little way and got a transmission. I found a 5 speed tr3650 out of an 04 mustang. This will bolt to the v10 and should not have an issue with the torque of that engine. I have started stripping the engine down for paint and gaskets. I have also started cutting down the harness. I think that the exhaust manifolds should fit fine, I have to make some engine mounts, a transmission mount, and I have to install a clutch pedal. I'm also thinking about mounting up a steering rack while the engine is out to free up some space where that huge steering box is. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do any of that or if I'm missing anything important, that would be greatly appreciated.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:16AM
Please keep us posted on this! Sounds like a fantastic project. The ranchero and wagons use similar frames and are the same length, if I recall.

I have some interest in this, as I have not installed my 5.0/ 5 speed drivetrain in the red wagon yet and am still open for ideas...

Edited by unlovedford - 12-February-2018 at 2:17AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 3:22AM
That's really awesome, I will definitely keep this thread updated with pictures and everything. Are you doing a small block 5.0 with a t5 trans? I know you can get a lot of power out of those and they're pretty light and small. I thought about the small block option but I really wanted something different and modern. I love the way the V10 sounds, it's pretty amazing. Besides that, it will work well when I want to tow something and it will get decent mpg and it is a great challenge for me. I really like that wagon, it's a '72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 4:10PM
Thanks. It is a '72 Base Torino wagon. Yes, the plan was/is to install a stroker 5.0 that I have been building in my spare time. It will be hooked to a T5, and some good gears out back. This car has zero options (no PS, no PB, no radio, no A/C, etc) so it is a blank slate. It even had just a rubber mat, no carpet. The original owner ordered it that way with the 250 and 3 speed manual.

The Ford V-10 engines are pretty tough and do indeed make a cool sound. Also, the wow factor when you open the hood is a good bonus. If there was just a company that offered some polished aluminum valve covers for it, instead of the composite black ones.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2018 at 1:04AM
That is quite the base model, a 5.0 would be a really huge upgrade. That is a pretty nice canvas to kinda add whatever you want to it. And as for the v10, I could probably make a decent set of sheet metal valve covers or just smooth out the factory one and paint them to look like aluminum. I also have the intake all bead blasted and I'm going to paint it and it should look really good.
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2018 at 1:48AM
Seems this guy knows where to find some dress-up stuff;

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-1978-mustang-ii-worthy-of-our-affection/

Dig the intake...Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2018 at 3:09PM
That sounds like a great combo. The Ford Modular engines have so much aluminum on them, a good polishing would look awesome in the engine bay.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Mr.Vegasmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Vegasmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 5:18PM
New here and I have a 73 grand Torino Sport "Q"Code 4 speed car. I am considering such a swap. A GT500 Engine & Manual Transmission. But I haven't found a drawing of the size or everything. Have few concerns like the shifter location...hyd. clutch and the brake booster. I can handle the wiring and drive by wire and the programming and fuel system all OK. But will it fit? how far along are you?
I really want to know more and learn from you. Sounds like you do some swaps, I did a 5.0 Explorer 5.0 EFI with 4r70w and 8.8 in a 54 Ford Customline for a guy. Did all the wiring myself. (not a kit) added Rack & Pinion, P/B A/C turned out great. Please let me know more & Thanks Ronnie Maxwell West Texas Area
wwb3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwb3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 1:45PM
I have not gotten a whole lot further in my swap yet. The winter hit and im actually working on a 1988 thunderbird project that i really have to make run before i can disable my ranchero for a while. I only have one garage space at the moment. I have made some progress in the wiring. I actually got the motor running on the floor, Ill put a link to my video on that at the end. As far as the clutch and brake booster go, I am going to get a pedal set from a newer mustang. If the booster holes dont line up perfectly, i will drill them out a little bigger to make them fit. Then a hole in the dash for the clutch cable to go out through. Now im sure that you wouldnt have too much issue just mounting the hydraulic master cylinder where it would be on the GT500. If its not the right distance, the shaft is usually adjustable. As far as the shifter goes, I am also a little worried about placement. I measured on my car and it appears that the shifter will end up just a bit under the dash. This wouldnt be a problem if you use the 6 speed from the GT500 because those had an extended remote mount shifter to move them back. So i will let you know when i get moving along some more on the project. If you have any more questions, let me know. I have done tons of measuring and test fitting of different things on my car already. 

Mr.Vegasmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Vegasmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 2:40PM
Would like any information on the Coyote Engines in a Torino with stock frame if possible. And how it would fit in a Crown Vic Frame, 2011 & up Engines? Thanks for any info please reply.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 4:06AM
Originally posted by Mr.Vegasmax Mr.Vegasmax wrote:

Would like any information on the Coyote Engines in a Torino with stock frame if possible. And how it would fit in a Crown Vic Frame, 2011 & up Engines? Thanks for any info please reply.

We had one member, who is no longer active, start a Coyote swap.  See the thread here:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 12:07PM
As far as Crown Vics go, the engine should fit easily. Still a mod motor relative.
If the 5.4 and the DOHC Cobra motor fit, the 5.0 should as well.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply