The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dried interior plastic repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dried interior plastic repair?
    Posted: 01-January-2018 at 8:48AM
Has anyone come up with a good fix for plastic interior parts - like sport door panels, kick panels, and sail panels - that get gouges in the top layer of plastic over time? Any way to fill those area in before refinishing the panel?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2018 at 2:35PM
Sal, if you figure something out for this, please share it.  Short of having them redone by JustDashes, which would cost a small fortune, I don't know of any other way. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2018 at 2:47PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Sal, if you figure something out for this, please share it.  Short of having them redone by JustDashes, which would cost a small fortune, I don't know of any other way. 

Actually I may have found something! Well, my brother may have to be honest, lol. He talked to his local paint and restoration supplier today, and the guy said that SEM actually makes a texture spray. So you sand the part down, fill in the big gouges, and then spray the part with the texture spray. Then you shoot your color. He said if done right, it looks completely original. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2018 at 6:14PM
another idea i had on this very subject is could you sand off the loose degraded plastic, build back up with some sort of plastic epoxy and then lay a grained textured material over the top as it cures. when it dries you simply peel it up and leave the grained texture. They used to have a cheesy vinyl repair kit sold on tv years ago that was similar to this concept, but with time this should have improved greatly. I made a mold of the non skid pattern in a classic boston whalers floor and would use it as a pattern when i did gel/glass repairs in the non skid areas of whalers. when done right it was all but impossible to see the repaired area.

Edited by MrSmog - 06-January-2018 at 3:51AM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2018 at 7:56AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 3:13AM
Hmm, this seems like a good idea.  Sal if you end up trying this can you take pictures and post them here?  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 3:44AM

Hmm, this seems like a good idea.  Sal if you end up trying this can you take pictures and post them here?  

Yep, definitely. I might try the process on my interior sail panels first to see how it comes out. But I've been talking to some friends over on the Mustang II page who've done it, and they say it works awesome if you do it right. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 3:53AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Yep, definitely. I might try the process on my interior sail panels first to see how it comes out. But I've been talking to some friends over on the Mustang II page who've done it, and they say it works awesome if you do it right. 

I imagine it couldn't be a spot repair but you'd have to do the whole panel since the grain would be different then the faux leather grain the factory stuff has. Would look much better then the dried, scratched uv damaged plastic for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 4:20AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

I imagine it couldn't be a spot repair but you'd have to do the whole panel since the grain would be different then the faux leather grain the factory stuff has. Would look much better then the dried, scratched uv damaged plastic for sure.

SEM also sells a 6 pack of square grain swatches, in 6 different popular patterns. So if you had a piece that you wanted to try to repair instead of redo completely, that would make it easy to reproduce the pattern. I'm going to get that as well, to play with a bit. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

SEM also sells a 6 pack of square grain swatches, in 6 different popular patterns. So if you had a piece that you wanted to try to repair instead of redo completely, that would make it easy to reproduce the pattern. I'm going to get that as well, to play with a bit. 

didn't know they had that. I have used sem stuff a few times, always happy with the results. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply