The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino power seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandpops4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino power seats
    Posted: 09-January-2018 at 11:56AM
I'm putting in power seats and I have the harness that was on the floor of the car. There are connections that were disconnected from underneath the dash. Is there a harness under the dash that I'm going to need to install the power seats?
Thanks Grandpops4
gm
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2018 at 12:19PM
I'm not sure how many different ways I can keep answering this same question for you.

If your car was not built with power seats, you WILL NOT have the factory wiring in the car for the power seats. I JUST went through this, in my own 73. You will need to wire in the power feed going to the heavy BK/white wire on your power seat harness. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2018 at 2:34PM
I've found power seat wiring in all the cars I've dug into
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2018 at 2:51PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

I've found power seat wiring in all the cars I've dug into

Where?? If it's there, I want to know. I still have final wire my seats in as well.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2018 at 5:31AM
Could the wiring under the seats be the Fasten seat belt buzzer/dash light wires rather than the power seat wires?  

Edited by gpd294 - 10-January-2018 at 5:33AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2018 at 6:46AM
encased in black plastic conduit channels IIRC right on the metal floor under the insulation

I'm not saying in any way that all cars got seat wiring pre-loaded but I'm 99% I've torn it out of at least a couple cars. no idea what would trigger the assy line to install seat harnesses either, could be year, assy plant, options group specific, IDK
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2018 at 9:33AM
A lot of cars got a "Standard" main harness with connections for things the cars didn't have.
Some of the assemblies/optional equipment used a "sub-harness" that plugged into the "standard" main harness.
My '73 Bird was not "factory-equipped" with an optional low fuel light. Literally ALL it needed was a bulb installed in the instrument cluster.
My '79 has extra plugs/pigtails in the wiring that appear to be for installing power windows/locks and a large gauge wiring harness running to the driver's seat area under the carpet. (Big red and black)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2018 at 11:13AM
Parts of the wiring may be there, but not all of it if the car wasn't built with that option. For example, my car has the harnesses in the doors for power door locks, but when the harness goes into the body, the plugs just end there. No power feed. 

The schematic shows that power windows, power door locks, and power seats, all use the same power source - the heavy black with white tracer wire. It starts at the starter solenoid, with a circuit breaker, and then feeds into the car through the firewall. If the car was built with any of those three options, it will have the power feed. If it was not built with any of those three options, you have to make your own power source as that heavy wire does not exist in the car. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply