The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW FRONT END

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW FRONT END
    Posted: 04-January-2018 at 5:58PM
Hey guys, I have a 72’ montego and am looking to rebuild the front end and am curious if you guys know any websites that sell front end components.(upper/lower control arms, steering components, suspension, ect.)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2018 at 6:14PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2018 at 8:26PM
energy suspension, summit, Rockauto, prothane ...

is the 72 Montego body on frame or unibody?

just asking because IIRC the Cougar was unibody in 72, could make cross referencing complicated
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 3:23AM
A 72 Montego is the same as a Torino, '72 Cougar is like a Mustang.
There are only two option for aftermarket control arms.  One are the arms from the Little Shop as pictured here: 

Several people have purchased and used these arms.  They don't offer any improvement in suspension geometry.  They do offer improved static geometry, as they have built in caster. 

There is also these arms from Hotchkiss.  They are listed for a Ford Galaxie, but these arms were used by Torino's as well.

There are no lower arms that I am aware of though.  As for bushings, you can use PST, Energy or stock rubber replacements.  For Ball joints and steering components, I just used Moog and Spicer parts.  PST offers entire front end kits but I personally thing something like Moog is better quality.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 4:57AM
personally i think the PST urethane bushings are too firm unless they have changed?
the littleshop arms are designed to use the energysuspension bushings that fit the regular a arms too Wink
 if you want i can did out all my receipts and get you the poly bushing part #'s....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2018 at 10:33AM
Hotchkis is supposed to have coming out lowers and spindles for the Galaxie as well...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 7:17AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Hotchkis is supposed to have coming out lowers and spindles for the Galaxie as well...

You're right Randy.  I checked the Hotchkis site and they have the lowers now, but at a CRAZY $780 a pop!  Other than being reinforced it doesn't seem to have much other advantages.  The Upper arms claim to improved the camber curve, but not sure if that requires the lower arms.

Do you know if these lower arms would work on a Torino?  The Ford part catalog lists them as 1965-68 being the same, then 69-72 (early), then 72+ for the fullsize cars. 

They do have a bunch of other parts for the suspension, including rear arms, sway bars, strut rods, and coil springs.  Interestingly the coil springs are rated at 700 in/lbs front, and 190 rear.  That's pretty close to what I had in my Torino, 710 in/lbs front and 183 rear.  I did end up switching to softer rears as I found them a little too harsh and they seemed to skip a bit on rough roads.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 8:33AM
The control arms swap, but there are visible differences in the ball joints and upper cross shafts. We used to swap the whole "Knee assembly" (Upper Control Arm, Lower Control Arm, and Spindle) from Torinos into 65-66 era Galaxies, and it bolts right in. Can't speak for the strut rods, as we used to leave the existing ones in the car.
Some lower control arms have a recessed pocket the springs in, which lowers the car. I think those came out of 67-71 Thunderbirds, but not really sure anymore. (30+ years ago...)
Springs (Front and rear) swap right in.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 10:12AM
[QUOTE=Rockatansky]
energy suspension, summit, Rockauto, prothane ...

is the 72 Montego body on frame or unibody?

just asking because IIRC the Cougar was unibody in 72, could make cross referencing complicated

It is a full frame car like the torino 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2018 at 10:16AM
i guess it was just the Cougar that lagged behind getting the frame,
making the jump from Mustang to the Intermediate family
72 GT Ute

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2018 at 11:05AM
Correct the cougar joined the midsize platform in 74 thru 79 (basically a montego)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2018 at 9:49AM
Little bit of follow-up.
I E-mailed Hotchkis about the galaxie control arms and they confirmed that the control arms will fit, but were unsure about ball joint to spindle compatability as the older cars use a different ball joint. The older cars were riveted in and the newer ones press in.
No answer as of yet on the strut rods...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2018 at 9:33AM
The bolt in ball joints were used on some 1972 Torinos too.  My '72 has bolt in lower ball joints.  According to the parts catalog the upper ball joints were used from pretty much 1958 to 1978 on most Ford with springs mount on the lower control arms. 

Since we know the bolt in lower Torino arms will interchange with the press in ball joint arms, I don't think there would be an issue with the Hotchkis arms.  I am just curious how much they actually improve the geometry. 

I am pretty sure the strut rods will not interchange since they have different part numbers from Ford.  It list the 1972 and newer Torino strut rods as 27 1/4" overall.  It doesn't list the early Ford fullsize cars, but he later 1970's are listed at 27 1/2".

Edited by 72FordGTS - 29-January-2018 at 9:43AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply