The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Ranchero dash squeak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Ranchero dash squeak
    Posted: 02-December-2017 at 5:59AM
Just found this great Forum after a year plus on the Ranchero. I couldn't find this topic anywhere in the history. I have an annoying squeak at each end of the dash at the base of the "A" pillar, louder when the interior is cold, almost quiet when hot. Have lubed the upper door hinges and checked the bolts, sprayed silicone into the gap, bushed the remote mirror cable and stuffed rubber into the area. The squeak still occurs with the dash pad removed and the door ajar. I have run out of ideas and would appreciate any help!
Oh well, what the hell. McWatt
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2017 at 6:20AM
sounds like something plastic loose or rubbing. could be the side screws in the dash pad are loose or missing that go into the pad to the main dash, bezel rubbing against the dash, main dash surround loose to the body....???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2017 at 6:48AM
There are bolts in the upper corners of the dash at each end, attaches metal sub-assembly of dash to firewall, could need a bit of tightening. The A-pillar moldings may also cause a squeak due to the age/brittleness of the plastic, they have "returns" under the metal dash filler at each lower corner of the windshield. Make sure it isn't a loose upper front fender mount as well, those could transfer the noise to the interior. Just a couple "thoughts".
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Flieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 12:39PM
That's the kind of info I was seeking, thanks. The dash pad end screws are tight and the fender bolts also. It looks hard to reach the dash mounting bolts, especially the upper ones. I sprayed some WD40 up in there, but it still squeaked. Having removed the dash pad twice now, I wonder if a new set of clips might help when I pull it again to get to the dash mounts. I saw a source for the clips somewhere in the past week.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 12:47PM
check the screws underneath the bottom of the dash to the metal dash frame and maybe the center support rod in the middle, if that were loose the whole dash would vibrate Shocked just a few ideas...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 3:39PM
Center supports tend to get loose, installing aftermarket radios is easier if you unbolt them.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Flieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2017 at 4:51AM
I ordered some dash pad clips which need to be replaced but realized that since it still squeaked with the pad removed that wouldn't help. Could I get some more info on the molding "returns"? I removed the moldings (which were new) and trimmed and padded the lower ends with no help.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2017 at 5:35AM
The "returns" I spoke of are on the A-pillar trim, they go under the metal upper dash filler piece nearest the windshield. Sometimes they hang up on the metal filler when you try to remove the filler/dash pad assembly since the filler piece has a crimp/bend that almost bumps against the windshield, that crimp/bend sometimes hangs up on the A-pillar molding due to heat/sun light/age causing the plastic molding at the base of the windshield to turn upwards. **I hope I described that clearly enough, sometimes I confuse myself Embarrassed with part descriptions.**  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Flieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2017 at 7:30AM
OK, I know what you are referring to. My next process is to remove the dash pad again along with the pillar trim and see if it still squeaks and install the new clips. Also see if I can access the dash mounts at that time.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2017 at 3:27PM
another thing you could do is... with those pieces off drive the car to make it squeak, take your hand and push on different spots to see if it quits! retest the same area several times to confirm your on the right track Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Flieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 7:36AM
Yes, have already tried that. Dash pad off, door ajar, hand jammed into all of the corners etc. Had the pillar trim off to check tightness thereof but didn't drive it like that. Next try, Pad and trim removed. Now that the weather is cold it sounds off all the time. I realize the pad clips aren't the problem but they need changing anyway.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 7:46AM
don't forget that the metal dash to firewall brackets also screw / hold onto the plastic dash

IIRC i used some silly-con schmoo between the brackets & the plastic when i did mine

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 2:38PM
wonder if it could be the air ducts rattling back there???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply